PDA

View Full Version : vortex strikefire

dwwalters
08-07-11, 01:31
im trying to decide on the strikefire, i have a patrol rifle school coming up. any reviews?

jenrick
08-07-11, 03:18
I taught a rifle school for an agency a friend works for and they had outfitted their rifles with Strikefires. They held up in class, that's about all I can tell you. Overall they seem like a decent RDS for police work, if your sight isn't going to get banged around too much.

-Jenrick

sammage
08-07-11, 09:39
If this is actually going on a duty weapon, you owe it to yourself to save a little more for a used Aimpoint.

dwwalters
08-07-11, 11:04
thanks for the feedback

taylodr
08-07-11, 11:36
I have one, and it works well. I am not LE or Military.

ARPATRIOT
08-07-11, 11:51
Great warranty/CS,but i wouldn't trust my life with one.

aaron_c
08-07-11, 16:25
The problem is, once you get a lower 1/3 or a QD mount to go on it, you've spend $300+ and you're less than $100 away from an EOTech, or about $100 or less from an Aimpoint PRO that would get you 20x the battery life probably.

jenrick
08-08-11, 03:57
The Strikefire come with a decent mount (not a QD one though) that allows for absolute co-witness. If you use a MBUS or similar foldable rear sight and stow them it works quiet well.

-Jenrick

Fr0ntal0b0t0my
08-11-11, 00:36
Have to agree with previous post from sammage. I am a fan of Vortex, they have an excellent product and excellent CS. I have nothing but good things to say about my Viper PST that is used for hunting. However; if I were betting my life on an illuminated optic which I do, it would be an Aimpoint, Eotech, or Trijicon period. Order of preference would depend on specific needs that are for you to decide.

VIP3R 237
08-11-11, 01:11
I have a strikefire on a ptr91 and after close to a thousand rounds it's held up pretty well and battery life is decent. I just put a SPARC on my newest carbine and i like the weight and size better than the strikefire but the strikefire has better field of view and easier to get qd style mounts for. To me the vortex rds kinda bridges the gap between the aimpoint, eotech, trijicon style and the cheap ass chiniese crap. Good quality for decent prices but you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get.

gtriever
08-11-11, 06:25
I just picked one up at a flea market yesterday for $75.00 NIB. I figure for that price it's worth checking out.

Singlestack Wonder
08-11-11, 11:04
Save a little longer and get an Aimpoint and you will not have buyer's remorse in the future.

doug1193
08-12-11, 14:51
A large Northwest police agency tested one. They mounted it on a mini-14 and shot hundreds of rounds none stop causing it to heat up until they couldn't hold onto it without gloves and take a "beating" from the empty brass striking the bottom of it. The repeatedly mounted and removed it, tossed it across the room landing on carpeted concrete as well as concrete. The submerged it for an extended period of time, they froze it.
The strikefire did not fail and did not lose zero. Now this is just one sample, but for the price, this one showed to be very durable.

aaron_c
08-12-11, 19:41
I actually don't question their durability much at all. I believe Chigago PD issued them a couple years back. But for me, the battery life of the Aimpoint (plus quicker release mounts, even in QRP2 form) makes it worth the price of entry. I wouldn't even consider anything but an Aimpoint or EOTech if I used it for my job, honestly- but on my personal rifle, I guess it would probably work just fine for me.

richdkim77
08-13-11, 06:19
A large Northwest police agency tested one. They mounted it on a mini-14 and shot hundreds of rounds none stop causing it to heat up until they couldn't hold onto it without gloves and take a "beating" from the empty brass striking the bottom of it. The repeatedly mounted and removed it, tossed it across the room landing on carpeted concrete as well as concrete. The submerged it for an extended period of time, they froze it.
The strikefire did not fail and did not lose zero. Now this is just one sample, but for the price, this one showed to be very durable.

IMHO, not enough rounds were put down the pipe with the Vortex to conclude this optic was durable enough for patrol use. Most cops are lazy with their gear and their maintenence. I would personally never use this on a patrol rifle. YMMV.

J_Hernandez
08-13-11, 10:39
good optic, i like mine. but as everyone said. i'd rather have an Aimpoint with a 2moa dot and longer battery life