PDA

View Full Version : some mods to my bushy m4a3

bm_gunner78
08-09-11, 09:52
I am new to the m4 fam, and im in a lil need of some help i bought a bushmaster m4a3 and i would like some feedback on what others think. I am wanting to put a 1:7 twist barrel, h2 buffer, and new trigger assembly that is smoother than the stock one. But like i said i am new to doing these kind of mods to a weapon. If anyone could help i would appreciate it very much.

SpaceWrangler
08-09-11, 09:58
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

You're talking about spending some pretty serious coin to get your carbean up to snuff.

Why not just trade it in on a Colt 6920 and have a quality weapon from the outset?

Located in Athens, GA... http://clydearmory.com/colt-le6920.html

bm_gunner78
08-09-11, 10:03
what kinda coin are we talking about here? If you know.

TomMcC
08-09-11, 11:03
If you're going to go through the trouble of changing out a major component like the barrel, you might want to just sell it, and buy something else.

If you think it's over-gassed then a heavier buffer might be in order, maybe an H1 to start. My BM was so over-gassed that I put a 9mm buffer in it and it still works with Wolf .223.

If the gun works ok, you might want to consider an optic.

I

bm_gunner78
08-09-11, 11:06
what do you mean by over gassed?
im sorry like i said im new to this

SpaceWrangler
08-09-11, 11:13
what kinda coin are we talking about here? If you know.

Barrel, $229 before shipping: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-M4-Barrel-Stripped-p/bcm-brl-s-m4%2016%20std.htm

A couple hundred for a good trigger: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Lower-Parts-s/5.htm

An H2 Buffer is $25 or so.

So... you have roughly a grand in your factory-condition BM M4A3, with a good $500 worth of parts you want to upgrade it with, to make it on par with a upper-end weapon.

Or you could spend $1100 and get an upper-end weapon.

fdxpilot
08-09-11, 11:13
what do you mean by over gassed?
im sorry like i said im new to this

He assumed since you want to add an H2 buffer, that you were having a problem with overgassing (typical of Bushies, and usually caused by a excessively large gas port.) Does your rifle have a problem, or are you just wanting an H2 because others have added one?

bm_gunner78
08-09-11, 11:16
He assumed since you want to add an H2 buffer, that you were having a problem with overgassing (typical of Bushies.) Does your rifle have a problem, or are you just wanting an H2 because others have added one?

i have been haveing trouble with the rounds coming back straight at me and a friend said if i put an h2 in it it may help it out

BCmJUnKie
08-09-11, 11:20
Save your money towards some ammo and magazines and skip the trigger. A waste of money unless youre shooting from bench or competition.

Honestly if I were you I would get this

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Standard-16-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-car-16lw.htm

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/spider-bullet-lower-w-standard-kit-m4-stock-p-589.html

Thats 700 right there, sell your rifle and get a good set up with handguards and a folding sight.

TomMcC
08-09-11, 11:24
Yeah, I think I was assuming a bit too much. When someone starts talking about BM's and buffers, I start thinking .......overgassed.

When you say the brass is coming straight back at you, do you mean it's hitting you in the face, or does it mean something else?

bm_gunner78
08-09-11, 11:29
so the general answer im gettin is get rid of the bushy if i want a quality weapon. What is a good Weapon. because to be honest i bought the bushmaster solely on the name lol

bm_gunner78
08-09-11, 11:33
Yeah, I think I was assuming a bit too much. When someone starts talking about BM's and buffers, I start thinking .......overgassed.

When you say the brass is coming straight back at you, do you mean it's hitting you in the face, or does it mean something else?

yes it hits me in the face pretty often. Im in the army and relize that that isnt a real good thing lol

BCmJUnKie
08-09-11, 11:44
With the list I provided you get to choose your handguards, thats a plus. On top of that, you get the complete upper on top of the HP/MP barrel.

I run a spikes lower on my M4, I threw away the buffer and put a "H" in it.

B Cart
08-09-11, 11:52
Nowadays you can get a Colt 6920 for around $1,000, and you will have a completely quality gun. You can also get a nice BCM and a few others in the same price range that will get you a MUCH more reliable and quality weapon. In today’s market, there are plenty of people who still think Bushmaster is awesome and so you can probably sell yours and still get some good money out of it.

In my opinion, you should save the $500 you would spend in upgrades, sell your Bushmaster, and buy a Colt or BCM. You will have a reliable and high quality Mil-Spec rifle with a 1:7 twist, that will serve you much better over the years. I wish I had done the same thing earlier on with my RRA. I hope that helps!

justin_247
08-09-11, 11:55
Are you going to shooting ammo that would require a 1/7 twist barrel? For 55 or 62 gr ammo, the 1/9 will serve you just fine. Swap out the barrel after you shoot it out or as you develop the desire to shoot heavier ammo.

At a minimum, I would put an H-buffer in it first before jumping to an H2. This is especially the case if you're shooting weak ammo, as you could very well begin inducing malfunctions.

The stock trigger will serve you just fine, as well. I would become proficient with it first since that's what you're using in the Army. If you want a better quality trigger group, get a parts kit from G&R Tactical and call it good - they're as top notch as they come.

More importantly, make sure your carrier key is well staked. Better yet, swap out the entire carrier for a full auto one with an MPI bolt from BCM, LMT, Colt, or DD. This will do much to enhance the reliability of your weapon.

Finally, you may want to swap out your commercial receiver extension for a mil-spec one from BCM, Stag, G&R Tactical, etc. It's a stronger tube and will give you more stock options to choose from. But this is far less important than making sure your carrier key is well staked, getting a decent bolt carrier, or installing a heavier buffer.

justin_247
08-09-11, 11:59
Read this before doing anything else!

GO SHOOT THE GUN!
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28658

ryan
08-09-11, 12:01
After you "GO SHOOT THE GUN" read this, https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13532

justin_247
08-09-11, 12:05
Oh yes, I almost forgot - stake your castle nut!!! VERY IMPORTANT!

ryan
08-09-11, 12:07

The first picture in that thread is that of an unstaked BM castle nut.

bm_gunner78
08-09-11, 12:08
thank you all for your help also i have one more question i want some optics and really like the holo sights what would be a good one to consider?

BCmJUnKie
08-09-11, 12:17
Thats personal preference, You should go to your local shop and check some out, I prefer Aimpoint. Some like Eotech.

Those are the only 2 if you ask me.

GeorgiaBoy
08-09-11, 12:18
thank you all for your help also i have one more question i want some optics and really like the holo sights what would be a good one to consider?

Eotech. Look into the XPS series.

bm_gunner78
08-09-11, 12:21
ok i see that is a great idea never thought of it that way i guess i am just wanting to blow money lol but you guys have been very helpfull and i plan on staying on this forum for years to come and learning. thank you very much all of you

B Cart
08-09-11, 12:22
I agree that it is personal preference. Don't skimp though and get some cheap crappy optic. You get what you pay for and an Aimpoint or Eotech will serve you much better than a cheap $99 pos in the long run. Personally I like the Eotech reticle and field of view much better, but Aimpoints are awesome too and they have incredible battery life and durability.

GeorgiaBoy
08-09-11, 12:28

SpaceWrangler
08-09-11, 12:34
so the general answer im gettin is get rid of the bushy if i want a quality weapon. What is a good Weapon. because to be honest i bought the bushmaster solely on the name lol

The New Chart, compiled by our own Rob S...

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AqmgMm61Ok7WdExwaG16OENzOEZ1akp2a3Y2NjMxTEE&single=true&gid=2&output=html

GrandPooba
08-09-11, 13:50
what is Stag's "plus package"?

Anyways, with a bushmaster, your first mods should be reliability centered.

-stake castle nut
-restake gas keys
-install mil-spec extractor spring (or better yet buy a complete BCM bolt)
-install H-buffer

I did this with my own Bushmaster, and I would recommend it to anybody else with Bushy/Stag/RRA stuff too.

SpaceWrangler
08-09-11, 13:55
what is Stag's "plus package"?

Essentially the upgrades you described above. You pay a hundred some-odd dollars extra for them to build it the way it ought to be. :rolleyes:

Iraqgunz
08-09-11, 14:11
I say that you sell the upper receiver assembly to someone who will buy it, and replace the lower receiver extension with a milspec tube.

Replace the upper with a good one from BCM or DD and then get the appropriate buffer.

I'm not going to tell you to just shoot it because Bushmaster is crap and will always be crap. I am also not a fan of "it's just a plinker'.

Eric D.
08-09-11, 14:53
I second the idea of looking at some quality optics first hand. Or at least order from someone with a good return policy (skd tactical). My nearsightedness gave me issues with the EOtech. Any problems with your eyesight may affect how the reticule looks to you.

TomMcC
08-09-11, 15:57
I'm still trying to figure out how an AR can put brass into your face. I'm left handed, and have never had that happen with the multitude of AR's I've shot. Never seen it happen either.....very weird.

I would at minimum do what GrandPooba recommended, and then move to replace it with a quality piece. I did keep my BM after the upgrades, but did buy a BCM.

smokenssz
08-09-11, 16:33
If your happy with your rifle then shoot the hell out of it. Not everyone needs a Ferrari (Colt, LMT, BCM, etc..) If you wanna upgrade stuff then buy a bolt (70$) and a H buffer. There's no reason to change the barrel until you wear it out. Thats my opinion. If you wanna top tier rifle then build one (BCM, Spikes) next time your ready for another AR.

SpaceWrangler
08-09-11, 16:54
There's no reason to change the barrel until you wear it out.

Unless you want to shoot heavier bullets, which stabilize best coming out of a 1/7 barrel. Also, Bushmasters frequently have .223 chambers (even though the barrels are marked 5.56 NATO), which results in unreliable extraction when using 5.56 NATO ammo.

smokenssz
08-09-11, 17:24
Unless you want to shoot heavier bullets, which stabilize best coming out of a 1/7 barrel. Also, Bushmasters frequently have .223 chambers (even though the barrels are marked 5.56 NATO), which results in unreliable extraction when using 5.56 NATO ammo.

What and throw it away? :rolleyes: that's why I said build one to what you are shooting. If he is only shooting 55g plinking ammo then the 1/9 will do fine. If you wanna replace the barrel on a brand new rifle please send it to me instead of throwing it in the trash.

SpaceWrangler
08-09-11, 17:26
Okay.

Spiffums
08-09-11, 19:31
To channel a little Rob_S........ go shoot it and then see what it needs. It might just run well enough to suit your needs. Then you can read and learn here and get a better gun the next time around.

All I did to mine was slap a BCM compete upper on my old Bushy and it does fine for what I require of it.

ARPATRIOT
08-09-11, 19:44
Back in "98 me and a buddy bought new BM's,and beat the shit out of them(we were young).Mine was 100% trouble free,his was a piece of shit!I know they get a lot of hate,but i'd say shoot it for now and upgrade as you go.Or sell the upper for a better one if you want???

bm_gunner78
08-10-11, 08:00
i have put alot into my decisson and im gonna wear this one out training up then get a quality weapon

ARPATRIOT
08-10-11, 08:23
i have put alot into my decisson and im gonna wear this one out training up then get a quality weapon

Keep us posted,i'd like to see how it holds up.

thehun
08-10-11, 09:21
bushmaster is crap for quality...local LE SWAT has some bushmasters (free) and they are the loose as all get out and the fitment of parts is just CRAP...your lower is probably ok...but get a new upper from BCM or other quality manu

munch520
08-10-11, 09:31
Keep us posted,i'd like to see how it holds up.

I'd be curious to see this too...how many rounds are you planning to run through it? How often?

And feel free not to answer...but what'd you pay for the BM?

I can argue points as to why it should be done. What argument can you make for the 'why not' column? Other than it might save the manufacturer money? Either way, I can't believe that it'd be too tedious a step in the manufacturing process.

bm_gunner78
08-10-11, 09:38
i will keep you up to date on how its workin out

jhs1969
08-10-11, 09:55

This is not a bad idea, however I would recommend getting a quality carbine asap. The way the nation is going there is no telling when another desprate rush to buy arms will hit.

bm_gunner78
08-11-11, 05:50
i got to wait till some r and r before i can do anything right now.

bm_gunner78
08-11-11, 05:54
delete

Magic_Salad0892
08-11-11, 05:58
delete

Not really. Stick to the following.

Colt. LMT. Bravo Company. Daniel Defence. Knights Armament. Heckler & Koch. Noveske. Centurion. Or VLTOR, if they start putting out a complete rifle.

gunguy98
08-11-11, 06:06
You can also build your own which is the way I ended up going and a lot of people do to. I like doing things myself and it gets me to know my rifles inside and out.
While I was building my new rifle I did some upgrades to my old Bushmaster, not cost effective but I wanted to keep the rifle and make it better.
Here is the thread if you want to check it out.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=84287