PDA

View Full Version : New to the site and weapons. Please provide some help.

piglet
08-08-11, 15:11
Hi, I'm new to your site, sort of. I'm scared of guns. I'm scared of people too. I'm not in greatest physical shape, so I can no longer depend on subduing and scracthing a perps eyes out anymore.

I want to learn about guns and change my ingnorance & fear into respect and knowledge.

Thanks!
K Jones :)

.... :help:

BCmJUnKie
08-08-11, 15:19
Hello. You should start by going to a range and taking a class. Baby steps.

Norinco
08-08-11, 16:49
I would recommend reading the stickys at the top of the forums to familiarize yourself with firearms concepts, using the search button and checking out some of your local gunshops. Have an open mind and take what u hear in gunshops with a grain of salt. Then I would start training.

piglet
08-08-11, 16:50
Thank you, I have an acquaintance who does classes, but he lives too far away. We have a gun range here in my city, though. I've never been inside. Nervous. Thanks for the advice.

PS. I have shot some guns before, but only with some friends and they were more in control of the situation than I was. I can load a six shooter without any assistance, but that's about all.

DireWulf
08-08-11, 18:43
Reading the sticky posts in the various forums will help you a lot. Read the ones in the New To Firearms/Shooting, Handguns and Training and Tactics. The Terminal Ballistics section has good info on various types of guns and ammunition.

You might consider looking for an NRA gun safety or introductory course in your area. They are usually very affordable and will help you get started. After you've done some reading, you can always hop back in this section of the forum and ask questions.

Iraqgunz
08-09-11, 03:46
Piglet,

I have fixed your title so that people may take you more seriously. Your original title smacked of a 10 year old.

People will provide some guidance. You have to do the rest.

sboza
08-30-11, 04:35
piglet - I agree with some of the other posters that you should start slow - if you should start at all. I believe in every law abiding citizen's right to bear arms, but that doesn't mean that I believe every such person is fit to have a gun. You are scared of guns, you are scared of people, you are nervous to go to a range for instruction, and you are out of shape. All of this by your own admission. People who have anxiety issues have no place near firearms and I certainly don't want you on the line next to me.

My suggestion is to set fitness goals first. Plenty of fat asses are great shots but it seems that you have a number of anxiety/nervousness issues that may be allieviated with a higher level of fitness. Perhaps it would be a good idea to see a shrink at this point to talk out some of your issues. Now that you are feeling better physically and hopefully psychologically, figure out what your goals are regarding guns: general knowledge, plinking, self defense, home defense, etc... In your case I would find a basic course which focuses on knowledge over shooting such as a basic NRA class. Or if you have a local range with a somewhat reputable instructor, a one on one class for an hour or two. Take it from there.

And I don't know if it's a lack of maturity, intelligence, thoughtfulness, or a combination of those but if you are going to post a question (I think it was a ?), take your time, form your thoughts, set goals, and ask specific questions aimed at helping you reach those goals. Just a suggestion, don't want to step on the mods toes. I know I would be more willing to help under those circumstances.

Also, If you don't mind me asking, are you a man or a woman? I ask because if your anxiety issues stem from a sexual assault or even if you are a victim of violent crime (man or woman), that is a different story. I am all for you persuing firearms education in conjunction with psychological counsling. Any instructor worth his salt will have extreme patience for someone under those circumstances.

I hope I didn't come across as mean, I wish you the best.

warpigM-4
08-30-11, 19:07
hello and welcome to M4C:)

Sboza Makes some really good points,You need to get yourself in the right frame of Mind before You Jump into Owning a Firearm.

I started Off with a BBgun and then a 22 Rifle .This is what I am doing with My Daughter, she Now is shooting the 22 Rifle and doing well .
The First thing is SAFETY !!!!
This is Not a DVD Player Read the Owners manual if you Buy a Firearm.

Try and go to the range and Just Talk to shooters at the Range and the employees . Look at a Firearm ,handle a Firearm. But wait till you feel Comfortable To shoot it and Only do it with someone who can be helpful in your Journey Into Firearms .

You have taken a Step(Outstanding !!) in Saying you want to Change .So listen to what People Here Have to say and Please don't feel they are attacking you .They are trying to teach you.

Good Luck and Most of all Be safe ! and Have fun.

P.S. If a Friend Hands you a shot gun or a rifle and Giggles and says "shoot this it Don't Kick" Don't Do it :jester:
I have Known a Few(Idiots) Do that teaching their Boys How to shoot ,Only to have their Son or Daughter On the Ground and Even More Scared of Firearms.

Jfkudla
08-30-11, 21:59
Welcome! If there is one thing I've learned about this forum, it is that if you've got a question..the answer lies somewhere on the board (whether already in a post, or the mind of a member).

War Pig gives great advice. I think you have a good, solid desire (wanting knowledge and respect) that the average "new shooter" doesn't quite grasp. To most tacticool (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tacticool) people on internet gun forums, shooting is all about "bustin' a cap in some zombies" it seems to me.

-Justin

Ash Hess
08-31-11, 05:39
Piglet, its not for everyone, but I think The Appleseed Project would be perfect for you. Most time with prior coordination they can even lend you a rifle. The pace and material will be more suited for you and they are probably having one near you.

SSGGunBunny
09-02-11, 07:26
What are you considering a firearm for? Concealed Carry? Home defense? If handling firearms and ranges frighten you but you feel the need for home defense or personal safety, there are other options like tasers, pepper sprays and properly trained dogs.

If you are determined to buy a firearm, something like a shotgun may be more your speed for home defense. Though you would want to be familiar with it, its operation and function. It is not a weapon that you will have to spend a lot of time firing to become proficient enough to defend yourself with it at home.

A shotgun has several advantages, it's typically much less expensive than a rifle or pistol, ammunition is less expensive, with any kind of shot (buckshot) it will spread when it leaves the barrel with multiple projectiles rather than 1 from a pistol or rifle. That spread can compensate for a beginners lack of accuracy. Also, the sound of a pump action shotgun when you chamber a round is unmistakeable, very intimidating and will cause many intruders to flee immediately. When fired inside a home it is deafening and even if you miss the sound of that shot will make most intruders wet themselves and run.

In home defense, one very effective tactic made for a shotgun is to keep it close, hopefully you have an alarm system or early warning, lock yourself in a bedroom or other room with only one entrance and a distance of at least a few feet between you and the door, call 911 - put the phone on SPEAKER and place it next to you and then point the shotgun at the entrance. If the door is forced open, well you are already aiming right at them as they enter. Don't go out to investigate or look for them to force them to leave, stay inside your room and wait for them.

Some people announce loudly they are armed to whoever is in the house, I'm not a fan of that because I don't know if they are and I want them surprised, not me, you can be sure they will NOT tell you that they are armed...at least not until they have control. There are considerations, you need to know that it is not someone who is supposed to be in the home - family members, roommates or the police (they should announce themselves) etc. That's why I say hold your shot until the door is breached, that way you have positive visual identification of the threat before you fire. Don't try to talk them out, don't threaten them, do not allow them to advance on you - don't hesitate. If they are armed, your hesitation will give them time to fire on you first and that decreases your chances of survival drastically. Once you see them, fire and reload immediately.