PDA

View Full Version : Mil-spec stock questions

Knox8282
08-09-11, 09:13
Hi all,

I have a commercial tactical stock on my AR now, but it wiggles just a bit. Not a big deal and I don't notice it while shooting, but it just bugs me! My question is, do I need to replace the entire buffer tube for mil-spec, or just add a mil-spec stock? I'm pretty sure I have to change out the buffer tube. How difficult is this to do without messing up anything? Is it a do it yourself job, or should I go to a pro....Thinking I can do it, I just wanted a little feedback. Thanks

jonconsiglio
08-09-11, 11:16
Very simple to do, just Goolgle it or search YouTube.

Do you have a milspec or commercial tube? Did it come win the stock or did you add it? Take the stock off and look at the rear of the receiver extension (buffer tube). Is it angled or completely flat?

Paladin_139
08-09-11, 12:41
You probably have a mismatched stock and tube unless the stock itself just really poor quality. What kind of stock do you have? Mil spec buffer tubes have a straight squared looking end and commercial tubes are slightly angled. Obviously they have different dimensions but that is the easiest way to tell. The buffer tube is easy to replace but you'll need a special wrench to loosen the castle nut and it can be a pain if it is staked well or loktited. Use the search function on this site there is a lot of information about this.

TexasM4
08-09-11, 18:40
Hello from a new member. Just got a new unfired Colt match target
m4 and want to replace the fixed stock with a Magpul CTR or other. What is involved and what, if any addtional parts do I need? Thanks.

donwalk
08-09-11, 19:31
i purchased a 'kit' from DPMS to change my 'tactical' stock to the fixed A2 stock; it contains all you'll need.

the extended receiver tube you now have is, more than likely, a carbine length spring...if you switch to a fixed A2 stock you'll need a regular length spring (It, the DPMS kit, came with the correct spring, buffer and associated hardware.)

I've had "Mixed emotions" about switching to the fixed A2 stock as it makes the carbine easier to transport by collapsing the stock...but. OTOH... the fixed A2 stock gives steadiness in aiming.

it's six to one, half-a-dozen to another...:(