PDA

View Full Version : M&P jamming while chambering a round

Trvlngnrs
08-06-11, 22:24
I've not had that problem with any of my M&P's.

Did she ride the slide forward with her hand?

Trvlngnrs

chilic82
08-06-11, 22:51
I have a new M&P9FS. My wife was startled this evening while I was away,grabbed it, chambered a round,and found that it was jammed. It looks like the nose of the bullet is pressing against the feed ramp, and the slide doesn't have enough force to chamber it. Anyone else have these probs, or ever heard of it?

iCarbine
08-06-11, 23:26
What ammunition?

Are you riding the slide forward, reducing its velocity and, thus, its power to chamber a round?

Can you replicate the malfunction?

What's the gun's history?

Why not just leave a round chambered all of the time, thus, eliminating the "need" to always unload the gun and waste that round of ammo?

Pictures?

nickdrak
08-06-11, 23:38
Assuming she slammed the magazine in with the slide locked back, this happens with every M&P9 fs I have ever handled/shot when loading duty/hollwpoint ammo. I work for a pd where several of us carry them as our duty weapons. I have tried the "auto forward" technique with atleast 10 different M&P9's and they all get the top round jammed up against the bottom of the feedramp when using hollowpoint ammo. With fmj ball ammo this does not occur.

Even worse results with a brand new one I just picked up last week:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-w2i7OWkyY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

iCarbine
08-06-11, 23:47
This is why you perform administrative loading well before an emergency arises. You shouldn't need to dick with your gun when the alarm is going off.

KhanRad
08-06-11, 23:50
The 9mm has a tendency to nose dive because the casing has tapered walls. So, when you stack it in a straight walled magazine, you end up with space near the front of the casing. The most reliable method of feeding the 9mm into a weapon is with a curved magazine like that of the MP5 so that that space is eliminated.

That being said, you can't curve a pistol magazine. So, in order to make feeding as reliable as possible, most manufacturers will extend the feed ramp down into the magazine well quite a bit to compensate for nose dive for the 9mm. You'll see longer feed ramps in Glocks, Sigs, and H&Ks.

I know that the M&P started off as a .40S&W, and that is the default production line. However, the .40(and .45 for the matter) does not need an extended feed ramp because it uses a straight walled cased which reduces nose diving. There is virtually no difference in the length of the .40 and 9mm feed ramps in the M&P......something that S&W needs to address.

chilic82
08-06-11, 23:55
Assuming she slammed the magazine in with the slide locked back, this happens with every M&P9 fs I have ever handled/shot when loading duty/hollwpoint ammo. I work for a pd where several of us carry them as our duty weapons. I have tried the "auto forward" technique with atleast 10 different M&P9's and they all get the top round jammed up against the bottom of the feedramp when using hollowpoint ammo. With fmj ball ammo this does not occur.

Even worse results with a brand new one I just picked up last week:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-w2i7OWkyY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is what happens, but not while trying to auto forward. It happens when you have a mag in the gun and try to chamber a round. I don't know if she rode the slide or not, but I just tried it by doing it as I normally do, and the bullet moved about 3 mm and the slide stopped, with the bullet nose pressed against the feed ramp. I have noticed this before, as the chambering is always jerky/snappy/not smooth. I am using 124grn Gold Dot +p ammunition. The gun has about 200 rounds thru it. I don't leave it loaded, as I have young child, and don't have a safe yet (I've thought this thru plenty, and made my own decision to chamber when needed in my house.I live in a small slow town, that doesn't get much attention, while carrying it is loaded).

BCmJUnKie
08-07-11, 00:41
Why not just leave a round chambered all of the time, thus, eliminating the "need" to always unload the gun and waste that round of ammo?

Pictures?

This. Keep it loaded. Oil it. Try a different mag

nickdrak
08-07-11, 00:50
The issue also occurs during emergency reloads and not just the initial loading process.

iCarbine
08-07-11, 07:29
Double post.

iCarbine
08-07-11, 08:36
This is what happens, but not while trying to auto forward. It happens when you have a mag in the gun and try to chamber a round. I don't know if she rode the slide or not, but I just tried it by doing it as I normally do, and the bullet moved about 3 mm and the slide stopped, with the bullet nose pressed against the feed ramp. I have noticed this before, as the chambering is always jerky/snappy/not smooth. I am using 124grn Gold Dot +p ammunition. The gun has about 200 rounds thru it. I don't leave it loaded, as I have young child, and don't have a safe yet (I've thought this thru plenty, and made my own decision to chamber when needed in my house.I live in a small slow town, that doesn't get much attention, while carrying it is loaded).

What type(s) of ammunition did you run during that 200 rounds. I'd like to assume your defensive loads made up a sizable portion of that 200 rounds, however, has the gun only started choking since your reliability testing? How many mags do you have and were they also tested with your ammunition?

With all due respect to your decision to leave the gun unloaded while at home, I too have small children and while my handgun is not in a safe it is secured, out of reach and in it's holster with a round chambered. I see a lot of uneccesary manipulation in your setup which will only increase the risk and likelihood of mistakes.

chilic82
08-07-11, 09:21
I'm not sure if I ever shot any of the 124 grn GD or not. I have shot some 115 hollowpoints and it cycled fine, the rest were WWB. The action has always been jerky/catchy. It has never chambered anything as smooth as my Sig or HK.

jmreagan
08-07-11, 10:03
The issue also occurs during emergency reloads and not just the initial loading process.

I'd contact S&W for a call tag. Then send it with the offending magazine to them so they can fix it. Their customer service is some of the best.

iCarbine
08-07-11, 10:19
I'd also contact Smith and Wesson.

But you have also revealed why we must conduct thorough reliability testing with not only training ammo, but your chosen defensive load as well.

Not to be rude or inconsiderate, but the manner in which you've added this pistol to your defensive plan was very poor. You must be absolutely certain that your gun/ammo combination is reliable. Use the search button and brush up on reliability testing before Murphy puts you in a bad spot.

I'd also suggest you start a log book to track your round count, ammo type, performance and malfunctions (if any). Number your mags as well, if you have not done so already as this will be helpful in diagnosing future malfunctions.

chilic82
08-07-11, 10:48
I'd also contact Smith and Wesson.

But you have also revealed why we must conduct thorough reliability testing with not only training ammo, but your chosen defensive load as well.

Not to be rude or inconsiderate, but the manner in which you've added this pistol to your defensive plan was very poor. You must be absolutely certain that your gun/ammo combination is reliable. Use the search button and brush up on reliability testing before Murphy puts you in a bad spot.

I'd also suggest you start a log book to track your round count, ammo type, performance and malfunctions (if any). Number your mags as well, if you have not done so already as this will be helpful in diagnosing future malfunctions.

I agree, I could have done a much better job at testing this certain ammo. I have been very busy and to be honest I have never had a gun (12 yes of shooting) that would act like this. They would all at least feed the ammo. This one won't even do that, and when it does it does it very harshly. To be honest, if I have to conduct a scientific experiment on a handgun, I will more than likely sell it and move on. I've had too many good experiences with other line of handguns to spen that much time and research on one gun.

nickdrak
08-07-11, 11:15
I'd contact S&W for a call tag. Then send it with the offending magazine to them so they can fix it. Their customer service is some of the best.

My own experience is based on 10+ different (including 3 of my own) M&P9's (4.25" fullsize) with 15 of my own magazines and every other magazine from the other owners/officers pistols over the past 4 years.

Additionally, I have replicated the "Auto forwarding"/failure to feed issue with several different defensive loads. I have also replicated it with a KKM match barrel and the different defensive loads. It is not specific to my 3 pistols, or the several other M&P9's that I have handled. I am confident I can replicate the same with ANY M&P9 fullsize that is handed to me.

I have done the testing based off of my training experience with the platform, and I am comfortable carrying the platform and use either the slide stop or the over the top method to send the slide into battery during loading, emergency reloads etc. I avoid employing the "auto forward" technique for all of my pistol platforms.

I could make the ftf issue occur at-will with any of the pistols I have handled. The failure to chamber issue shown in the video I posted is a new issue reserved for that specific pistol and all of its new style mags.

I believe KhanRad is spot-on regarding the need for an extended feedramp on the 9mm M&P's.

Plato
09-28-11, 18:13
I have witnessed this too but it has not been consistent in its occurrence.

Randy Lee
09-28-11, 18:52
My own experience is based on 10+ different (including 3 of my own) M&P9's (4.25" fullsize) with 15 of my own magazines and every other magazine from the other owners/officers pistols over the past 4 years.

Additionally, I have replicated the "Auto forwarding"/failure to feed issue with several different defensive loads. I have also replicated it with a KKM match barrel and the different defensive loads. It is not specific to my 3 pistols, or the several other M&P9's that I have handled. I am confident I can replicate the same with ANY M&P9 fullsize that is handed to me.

I have done the testing based off of my training experience with the platform, and I am comfortable carrying the platform and use either the slide stop or the over the top method to send the slide into battery during loading, emergency reloads etc. I avoid employing the "auto forward" technique for all of my pistol platforms.

I could make the ftf issue occur at-will with any of the pistols I have handled. The failure to chamber issue shown in the video I posted is a new issue reserved for that specific pistol and all of its new style mags.

I believe KhanRad is spot-on regarding the need for an extended feedramp on the 9mm M&P's.

Hi Nick,

Can you tell me if the mags were loaded to max capacity when the slide was closing on an empty chamber?

-Randy

bmg
09-28-11, 20:02
I've had this happen twice with someone else shooting my M&P 5" pro. Ammo was 124+p GD. The two times it happened it was always the second to the last round hung up on the feedramp. Trying to chamber by racking the slide or locking the slide back and pressing the slide release was unsuccessful (bullet setback??). I'd lock the slide back, load another couple of rounds in the mag, chamber a round and then empty the mag with no further problems. It's never happened with me shooting.