PDA

View Full Version : Noveske Rogue Hunter 16 vs 18 stainless 5.56 upper?

jimmyp
08-06-11, 13:17
I am ready to pull the trigger on a new upper to hunt deer with this year. I load the 62 Grain TSX over TAC, but my current Noveske with VIS and Nightforce is a tad heavier than I want to lug around. I have a new LMT lower with Sopmod stock, I will replace the trigger with a "less expensive" Rock River NM trigger for now. An LT-104 with the 1 inch inserts and a Zeiss Diavari 3x9x36 that I already own will be on top of it.

The 16 inch barrels are pretty loud when fired even once without hearing protection, I normally hunt with 20-24 inch barreled larger rifles, (but not this year)! Firing a 308 with a 22 inch barrel once is not terrible on your ears at least it does not seem so in the heat of the moment but again "what did you say" has become my catch phrase!

No doubt the 16 will be handier, however the 18 inch at 4 ounces more in weight may get the muzzle blast away from my face a bit more. I don't think velocity is going to change enough to make a difference at the sub 100 yard sub 170 pound deer I will shoot this year. I don't think 4 ounces one way or the other will matter, the rifle should be in the ballpark of 7.5 pounds.

I would love to hear your comments or recommendations regards either the 16 or 18 inch barrel length in the Noveske rogue hunter!

Ironman8
08-06-11, 15:13
I have been looking at the Rogue Hunter for a precision/hunting build as well. I will def be going with a 16" because I will probably suppress it in the future. I really doubt that the extra 2" will make a noticeable difference in muzzle blast and like you said, 16" would be more handier, and the ballistics (especially within 100 yds) would be negligible between the two. Maybe you should think about having a pair of SF plugs or cheap muffs for protection that you could throw on (if you have the time). I would go with the 16".

TWR
08-06-11, 17:01
I kinda stuck my own together with the Noveske 16" light weight barrel. I have an 18" Noveske SPR to compare noise and velocity.

The 16" is now my favorite, velocity of the 77gr SMK reloads I shoot (TAC) averaged 2650fps while shooting the same load in the 18" yielded 2721fps average shot back to back on the same day, same conditions.

As for noise difference, some say the 18" isn't as loud but I have some hearing loss and can't tell the difference, guns is loud regardless of barrel length, though I hunt without ear pro.

The 16" would get the nod if I just had one.

Just recognised the name, you already know this.

djegators
08-06-11, 17:31
Been considering this also, and will probably go with an 18" solely because I already have several 16" ARs, and the 18" has a longer gas system.