PDA

View Full Version : Some additional prep concerns

jhs1969
08-06-11, 09:47
For my situation....

I wear corrective lenses (glasses), I would like to find a frame/s with additional replaceable lenses that are user replaceable to cover any future steps in lens RX. Anyone have any thoughts or where I may be able get a start on this?

Batteries, I would also like aquire a small portable solar system and rechargable batteries to keep my lights and optics running over a long term situation. Sizes are 123s and AAs. Again, any thoughts on where to start?

And finally food storage, any ideas how long dried rice and beans will keep?

Please feel free to elaborate on any of these concerns or any other concerns or ideas you may want to introduce. My personal preps are probably much stronger than the average person in my AO but these mentioned items are some of my known weak points that I'd like to begin addressing.

jhs1969
08-06-11, 10:19
Thanks, I'll look into these. I'm also planning an eye exam in the next few months and thought of asking the opt. doc of this idea as well. Thanks again.

Somehow my reply posted ahead of your post, anyway thanks again.

Just a Jarhead
08-06-11, 10:32
Thanks, I'll look into these. I'm also planning an eye exam in the next few months and thought of asking the opt. doc of this idea as well. Thanks again.

Somehow my reply posted ahead of your post, anyway thanks again.

These are Oakleys prescription glasses. http://www.oakley.com/store/products/men/sunglasses/prescription

Just question if the lenses are interchangeable. Not all frames are. Also a lot of guys like WileyX check them out and the Rudy Project as well.

Just a Jarhead
08-06-11, 11:03
I wear corrective lenses (glasses), I would like to find a frame/s with additional replaceable lenses that are user replaceable to cover any future steps in lens RX. Anyone have any thoughts or where I may be able get a start on this?

I wear contacts and recoginizing that they may not always be available and that I'm up shits creek if I can't see, about a year ago I
went and got these Oakley Flak Jacket sunglasses (black frames). http://www.oakley.com/products/4672/25153 with polarized lenses non-prescription.

I took the frames to Pearle Vision Center & they had made for me a set each of sunglass prescription polarized ballistic lenses & clear prescription ballistic lenses. The lenses pop right in and out . The hardshell case the Flak Jackets come with hold all 3 sets of lenses in slots.

Not cheap, the whole thing cost me about $700.00 but worth it to me. They're rugged and durable and have held up great over the past year. I wear them in the ocean every weekend as well shoot often with them.

a1fabweld
08-06-11, 11:39
I made it a goal to standardize all my electronics to AA & 9 volt batteries. I bought a bunch of rechargeable batteries and multiple solar chargers. For GP flashlights I bought the Fenix LD20. One for each person in my family. They run on AA's, multiple brightness settings, & on the lowest setting which is 7 lumens, battery life is 70 hours. I stay away from anything that runs on 123 batteries because they don't make rechargeables or chargers currently. Yes they do last a long time but will die. AA's are not as efficient as 123's but can be solar charged which is key to me. For rifle optics I went with Aimpoint on all my carbines due to their extended run time.

hatidua
08-06-11, 15:53
I made it a goal to standardize all my electronics to AA & 9 volt batteries. I bought a bunch of rechargeable batteries and multiple solar chargers. For GP flashlights I bought the Fenix LD20. One for each person in my family. They run on AA's, multiple brightness settings, & on the lowest setting which is 7 lumens, battery life is 70 hours. I stay away from anything that runs on 123 batteries because they don't make rechargeables or chargers currently. Yes they do last a long time but will die. AA's are not as efficient as 123's but can be solar charged which is key to me.

I ditched all my 123-powered lights as well and am 100% AA-only. They may not be the latest/greatest, but you can find them ANYWHERE, and they are cheap.

Ironman8
08-06-11, 16:16
I made it a goal to standardize all my electronics to AA & 9 volt batteries. I bought a bunch of rechargeable batteries and multiple solar chargers. For GP flashlights I bought the Fenix LD20. One for each person in my family. They run on AA's, multiple brightness settings, & on the lowest setting which is 7 lumens, battery life is 70 hours. I stay away from anything that runs on 123 batteries because they don't make rechargeables or chargers currently. Yes they do last a long time but will die. AA's are not as efficient as 123's but can be solar charged which is key to me. For rifle optics I went with Aimpoint on all my carbines due to their extended run time.

I thought there were rechargeable 123s? And chargers?

mtneer13
08-06-11, 16:32
For my situation....

Batteries, I would also like aquire a small portable solar system and rechargable batteries to keep my lights and optics running over a long term situation. Sizes are 123s and AAs. Again, any thoughts on where to start?

And finally food storage, any ideas how long dried rice and beans will keep?

Please feel free to elaborate on any of these concerns or any other concerns or ideas you may want to introduce. My personal preps are probably much stronger than the average person in my AO but these mentioned items are some of my known weak points that I'd like to begin addressing.

i am in the same boat for the eye situation and i have a strong script...6.75 powers...i went to the doc this year and got two sets of eyeglasses this year...