PDA

View Full Version : Larue Sling's Excess Slack- What to Do?

cop1211
08-06-11, 18:02
This.

aaron_c
08-06-11, 18:12
Hey guys, I got my new package from Larue in yesterday and got it all set up (index clips, hand stops, and the QD sling). My front adjustment strap has a lot of extra material because I tightened it down all the way and let some out of the rear adjustment, to make it easier for my lanky arms to reach the quick-adjust strap.

What have you all done with the excess from the adjustment points? I thought about cutting it off but that might leave it frayed, or cut/burn to eliminate the fraying but then I may need it at some point. Has anyone used electrical tape to stick it to the main strap, and keep it from flopping around?

Duffy
08-06-11, 18:20
I cut and singed the frays. I made the mistake of cutting it too close, the ones I did after that had more slack :)

aaron_c
08-06-11, 19:17
Did you just singe with the flame of a lighter, running it over the end a few times? I've never used them for anything more than burning a loose thread off a backpack etc.

ra2bach
08-07-11, 11:31
the best way is to heat up a knife till it glows red and make the cut, sealing the threads in the process. don't use a good knife as it will be trash afterward...

jonconsiglio
08-07-11, 11:57
I often end up with extra slack as I use the QD in the stock and rear of the handguard which is about the shortest configuration. I always cut and singe it, but went too far once. Now I leave enough and if I have too, I'll tape it.

ARPATRIOT
08-07-11, 12:49
the best way is to heat up a knife till it glows red and make the cut, sealing the threads in the process. don't use a good knife as it will be trash afterward...

Damn good idea!I'll have to remember this.

aaron_c
08-07-11, 15:35
Yeah I'm running that same configuration, the stock swivel and the rear handguard swivel. I'm thinking a knife cut, followed up with a lighter is my best bet.

ucrt
08-07-11, 15:42

I roll the slack end(s) up and use a rubber band or Ty-Rap until I use the sling to make sure the length is right.

To cut it, I take a large (12P+) nail, heat it red-hot and then use the nail to cut it off.

I have done several slings, belts, straps, etc and the nail works good. Seems like the nail's mass holds the heat a while longer than a piece of thin metal so it "cauterizes" the ends of the cut very well.

aaron_c
08-07-11, 16:27

I roll the slack end(s) up and use a rubber band or Ty-Rap until I use the sling to make sure the length is right.

To cut it, I take a large (12P+) nail, heat it red-hot and then use the nail to cut it off.

I have done several slings, belts, straps, etc and the nail works good. Seems like the nail's mass holds the heat a while longer than a piece of thin metal so it "cauterizes" the ends of the cut very well.

That's an interesting idea, ucrt. I don't have the tools and such available to heat something up to that point. I could probably do it the next time I go to my dads house- there's just not enough space in this apartment to keep any respectable set of tools lol.

kerplode
08-08-11, 13:33

This is what I usually do, except I use an old utility knife razor blade. Hold it with vice grips or some other kind of pliers, heat it with a plumbing blow torch until it glows red, then push it straight down through the webbing. Makes a clean, professional looking cut.

I like to cut the webbing on a bit of a diagonal bias as well, so it comes to a blunt point on one side. I think it makes it a little easier to feed back throught the buckles.

Duffy
08-08-11, 14:04
I use a pair of scissors, then run a lighter over couple of times to seal the loose ends, most of the time it looks like it came that way :p

Not as elegant as a red hot knife but it doesn't cost anything (ruined blade) and it works ;)

aaron_c
08-08-11, 18:03
Yeah, I ended up using a knife and then running a lighter over the end last night. After that I went ahead and ran a piece of electrical tape around the end of the straps I left (didn't want to take too much away) and it looks great.

ra2bach
08-08-11, 21:16
This is what I usually do, except I use an old utility knife razor blade. Hold it with vice grips or some other kind of pliers, heat it with a plumbing blow torch until it glows red, then push it straight down through the webbing. Makes a clean, professional looking cut.

I like to cut the webbing on a bit of a diagonal bias as well, so it comes to a blunt point on one side. I think it makes it a little easier to feed back throught the buckles.

yeah, utility knife, old butter or paring knife, cheap boyscout folder, whatever you got that isn't worth anything.

I use an old paint scraper called a 5-in-1. it's got a bit of a sharp edge but it doesn't really have to be sharp enough to cut. it's the heat the melts its way through the web as you push it against a solid surface...