PDA

View Full Version : 416 Short Dot/Mount Question

HKPRO
10-31-07, 19:01
Hey gang, in the realm of truly silly over the top excess, I am slapping a Short Dot on my 416 upper. (Got a SCREAMIN deal on it.)

I have a quick q before I order my Larue mount.

I have the Magpul CTS with cheekpiece, which gives me a great weld with the Eotech on a Larue QD.

When I put the Short Dot on it, with that stock, should I get the 1.5 or 1.95 mount?

I fear the 1.5 and a Short Dot will be a bit too low.

??

Thanks for all your uber answers from the ultimate HK koolaid drinker.

:)

Pinnacle
10-31-07, 19:44
I haven't made that purchase myself, yet. I am using a Leupold MK4 1.5x5 with illuminated reticle in a Larue SPR mount and it is as perfect as it gets. The 1.93 mount would be less than perfect for me.

I believe most S&B owners would steer you toward the 1.5. Try searching for posts by USMC03. He has posted a lot of valuable information on his S&B set-ups on this forum and others. I think he uses either a Larue 1.5 or an SPR EE for his.

Another person of interst would be VA Dinger. Same story as USMC03.

One of those folks may be along in a second to confirm all of this in person.;)

SHIVAN
10-31-07, 19:53
On USMC03's recommendation, I use an SPR-E.

It sets the optic out at the perfect distance for my preferred cheekweld.

cohiba
10-31-07, 20:02
As the 416 is about 3/8 of an inch taller rail wise than a standard carbine, I first used the 1.5 with the scope as far forward in the rings as possible Worked fine for me until I tried the E. Definately the way to fly.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/HK41609.jpg

VA_Dinger
10-31-07, 20:27
If you run with your stock all the way in (nose to charging handle) get the SPR-E. It was designed for guys like you. I’ve been taught to run with my buttstock farther out so the standard LT-104 works best for me.

Unless you need to look over an AN/PEQ2 or some other 12 o’clock mounted laser the 1.5" is perfect.

Erick Gelhaus
10-31-07, 20:43
Unless you need to look over an AN/PEQ2 or some other 12 o’clock mounted laser the 1.5" is perfect.

And that's key - the SPR 1.93 will clear anything common on the 12o'clock rail.
Also, I've got the CTR on two different lowers. No issues on either re: the stock & mount interface. One has an Aimpoint CompM3 and the other a S+B.

2011BLDR
10-31-07, 22:05
The 1.5” (SPR, SPR-E) LT mounts are the perfect height when combined with a raised receiver (HK) or a rail system that acts a riser ( POF, Vltor). They give the same over bore height as a LT 1.93” doses on a STD flat top. If you need to clear a PEQ-2 or ATPIAL then you need a 1.93”

mfingar
10-31-07, 23:29
As said before, the SPR-E (LT-139) is your best bet. If you were running a PEQ-2A in front of your scope, I might recommend the 1.93" (gives you that extra bit of height, to see over the claptrap).

Mark Fingar
LaRue Tactical