PDA

View Full Version : Buffer changes

Brennan
08-08-11, 17:52
I've been reading through old threads for about 3 hours now and haven't gotten an exact answer, so I figured I might as well post a thread before I go ordering parts. I have an M&P15 with a standard carbine buffer. I've been changing out a few things here and there and probably going to jump to an H buffer. I also have a full auto bcg if this matters in the equation.

Here lies my questions:
-Would it even benefit any to jump to an H2 buffer versus an H buffer? (Other guys run them in a similar setup to mine)
-Also, while I'm in there, is there any reason to change the spring? (People have recommended a Blue Sprinco Spring)

I'd greatly appreciate any positive input, or if anyone can point me in the correct direction. Thanks in advance.

bananaman
08-08-11, 18:17
Any second now, some senior member is going to jump in and say "Why do you want to change it if it works now" or "Use the orange search button". Just warning you....

Anyway, I have an M&P 15, 2,000 rounds without a hiccup. Run a extra power buffer spring and ST-T2 (H2) buffer since nearly day one - works perfectly.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=80447&page=4

Start at #63

Brennan
08-08-11, 18:22
Any second now, some senior member is going to jump in and say "Why do you want to change it if it works now" or "Use the orange search button". Just warning you....

Anyway, I have an M&P 15, 2,000 rounds without a hiccup. Run a extra power buffer spring and ST-T2 (H2) buffer since nearly day one - works perfectly.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=80447&page=4

Start at #63

Oh, I know someone is going to chime in. I'm honestly a little burnt out of digging through threads for 3 hours. PM being sent your way.

I suppose shut this thread down.

ThirdWatcher
08-08-11, 20:42
I asked Grant this question a couple years ago and he recommended an H2 Buffer and a Chrome Silicon Buffer Spring for my M&P-15A and it settled right down. ;)

thehun
08-08-11, 20:52
Heavy buffer and a good spring is always a GREAT option for a carbine system...especially SW MP15's...they are mostly overgassed.

H2/H3 buffer is the ticket item :)

bp7178
08-08-11, 21:20
What gas system does the rifle have now?

nimdabew
08-08-11, 23:49
Buy a H3 buffer and mix and match the different weights to make CAR, H, H2 and H3 weight combinations. It will save you some extra cash. Find the one heaviest weight that your rifle with run at without short stroking and lower the weight by one weight. Do this unsupressed if you have a suppressor.

http://operatorchan.org/k/arch/src/k226438_buffer-construction.jpg

Iraqgunz
08-09-11, 01:25
The reason we RECOMMEND reading through the threads isn't so we can save ourselves from typing a response. Here's why;

1. Knowledge is power. By reading through the threads you will have a better understanding of the buffers and you can see some of the pros and cons of switching it out.

2. By using the search button we don't continuously clogged up the boards with redundant questions thereby making use of the search even more difficult because you have to sort through all the various threads.

rob_s
08-09-11, 04:00
I asked Grant this question a couple years ago and he recommended an H2 Buffer and a Chrome Silicon Buffer Spring for my M&P-15A and it settled right down. ;)

I've heard this term, "settled right down", several times now and since you were the last to use it I wonder if you could help explain what that means?

To the OP, how many rounds on the gun right now?

Brennan
08-09-11, 06:11
I've heard this term, "settled right down", several times now and since you were the last to use it I wonder if you could help explain what that means?

To the OP, how many rounds on the gun right now?

1,100 rounds right now, switched to a Vltor gas block and full auto bcg. I just ordered an H buffer to swap out my standard carbine one. I believe before I changed gas blocks, it was launching my shell casings at the 1:00-2:00 position. It's settled down a little bit since.

Brennan
08-09-11, 16:29
I suppose I'm going to start with the H buffer I purchased and go from there. From what some guys have been saying, they run the heaviest buffer possible that will still cycle the rifle properly. I feel like there has to be more of a science to this between spring hardness, buffer weight, degree of ejection, bolt slap/bounce, etc. Does this even sound right?

C4IGrant
08-09-11, 16:34
I've been reading through old threads for about 3 hours now and haven't gotten an exact answer, so I figured I might as well post a thread before I go ordering parts. I have an M&P15 with a standard carbine buffer. I've been changing out a few things here and there and probably going to jump to an H buffer. I also have a full auto bcg if this matters in the equation.

Here lies my questions:
-Would it even benefit any to jump to an H2 buffer versus an H buffer? (Other guys run them in a similar setup to mine)
-Also, while I'm in there, is there any reason to change the spring? (People have recommended a Blue Sprinco Spring)

I'd greatly appreciate any positive input, or if anyone can point me in the correct direction. Thanks in advance.

H2 buffer and blue springco spring would be my choice.

C4

Brennan
08-09-11, 16:45
H2 buffer and blue springco spring would be my choice.

C4

Just ordered both. So I have an H buffer, H2 buffer, and Blue Springco Spring on the way. I guess I have some range time ahead of me.

ThirdWatcher
08-10-11, 16:04

I just meant that there seemed to be a little less muzzle rise (not that there's much in a 5.56mm rifle anyway) with the H2 buffer over the stock buffer.

bowfisher
08-10-11, 17:09
I'm runnin the h-3 in my M&P carbine.