View Full Version : .22lr conversion kit consensus?

Reciprocator
08-09-11, 11:14
So I've searched the forum top to bottom trying to find what you guys think is the best .22lr conversion.

Unfortunately I hear mixed things about all of them, but it is my general understanding that the CMMG conversion kit is the best value and quality.

I mainly want it for taking the girls out shooting.

I'd like to hear what you guys think, and if you can... point me towards a good deal ;)

GunnutAF
08-09-11, 12:43
I have the CMMG kit and have no problems with it at all. Have used it in both my 16" Carbine and Colt 20" MT. :D Cheaper then buying a AR 22 or upper. Great way to pratice drills on the cheap!:) Accuracy is good enought to tag Wissel Pigs (Ground Squirrels) out to 100 + yards!

SpaceWrangler
08-09-11, 12:56
CMMG clearly states that it takes about 200 rounds to break the kit in properly, and they're right. I use it in my Colt 6520. The first day out I had lots of Failures To Feed, so I brought it home, disassembled it, and polished all the working surfaces.

That was better, but then I had lots of Failures To Eject. I kept working through it, and after about 300 rounds, I could get through a 26-rd magazine with no issues.

Also, the drop-in kits don't work well with Notched Hammers. I replaced my hammer with a rounded one, and the reliability went way up.

CMMG's (and maybe other drop-in .22LR kits) are very ammo-sensitive. High-velocity is preferred, with Remington being stated in the brochure as being the least reliable. Winchester 333 seems to work well in mine. It's pretty reliable now. I'm glad I have it.

M&P15OR
08-09-11, 12:57
Love my CMMG kit also. I got the stainless kit so it doesn't seem to build up the carbon as quickly . Great way to practice with cheap ammo. Don't think you can go wrong getting one and the 50 round drum mags are fun to shoot though not real practical for stick mag drills but are easier to reload than the stick mags.

Reciprocator
08-09-11, 12:59
Well it sounds as though the CMMG is truly the way to go.

What kind of pricing should I look for when I'm buying one (so as to avoid getting ripped off)?

Shiz
08-09-11, 13:03
I have been apprehensive about the 22 conversion kits. what slightly concerns me is getting lead in a barrel where it was never supposed to be. Lead deposits can be tough to clean, and I don't want to gum up the gas port.

Again, just slightly concerned.

1GIG
08-09-11, 13:07
Not one malfunction with my CMMG. Shoot bulk pack Wal-mart specials. Fun, cheap way to get trigger work and time in. I went with the blued kit from palmettostatearmory.com. Kit, one mag, and one loader for $129.99. Picked up a couple extra Black dog magazines for around $17.00 each.

товарищ
08-09-11, 13:13
I have been apprehensive about the 22 conversion kits. what slightly concerns me is getting lead in a barrel where it was never supposed to be. Lead deposits can be tough to clean, and I don't want to gum up the gas port.

Just shoot a few rounds of .223/5.56 every once in a while to clear it out.

SpaceWrangler
08-09-11, 13:14
Just shoot a few rounds of .223/5.56 every once in a while to clear it out.

Yep...

Dionysusigma
08-09-11, 13:39
Also, the drop-in kits don't work well with Notched Hammers. I replaced my hammer with a rounded one, and the reliability way up.

Do you think Geissele FCGs would work? A few of my rifles have them...

Reciprocator
08-09-11, 13:44
Not one malfunction with my CMMG. Shoot bulk pack Wal-mart specials. Fun, cheap way to get trigger work and time in. I went with the blued kit from palmettostatearmory.com. Kit, one mag, and one loader for $129.99. Picked up a couple extra Black dog magazines for around $17.00 each.

WOW! thanks for showing me that! That's by far the cheapest I've seen the CMMG kit go for. Definitely gonna order one of those in the next week or two. Hopefully they still have some left in stock...

SpaceWrangler
08-09-11, 13:46

I believe they would work just fine, as the face of the hammer and its transition upward are smooth... nothing to get hung up on the CMMG .22LR bolt as it functions.

Colt hammers for comparison...

http://www.ar15.com/content/legal/ar15-m16parts/hammer.gif

And a Geissele...

http://geissele.com/images/products/display/SSA.png

DWood
08-09-11, 14:28

A dedicated .22 upper solves this "issue". They are not too expensive. Spikes and Tactical Solutions come to mind.

Dienekes
08-09-11, 14:35
Had one for a while. Accuracy mediocre, reliability fair at best. Went to a 15-22 and am much, much happier. I suspect your kids would be too. More expensive but well worth it.

QuietShootr
08-09-11, 17:46
IMO, none of the conversions or other uppers can hold a candle to the M&P 15/22. It's inexpensive, accurate, reliable, and the manual of arms is exactly identical to my ARs.

SpaceWrangler
08-09-11, 17:51
IMO, none of the conversions or other uppers can hold a candle to the M&P 15/22. It's inexpensive, accurate, reliable, and the manual of arms is exactly identical to my ARs.

Well, no. The quick drop-in conversion bolt is just that... a quick drop-in conversion bolt.

QuietShootr
08-09-11, 17:56
it can't come CLOSE to the utility of the .22 unit just because of that fact.

It's simple. I don't use my .308s to shoot 5.56 either. And how utilitarian is it if it doesn't meet my need - which is to have a training gun that has the same manual of arms as my fighting guns.

Caeser25
08-13-11, 22:25

My SD3G works with the brownells kit.

GeorgiaBoy
08-13-11, 22:41
I've had great luck with mine. I have nearly 500 rounds of .22 through it, and I can remember maybe 5 jams or less. I don't really shoot it that much though.

I exclusivly use Federal Champion hollow point's with it.

Hot Holster
08-13-11, 23:04
CDNN has the stainless model for $149. Just keep it lubed and it will be fine. I use Winchester 333's or 555's in 36 gr hp.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ar22stcokitw.html

M&P15OR
08-16-11, 01:10
CDNN is where I got mine also for $149.00 also for the stainless kit .

shadow65
08-16-11, 12:36
The cheap CMMG kits you guys are seeing are the old, discontinued kits. don't confuse them with the new, Evolution kits.
Most of the "reliability" issues you are having have been addressed in the Evolution kit.
I always recommend stainless. Smoother, easier to clean and stays clean longer. It's also stronger steel.
A lot of problems that happen, especially with the parkerized kits, is when the unit is taken apart, which is not recommended, the rails get bent. All sorts of problems are the result.

The older kits are cheaper. Just be aware of what you are getting.
Dave N