PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a BALCS Armor carrier.

variablebinary
08-09-11, 01:07
I'm looking for a BALCS Armor carrier, and seeking well informed recommendations to guide me home.

Requirements:

-Must be BALCS compatible
-Lighter than a CIRAS or Paraclete RAV
-Side plate pockets
-Not awful when shouldering weapon
-USA made
-Available in coyote
-Full MOLLE (No slicks)
-Take or leave the quick releasable option.

As of right now I am mostly torn between the Mayflower LOW-PROFILE ASSAULT ARMOR CARRIER

http://www.mayflower-rc.org/store/images/product/3260a0b529e1b388e65747f1065893f8.jpg

And the BAE RBAV-AF

http://www.skdtac.com/v/vspfiles/photos/3SK.131-2.jpg

Pax
08-09-11, 02:30
Happy with my RBAV-AF. I'd change a few minor things here and there, but overall satisfied. Havent put it through any harsh use yet, though. Extremely light for such a complex carrier. The weight of the 500D fabric really shows. The weight issue is often negated, I find, as I end up strapping over 9000 pouches to it that weigh over 9000 lbs, but it is a lighter base...

JR TACTICAL
08-09-11, 03:19
I will be following this, I am looking for the same exact thing as you described, my only problem is size, I am 6'6'' so I think I am going to need at least an XL size at least.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a + size carrier???

EzGoingKev
08-09-11, 17:44
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think one advantage the Mayflower has over the RBAV-AF is the way they set up the kangaroo pouches.

The Mayflowers is part of the vest while the RBAV's is part of the flap.

Happy with my RBAV-AF. I'd change a few minor things here and there, but overall satisfied. Havent put it through any harsh use yet, though. Extremely light for such a complex carrier. The weight of the 500D fabric really shows. The weight issue is often negated, I find, as I end up strapping over 9000 pouches to it that weigh over 9000 lbs, but it is a lighter base...
Regarding the 500D vs 1000D it is not just the weight. The 500d is more flexible compared to the 1000D which makes it more comfortable.

piggly_wiggly
08-09-11, 23:36
FYI- The Mayflower you have listed is a great carrier, but it isn't BALCS cut. Does it have to be BALCS compatible because you currently own BALCS inserts or for any other reason?

variablebinary
08-10-11, 00:16
FYI- The Mayflower you have listed is a great carrier, but it isn't BALCS cut. Does it have to be BALCS compatible because you currently own BALCS inserts or for any other reason?

And I chose the wrong pic. Grey Group has a BALCS cut model which is what I was thinking

http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/-strse-3481/BALCS-ASSAULT-CARRIER/Detail.bok#

http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/catalog/3481.jpg

Though, right now I am leaning toward the RBAV-AF, but I'm open to recommendations. It has to be BALCS because that is what I own and that is also what my unit has and I prefer the uniformity. If a plate carrier was an option, I probably would have gotten the LBT 6094.

Violator
08-11-11, 12:15
Fwiw I too am looking at a new armor carrier for an upcoming deployment. I've been eyeing the RBAV and think that'll be the carrier I chose,. I really like the fact that its 500D. That'll keep the overall weight down which is an obvious plus to me.

Failure2Stop
08-11-11, 12:31
I had the original RBAV and really liked it.
If the RBAV-AF is a product improvement I would have to be cut one hell of a deal to go with something else.

ETA- The QR pillow was annoying in the top position, so I moved it, but it made it quite a bit less "quick" in the release department.

Vorpal_weapon
08-11-11, 13:35
I bought a BAE RBAV-AF this spring after looking at all the BALCS molle carrier options I could find. Haven’t been running it much yet, but there’s a lot to like in terms of weight, flexibility and features (e.g., the integral hydration pocket, easy access side-plate/magazine pockets). There are a couple of things I don’t like about it however.

1) Its slower/more difficult to get into than an Eagle Mar-CIRAS (or the RBR scout I'm still using). That shouldn’t be a significant issue for most military users, but for my purposes (LE special operations) it is not a small consideration where direct response call-out happens with some frequency.

2) The thing I REALLY dislike is the sag of the side wings of the front panel, particularly when the pockets are loaded with side-plates. Other vests I’ve used have a velcro fastener to stabilize that joint where the sides of the front panel overlap the sides of the back panel. The outer cummerbund cannot be tightened enough (at least in my experience) to prevent the side-plate pocket area from sagging. I plan to implement my own velcro fix for that problem at some point. In the meantime, I’m mostly continuing to run my older vest.

Pax
08-11-11, 14:17
I plan to implement my own velcro fix for that problem at some point. In the meantime, I’m mostly continuing to run my older vest.

I considered this when I first got the vest, but I determined that easier solutions ought to be experimented with first. My only camera is currently down, so forgive the possibly confusing description. I'm going to try burning a hole through the rear mag pocket of each side wing with a soldering iron and reinforcing it with a rivet and/or possibly Type 69 stitching around the hole. Then just 550 loops through the holes and around the top MOLLE rung on the cummerbunds. This will be a lot easier than trying to stitch hook and loop panels through the mag shingles and through the cummerbund without stitching the MOLLE. It will also be removable if it doesn't work out for some reason, if the 500D mag shingle starts to rip at the hole or something else unforeseen. And it leaves the MOLLE on the cummerbund perfectly usable.

Also, I've only run mine with loaded PMAGs thus far, but I havent noticed any sagging issues. My cummmerbund is tight as shit, perhaps the vest you have just isn't small enough? I doubt it... It's adjustable as hell but you know.. Just a thought.

Wiggity
08-11-11, 14:26
And I chose the wrong pic. Grey Group has a BALCS cut model which is what I was thinking

http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/-strse-3481/BALCS-ASSAULT-CARRIER/Detail.bok#

http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/catalog/3481.jpg

Though, right now I am leaning toward the RBAV-AF, but I'm open to recommendations. It has to be BALCS because that is what I own and that is also what my unit has and I prefer the uniformity. If a plate carrier was an option, I probably would have gotten the LBT 6094.

I believe this would be the best option.

deuce9166
08-11-11, 14:26
I really like the BAE I have. I can only compare it to the Eagle LE carrier though.