PDA

View Full Version : Who here carries handcuffs?

Irish
08-08-11, 20:02
I'm not looking to handcuff anyone but this guy did (http://www.kirotv.com/news/28792794/detail.html).

Abraxas
08-08-11, 21:44
I'm not looking to handcuff anyone but this guy did (http://www.kirotv.com/news/28792794/detail.html).

Only for work.

NinjaMedic
08-08-11, 22:29
I dont EDC on my person, but I do carry 2 pairs of cuffs in my truck and I carry flex cuffs when I am at work.

SteyrAUG
08-08-11, 22:48
Only for work.

Only for play.

:D

zacbol
08-09-11, 00:12
I do, but not for any good reason.

I got a pair of S&W handcuffs for 'free' when I took an escape and evasion class from OnPoint Tactical (The main lesson was how to get out of them). I never could decide where to stash them in my house and they fit easily enough into my EDC bag (Maxpedition Type-S Versipack), so I just ended up carrying them everywhere with me. I'd be reticent to use them for anything given how easily I can get out of them myself after just a little training.

Honu
08-09-11, 01:25
I dont :) but my dad when he used to fly carried two zip cuffs in the brim of his hat :)
he was a commercial United pilot
as he said if a passenger was out of control at least they could keep him subdued till they got on the ground

Moose-Knuckle
08-09-11, 04:23
I always have, hand cuffs, anckle restraints, belly chains, spit hoods, and a Conex container worth of flex cuffs. But Irish, you know how I earn my living. :ph34r:

Army Chief
08-09-11, 04:25
I think it makes sense to have flexcuffs available in one way or another (i.e. out in the car), though I don't carry restraints as a matter of routine.

There is something about the prospect of intervention leading to a compliant attacker which has the potential to create an entirely new (and even more dangerous) scenario if you're at all inclined to detain the evildoer in some fashion until the arrival of the authorities.

Restraints have the potential to remove some of that danger, if employed correctly. Without them, the whole concept of holding someone at gunpoint seems to me to be a highly problematic, legally dubious and incredibly dangerous undertaking; especially if your fellow citizens are unable or unwilling to assist you.

AC

Magic_Salad0892
08-09-11, 04:54
Only for play.

:D

****er. I hella wanted to post that. :p

bp7178
08-09-11, 07:48
If a resisting is going to touch off, it's probably when they are going to be handcuffed. By probably, I mean like 90%...

Without backup, or a quick way of getting some, handcuffing is probably when the fight will begin...and this is very dangerous.

This is an issue because most CCW style holster don't have any type of retention device for a shit, you're not wearing body armor, and generally don't have any intermediate use of force options.

I learned my lesson once the hard way. Won the fight, but the lesson is that if it isn't a deadly force situation, or when immediate action isn't needed to save someone's life, be a good witness.

rjacobs
08-09-11, 11:08
I dont :) but my dad when he used to fly carried two zip cuffs in the brim of his hat :)
he was a commercial United pilot
as he said if a passenger was out of control at least they could keep him subdued till they got on the ground

That is, so far, the best use of the shitty hat that I have ever heard. I dont personally wear one as do most guys anymore, but if I did, I know what I would be keeping in it from now on.

ST911
08-09-11, 14:22
As any DT instructor will tell you, high on the list of most dangerous moments in the arrest/detention process is the moment of first physical contact.

The concept of handcuffing is simple. The execution is perilous.

Now, add additional contact time messing with the various zip-cuffs, paracord or shoelace cuffs, and like alternatives...

skyugo
08-09-11, 22:57
i keep a gimp suit in the trunk, but not really for defensive reasons....

Honu
08-10-11, 01:09
That is, so far, the best use of the shitty hat that I have ever heard. I dont personally wear one as do most guys anymore, but if I did, I know what I would be keeping in it from now on.

yeah he retired over 20 years ago or more :) not sure what the regs are these days for pilots but he was also in the camp of every pilot should be armed and if someone said that's dangerous he would say well what a idiot I am flying the plane with everybodies lives in my hand !

my cuz flies for Dubai these days ! not sure he likes it to much

Magic_Salad0892
08-10-11, 03:52
i keep a gimp suit in the trunk, but not really for defensive reasons....

I'm gonna wear one at my wedding.