PDA

View Full Version : (Help) factory gas port in barrel to big

1craig1
10-31-07, 01:09
..So ever since I purchased my colt 16" mt 6731 I have been having problems with extract/feed. It is completely stock except I had a perm. installed a2 style muzzle brake and throat/ ramp's polished.. I got frustrated cause no one in ca. will work on it . I couldnt find the answer's to fix it so I parked it in the safe for the last 5 year's ..
.. Well im back Thank you to this site and all of your great post on it im into shooting again.. So i pulled her out and have been trying to trouble shoot the prob. myself . For the last 2 week's i thought i had a short stroke prob . .. But i think it is the opposite i checked the gas port size and it is .093 from what i've read it should be .063 .. If i read correctly .093 is for a 20" barrel not 16".
.. Now my problem.. Talked to colt today their cust. service over the phone suck's they wont give me any info .. Their only advice it to send it in .. They wont even tell me if they will cover their factory defect and they may or may not cover it due to the fact i had a muzzle brake put on it..
.. Fnknditlsht ....What does a brake even have to do with a dam Port hole there 10" apart ..I hate to ship it to them for $75 for them to tell me sorry...
.. Are my #'s correct on port sizes..
.. Is there anything i can do to have the problem fixed..
Or better yet do any of you guy's work or have connection's at colt that can help me out... Thank's in advance..
.. Help what do I do!!! Craig

Shihan
10-31-07, 01:50
Ship it im sure they will cover it if it is their fault. If you have work done to it and it dosent help my guess is you will be SOL with Colts warranty.

Peacekeeper1408
10-31-07, 10:25
I've been in your shoes. I had a Bushmaster 14.5" barrel with almost a .10" gas port. It had a stout recoil because it was cycling so hard. I first used an adjustable gas tube, which fixed the problem, but then I was limited to the handguards I could use. I sent my barrel to ADCO and they welded over the port and redrilled it. Runs like a top now and I think it was only about $50. Might be something to consider if Colt says you're SOL.

markm
10-31-07, 10:39
I'd send it to Ken Elmore at S.A.W..... Or at least contact him or Tina for advice...

even if it meant paying for work out of my pocket.

MX5
11-01-07, 07:02
First let's look at the issues at hand:

"..So ever since I purchased my colt 16" mt 6731 I have been having problems with extract/feed. It is completely stock except I had a perm. installed a2 style muzzle brake and throat/ ramp's polished.. I got frustrated cause no one in ca. will work on it . I couldnt find the answer's to fix it so I parked it in the safe for the last 5 year's .."

If the weapon was purchased new, by you, and it's never cycled correctly, I'd first look at a good cleaning, check the BCG to ensure it's properly staked and not loose. Then lube properly and test with good factory ammo with a known good, proven magazine. You'd be amazed how many AR based weapons have been 'fixed' with proper lube.

"i had a short stroke prob . .. But i think it is the opposite i checked the gas port size and it is .093 from what i've read it should be .063 .. If i read correctly .093 is for a 20" barrel not 16".
.. Now my problem.. Talked to colt today their cust. service over the phone suck's they wont give me any info .. Their only advice it to send it in .. They wont even tell me if they will cover their factory defect and they may or may not cover it due to the fact i had a muzzle brake put on it..
.. Fnknditlsht ....What does a brake even have to do with a dam Port hole there 10" apart ..I hate to ship it to them for $75 for them to tell me sorry...
.. Are my #'s correct on port sizes..
.. Is there anything i can do to have the problem fixed.."

With all due respect, I would not take a new Colt and immediately assume the gas port is incorrect. For that matter I've seen many people that don't know how to correctly measure a gas port. I don't know you, I'm not saying you don't know how to do this, and I don't want to imply or assume anything. It's just that I'd start from square one and take small logical steps first. In Colt's defense, from a legal liability standpoint, all bets could be off once that weapon has been modified, especially if it is a permanant mod, regardless of how it effects the perceived problem. They might have made an error - or not.

There's other things I'd look to first that are easier to diagnose and correct.

Good Luck