PDA

View Full Version : The DMR concept

kal
10-30-07, 23:11
Since this is a more serious forum with lots of experienced military personnel, I would like to gain further knowledge on the designated marksman rifle doctrine.

I hear many times that a semi auto 7.62mm NATO is the best choice for DMR use but then I end up seeing M16A4's being used as DMR's (replacing the M21's???). I take a look at other countries and they seem to have followed the same route. The Germans, I believe, use a standard G36 as a DMR, the Brits use the L86 as a DMR, and the Swedes use their version of the FNC as a DMR, if I recall correctly.

I'm wondering, is the standardization of magazines and ammo, and probably most importantly the platform, more desirable than just simply having a bigger caliber? Or is it because at typical engagement ranges, the 5.56x45mm (77gr?) and 7.62x51mm have too similar terminal performance to break standardization?

Basically, are the 7.62mm DMR's being pushed into more specialized roles and the 5.56mm DMR's becoming commonplace because of their organic nature with the rest of the squads small arms and munition type?

Failure2Stop
10-31-07, 05:40
Basically, are the 7.62mm DMR's being pushed into more specialized roles and the 5.56mm DMR's becoming commonplace because of their organic nature with the rest of the squads small arms and munition type?

The Squad-DM concept is a bit difficult for some people to wrap their heads around, like the IAR.
But you pretty much have it there.

PALADIN-hgwt
10-31-07, 10:45
xxxxx

Erick Gelhaus
10-31-07, 12:11
The other premise of the SDM concept - if I can word this correctly - is to allow leadership (squad, platoon, company) access to a shooter who can engage in the area between that of the average rifleman and the distance where snipers typically kick in.

The course, when we went through it, was 100-500M. Only two or three shooters in the class had optics, so the rest of us did it with M4s or M16A4s and iron sights.

aloharover
10-31-07, 14:03
Not sure how the USMC is handling this.
I know of some ArNG units that still have M14/21 on hand and are pushing them into this role. But it isn't really a big Army practice.
Depending on the particular unit you might see snipers down at the Company level, but more typically they are at the Battalion level.
So the designated Marksman is intended to give the lower level units (Platoon/Squad) more accurate fire.
Again unit to unit there is a lot of difference as to how this is accomplished.