PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing an LMT Defender 16 for HD... what to add?

Devildawg2531
08-09-11, 09:58
Which Aimpoint and light is best for the HD role?

ARPATRIOT
08-09-11, 10:03
TLR-1s,VCAS sling and an XPS :dance3:

Devildawg2531
08-09-11, 10:19
I have always kept a 12 G Pump with 00 Buck of some vintage (870, 590 and Benelli SuperNova) for Home Defense. After reading tons of posts I have convinced myself that I have a need :happy: for my 1st AR carbine for HD. Spent 7 years in the USMC so am familiar with the AR use. Have shot the LMT and really like the quality. I'm leaning towards adding an Aimpoint, Sure Fire Light and maybe the Vickers VCAS sling; potentially adding a can down the road.

My question is for a dedicated HD AR what would be the essential accessories; without loading it down with a bunch of extra weight? Brand and model recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

sdcromer
08-09-11, 10:27
Sounds like you have everything in mind that you would need. Here is the order I would choose:

1. Sling
2. Light
3. Aimpoint

Dionysusigma
08-09-11, 10:59
Can't think of anything I would add aside from a few good magazines - MagPul PMags, Lancer L5s, etc. Maybe some higher-grain-weight ammo, like 77gr, but what you've listed is pretty much ideal.

fdxpilot
08-09-11, 11:00
Sounds like you have everything in mind that you would need. Here is the order I would choose:

1. Sling
2. Light
3. Aimpoint

Good list. I'm also a fan of the VCAS sling. As for Red-Dots, they are more of a luxury than a necessity, but I'm personally an EOTech fan. I have 2 XPS EOTechs.

sammage
08-09-11, 11:19

Any of the Aimpoints will work great. The PRO is a great value, whereas the micros (T-1 or H-1) are a viable choice as well.

Devildawg2531
08-09-11, 21:11
Which tactical light is best for a carbine? I've got the SureFire X300 LED on a Glock 24 and really like it so am somewhat partial to the SureFire brand. What attachment is used to mount a light to the rail?

Doc Blase
08-11-11, 23:05
I'm really pleased with my PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic).

Though the battery lifespan is about 3 years instead of 5 or 8, for $400 mounted, you will be able to afford an extra $5 battery to fill in those odd years.

Plus you get a great set of lens covers with the rear one being clear.

I haven't dealt with the light issue yet, if ever. My personal HD weapon is a Glock 21 .45 with Sig Sauer STL 900 light/strobe and laser.

I think if I were going to mount a light on my rifle I'd like a squeeze-momentary-on switch so you can easily move in the dark. :happy:

offshorebear
08-11-11, 23:08
Curious, why do you need a sling for home defense?

sgtjosh
08-12-11, 01:04
A Streamlight TLR-1, Vickers quick Adjust sling, and Aimpoint PRO are my personal choices.

ra2bach
08-12-11, 10:16

1. Sling
2. Light
3. Aimpoint

I think a sling is overrated. I don't use one for my HD gun.

first I would have a light. then I would add a RDS (Aimpoint, eo....)

but if you're serious about home defense, imagine what scenarios under which you'd be deploying your rifle.

where do you keep it, how do you get to it, when do you use it (legal justification, liability of rounds that travel outside your home...), other weapons?

defensive position(s)? do I move or let them come to me, sight lines, fatal funnels, interior and/or exterior lighting? etc., etc....

now, while you have the time, take yourself on a tour of your home and do a tactical assessment to include the areas outside. develop an action plan, do what-if's... (what if I was in the basement and I heard the door break in, what if I was watching TV and I heard a car door slam and saw 3 guys with guns moving toward my house, what if I was mowing the lawn and I saw some guys break and go in the back door...

how do you handle/protect the other people in your house, do they know "the PLAN", where do they go, phone or cell access?

lotta stuff...

kartoffel
08-12-11, 16:35
Agreed that a sling is probably not all that important for home defense.

Just for the sake of stirring things up, here's my list of priorities for a HD carbine:
1. White light.
2. Ammo.
3. Training.
4. Critical spares.