PDA

View Full Version : Steel feed lips vs. Plastic

Bauer C
08-07-11, 14:08
Just wondering if anyone has the same experience as me.

Chambering the first round out of my pmags is very smooth, and I don't have to let the bolt just slam forward. However on my steel magazines sometimes letting it slam shut won't completely chamber a round. The steel feed lips seem to dig in and scratch the casings while sliding out.

Is this common with steel mags? Every round out of them has a pretty good scratch running the length of the case.

Pmags are loaded with 29 rounds, steel are loaded with 28.

kmrtnsn
08-07-11, 15:06
It isn't the feed lips that are causing your problem with your GI mags, it the front edge of the magazine. If you load a couple of rounds and look at the front edge where the bullet tip rises you'll see a fairly crudely cut rectangular notch. If you slide a round forward, mimicking the bolt stripping a round you'll see that the case catches on this notch consistently, whether feeding from right side or left. I took my Dremel tool and radiused and smoothed those rectangular notches. I also deburred the underside of the feed lips with a straight edged tool.

BillyJack
08-07-11, 19:24
I have the Lancer AWM 30 round magazines. I load them up with 30 and I have not noticed the "digging in" of the casing, at the front of the steel feelips.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.466490,-82.914762