PDA

View Full Version : How is the HK LEM trigger compared to a SIG DAK trigger?

Kalash
08-07-11, 19:40
I'm wanting a to add a new 45 to my toolbox and the HK45 LEM has piqued my curiosity. I owned a Custom Shop SIG P239 SAS with the DAK trigger before and could never warm up to it. The 7# trigger pull was too heavy and the reset was too long for me also. Is the HK LEM trigger compareable to the SIG DAK or a different animal altogether? Unfortunately, there aren't any locally for me to try. For those who have shot both, could you share your opinions please.

F-Trooper05
08-07-11, 20:51
Read this... http://pistol-training.com/articles/hk-lem-vs-sig-dak

El Vaquero
08-07-11, 21:43
That's a very good article. Sums it all up very nicely. Here's my two cents:

I've shot both fairly extensively. I have a full size USP .40 that came from the factory in LEM. It has a fairly heavy trigger pull, comparable to the DAK but with a much shorter reset. I just recently purchased a LEM kit for my USP compact .40 and ended up using a different trigger spring which was much lighter and much more enjoyable to shoot. You can get more info at HKPRO.net, tons of threads on the LEM.

Biggest difference is the shorter reset on the H&K LEM. I'm not a big fan of the DAK.

kmrtnsn
08-07-11, 22:05
I currently have a P229DAK .40 as an issue piece. I also carry a P2000SK (LEM) .40 as an alternate. Previous to the SIG I carried a HK USPc LEM, also in .40. I have over 12,000 rounds through the SIG(s), plural as the first one was replaced. My P2000SK has over 10,000 rounds through it; no issues, no failures.

I would not recommend the DAK trigger to anyone. The double reset is silly and difficult to train novice shooters to shoot well, and to shoot fast. The LEM is a far superior trigger system. Buy the HK. The DAK is what SIG users are left with since SIG cannot develop a striker-fired or pre-cocked firing system without infringing on their competitors patents. I only carry my SIG when I am on the range, the rest of the time I am either carrying the HK or a 340PD.

varoadking
08-08-11, 17:31
Biggest difference is the shorter reset on the H&K LEM.

Tru dat...

trinydex
08-08-11, 22:59
Dak sux. Longgest trigger ive ever had to pull without something flushing. Dont let the stupid deceptive weight of 6.5 lbs fool you, thats a lie, and the pull is so long that when you get to where the break is its pretty heavy.

kmrtnsn
08-09-11, 07:43
Dak sux. Longgest trigger ive ever had to pull without something flushing. Dont let the stupid deceptive weight of 6.5 lbs fool you, thats a lie, and the pull is so long that when you get to where the break is its pretty heavy.

All that, provided you remember to consistently let your trigger finger out to the SECOND reset.

Kalash
09-02-11, 13:20
Picked up my new HK45c LEM yesterday and ran a quick box of ammo through it to get a feel for the trigger. I love the LEM trigger! Looking forward to wringing it out this weekend.
This is the medium weight version. Could the light version be any better?

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/AKSU_album/46fa8275.jpg

Bulldog7972
09-03-11, 12:22
I currently have a P229DAK .40 as an issue piece. I also carry a P2000SK (LEM) .40 as an alternate. Previous to the SIG I carried a HK USPc LEM, also in .40. I have over 12,000 rounds through the SIG(s), plural as the first one was replaced. My P2000SK has over 10,000 rounds through it; no issues, no failures.

I would not recommend the DAK trigger to anyone. The double reset is silly and difficult to train novice shooters to shoot well, and to shoot fast. The LEM is a far superior trigger system. Buy the HK. The DAK is what SIG users are left with since SIG cannot develop a striker-fired or pre-cocked firing system without infringing on their competitors patents. I only carry my SIG when I am on the range, the rest of the time I am either carrying the HK or a 340PD.

I really don't know why it would be harder to train a novice on the DAK as opposed to other systems. I find it real simple. After you fire you let the trigger return to the first "click". That's it. The reset IMHO isn't that bad or very long. I'm sure I'm not as competent a shooter as most here but the DAK system has worked well for me for the last 15 years or so.

kmrtnsn
09-04-11, 04:04
I really don't know why it would be harder to train a novice on the DAK as opposed to other systems. I find it real simple. After you fire you let the trigger return to the first "click". That's it. The reset IMHO isn't that bad or very long. I'm sure I'm not as competent a shooter as most here but the DAK system has worked well for me for the last 15 years or so.

The DAK trigger system has not been out for 15 years and most shooters tend to prefer the lighter (6.5lbs versus 8.5 lbs for the first) of the two trigger pulls because it tends to be easier to shoot. When the lighter/easier trigger pull is the second or furthest out trigger pull it becomes a difficult trigger to shoot fast if the shooter is trying to use that ligher, more advantageous pull. The shooter tends to do two things, over extending the trigger finger beyond the second reset (letting go) and then jerking the trigger on the take-up. DAK is German for Shit and SIG is the firearms version of your father's Oldsmobile. You can have them both.

Bulldog7972
09-04-11, 12:05
The DAK trigger system has not been out for 15 years and most shooters tend to prefer the lighter (6.5lbs versus 8.5 lbs for the first) of the two trigger pulls because it tends to be easier to shoot. When the lighter/easier trigger pull is the second or furthest out trigger pull it becomes a difficult trigger to shoot fast if the shooter is trying to use that ligher, more advantageous pull. The shooter tends to do two things, over extending the trigger finger beyond the second reset (letting go) and then jerking the trigger on the take-up. DAK is German for Shit and SIG is the firearms version of your father's Oldsmobile. You can have them both.

I don't have an Oldsmobile but if I did I would gladly keep it as well as my Sigs because I'm sure I would be just as happy with an old Olds as I am with my Sigs.

kmrtnsn
09-04-11, 14:47
The point is you can't buy a new Oldsmobile anymore which is the direction SIG is heading. You can have them.

Kalash
09-04-11, 15:22
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/AKSU_album/22f83b43.jpg

kmrtnsn
09-04-11, 15:30
Very nice, Kalash. How are you liking the LEM? I am now back to carrying a USPc LEM as a primary and a P2000SK as a BU/off-duty. I was hoping that the P30 in .40 would have been added to our list but not yet.

Hogsgunwild
09-04-11, 15:58
Picked up my new HK45c LEM yesterday and ran a quick box of ammo through it to get a feel for the trigger. I love the LEM trigger! Looking forward to wringing it out this weekend.
This is the medium weight version. Could the light version be any better?

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/AKSU_album/46fa8275.jpg

Here are a couple of comments regarding the standard medium versus the light LEM (V2 vs V1, on the P2000 anyway) that I found while Googling this very topic (thread is from Glocktalk):

"FWIW, I had the light LEM on my USPc, and have the standard V2 on my P2000SK. I much prefer the feel of the heavier LEM as it doesn't stack as noticeable at the end of the trigger pull.
If I were to convert my USPc back to LEM, I'd make it the standard LEM trigger."

"I agree 100%. The V2 feels perfect to me. Being an old revolver guy, it reminds me of the double action pull of an expertly tuned Colt Python: smooth, light, with just the right amount of stacking just before let-off to feel perfect. I actually like it better than the Python's because of the short trigger reset that the Python can't duplicate."

I like my light LEMs on my P2000 .40 and USP .45 but I may pick up a P2000 9mm and hope to get it in the V2 configuration. I actually think that it may help me to be more consistent with my shooting.
I will not bore you with the details of why it may help me as it's a long story, but, I believe that you only have to change two springs to go from V2 to V1.