PDA

View Full Version : Milled my first 80% Lower

Reagans Rascals
08-05-11, 22:05
What are the FFl rules regarding the making of your own lower? I've thought about doing it but am completely clueless as to the laws.

m4forme
08-05-11, 22:21
You just can't sell them or give them away...

There is some good info here at this link...

https://www.tacticalmachining.com/

Click on the fourms and check it out...

Always wanted to mill my own and i did it...

I've got a set of prints for doing a lower out of plates screwed togeather i may try that as my skills get better...

m4forme
08-05-11, 23:01
It turned out O.K.

Got a little thin around one of the hammer holes but it'll work fine...

Need to make sure that the lower stays tight in the jig next time didn't notice it till it was too late...

CRAP!!!

Mocked it up with a fire control group and it worked well...

I have a old SP1 upper I'm going to mate it up too and use my Ciener 22lr kit in it as a dedicated .22 AR...

It was kind of a fun using my new mill to make something cool...

I'll post more as the build progresses...

Fobar
08-05-11, 23:42
Cool! I've thought about doing this also. I've got a friend with a machine shop that would let me do the work myself. Be kind of fun to do and be a learning experience also.

ARPATRIOT
08-06-11, 06:14
Looks good,practice makes perfect!Time for number two!!!

m4forme
08-06-11, 07:15
and it'll be better than #1...

Last time i ran any machine tools was in high school that was 30+ years ago...

Had a couple issues with my set up but i learned...

I need a test indacator and fixture set the mill head 90 deg to the table and to square up the vice a bit better than i did...

Also a 4 flute end mill to do my final cuts...

It's gotta be pretty too...

But those will be the next ones...

My son just turned 21 and we're going to do one for him and have it engraved with the Ace and 10 of spades and a special serial #...

And i'll have something to do this winter when it's 50 below...

a1fabweld
08-06-11, 08:13
I bought an 80%er and prints about 6 years ago & the thing is still sitting next to my mill. It's easier to just buy the damn thing finished for me.

m4forme
08-06-11, 10:34
Got out the parts box and whipped out a 22lr. AR...

Need to get a full stock set and a bolt catch kns FCG pins some dura-coat and i'll be a done deal...

The Black Dog mag fits a little tight in the mag well but thats ok it's just a blaster...

m4forme
08-20-11, 14:24
last weekend...

ran 3 bricks of .22lr through it and worked great...

no issues with the hammer pin hole i was worried about...

still may try a set of KNS pins just to keep the hole from wearing...

i'm going to pick up a DuraCoat kit and put a finish on it next payday...

Thomas M-4
08-20-11, 14:31
Is that a seigx2 or seigx3 milling machine?

m4forme
08-20-11, 16:23
it's a X2 mini mill...

actually works pretty good for where it was made...

Thomas M-4
08-21-11, 03:14
it's a X2 mini mill...

actually works pretty good for where it was made...

I have been lurking in cnc zone forum the LMS X2 version looks very tempting. I have some very limited maching experience and would like to learn more. I have a very small work space just a converted small bed room. The table top machine would be all I could accommodate. The CNC conversions look very tempting and I would like to learn more to add to the skill set.
I am just trying to contemplate all I could do with such a lay out.

LRS143
08-23-11, 07:04
What finish is suggested for the aluminum lower? Black Manganese Parkerizing it says is not for aluminum.

http://www.parkerizingkits.com/html/parkerizing_faqs.html

m4forme
08-27-11, 07:19
whats called for on a aluminum...

there are some good sights for home brew finishing...

Guys are having good luck with DuraCoat so i'm going to try that on the first couple i do...

AGENT TIKKI
08-27-11, 12:00
I was able to do 5 lowers at the same time with some friends, and had a local shop anodize them to the tune of $125 for all 5. My only suggestion is that you engrave before anodizing, or only laser engrave after anodizing.

Please don't ask me how I know:suicide2:

m4forme
12-24-11, 06:33
the big brown truck dropped off my order from Brownells the other day...

Picked up one of the DuraCoat kits with the Preval sprayer...
Sprayed material a little heavy but worked well... I'll probally get a airbrush for the next time...

The only issue was not giving enough dry time before installing the parts... Put a couple nicks in the finish but not a big deal... It's just a beater rifle to drag around the ranch...

So here's a run down on what it cost to do this...

Colt SP1 upper $400

Harbor Freight Mill $450

Tooling...
Vice,end mills,drill bits,collets & set up tools ect $450

80% lower & jig $200

LPK,used A2 stock,KNS pins & DuraCoat $150

So i have $1650 into making my own rifle and a few hours my of time...

Was it worth it i'd say yes it was alot of fun learning how to do this myself...

My next one will be a 20 inch A4...
Palmetto Armory is killing me with there 20 inch CHF kits...
Gotta have one!!!

ryr8828
12-24-11, 08:47
Is this what you used to do this?
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_11326.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/two-speed-variable-bench-mill-drill-machine-44991.html

I'm kind of interested.

m4forme
12-24-11, 09:33
mill i bought... It was $430 0r $460 shipped found a coupon code that gave me a good discount...

Bought the tooling from Little Machine Shop.com... They have starter kits for around $300 but were out so i had to piece one togeather...
The vice i got is a little big for the table but it works...

McMaster Carr is a good place to get single drill bits and end mills...

Tactical Machining is where i got my jig and lower... I think there stuff is very good... The jig works very well... The receivers i got have the keyhole forge mark on them... They also have a very good builders fourm...

https://www.tacticalmachining.com/

Next time I'm going to try anodize my own there are kits out there for around $200... It can be done small scale with old coolers and 5 gallon buckets and crap you can find at second hand stores...

Is doing this cost effective probally not we can all get lowers for $50 on sale... But what fun is that when you can mill your own and teach yourself a new skill...

What I'd like to do is make my own unique semi auto rifle like a version of the Armalite AR-16... It could be done it would take a little time...

Look what Mr. Stoner created out of his small shop all those years ago...

ryr8828
12-24-11, 09:44
Thanks for the info, I need to put it on my retirement list. Looks like an interesting hobby.