PDA

View Full Version : Does more than one company manufacture buffers?

kc7txm
10-31-07, 09:39
I've "heard" from people (arfcom people) that there is only one company that manufacturer's carbine buffers as such every company's buffers are the same. I've had a hard time believing this as several of mine look a bit different. Does anyone know if there are multiple buffer manufacturers and/or which companies use which manufacturers?

toddackerman
10-31-07, 15:40
I've "heard" from people (arfcom people) that there is only one company that manufacturer's buffers as such every company's buffers are the same. I've had a hard time believing this as several of mine look a bit different. Does anyone know if there are multiple buffer manufacturers and/or which companies use which manufacturers?

Which buffer? Recoil or extractor?

Tack

kc7txm
10-31-07, 16:20
Which buffer? Recoil or extractor?

The carbine (or rifle for that matter) recoil buffer assembly.

toddackerman
10-31-07, 17:40
The carbine (or rifle for that matter) recoil buffer assembly.

This is only speculation...I could be wrong.

Just like there are higher end parts for just about everything on the AR platform, I would bet for an example that Colt doesn't use the same recoil buffer as DPMS. One of the ways that the lower priced makers of the AR keep prices down are by using less expensive parts. And we all know that you get what you pay for. For sure, the springs are not all the same in the assembly.

Remember to stake the castle nut when you're done installing a new buffer tube. ;)

Tack

Shihan
10-31-07, 18:50
Todd, hes talking about the buffer that goes into the tube.

kc7txm
10-31-07, 19:01

Roger, the carbine buffer assembly (the buffer in the receiver extension that dampens the bolt's movement during recoil), the assembly with three weights inside of a buffer body (the heavy / H buffers have tungsten and steel weights, H has 1 tungsten, H2 has 2, H3 has 3, whereas the standard carbine buffer has 3 steel weights).

BravoCompanyUSA
11-01-07, 07:20
There is more than one company making buffers.
And a company can make them a couple different ways.

ST911
11-01-07, 10:18
This is only speculation...I could be wrong.

Just like there are higher end parts for just about everything on the AR platform, I would bet for an example that Colt doesn't use the same recoil buffer as DPMS. One of the ways that the lower priced makers of the AR keep prices down are by using less expensive parts. And we all know that you get what you pay for. For sure, the springs are not all the same in the assembly.

Having taken apart a bunch of buffers over the years, there can be quite a difference between manufacturers, and the same manufacturer over time. Bird shot, chunks of pot metal, chunks of something, plastic, or good stuff.

But all "good-as." :rolleyes:

toddackerman
11-01-07, 17:08

Got 'cha.

Tack

C4IGrant
11-01-07, 18:08
There are at least 2 companies making them and most likely 3.

C4