PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for a 20 minute class

Paladin_139
08-09-11, 12:53
Alright I don't have enough posts to post in the general general discussion forum so I'll just post it here.

I'm currently going thru the FLETC firearms instructor course and next week I'll have to teach a "20 minute class on anything firearms related." I've taught several classes before but nothing on firearms. I'm not concerned about teaching the class, just coming up with a good topic. I want to do something that wont bore the class to death, ie weapons cleaning maintnence etc... Any ideas? I'm thinking the history of the 1911 or something of that nature.

Travis B
08-09-11, 14:02
I created a powerpoint on the infantry rifles of the United States of the 20th century. It took me about 15 minutes to present, but I skimmed slides. If you would like a copy you are more than welcome to use it.

ST911
08-09-11, 14:14
I want to do something that wont bore the class to death...I'm thinking the history of the 1911 or something of that nature.

I thought you didn't want to bore them. :D

I mostly hate those presentations. In a bunch of instructor classes, I can only think of a handful of presentations that were worth the time they took up in the course. They're mostly an endless parade of instructor candidates who crash something together that's repetitive and dull, all under the false premise that the 20 minutes will somehow reveal who is capable of instructing and who isn't.

Sorry, down from my soapbox. Good on you for trying to be different.

(Skip the 1911 thing. Really.)

fixit69
08-09-11, 14:15
1911 sounds good. Can't go wrong. I'll sit for 20.

Maybe I'm just boring.

Shawn.L
08-09-11, 14:15
I dont know anything about your cert, but I had to do something similar for my NRA Instructor Cert and I did it on presentation from the holster and forming a firing grip.

You could pick just about any skill set. If you did reloads you could cover the speed reload, emergency reload, and a variety of tac loads and cover their application.

Iraqgunz
08-09-11, 14:23
I had to do something like this a few months back. My partner and I did a class on low-light shooting. Our class had to be 15 minutes. We talked about various tehcniques, different lights on the market, pros and cons, etc... Was a good class and we scored well.

RetreatHell
08-09-11, 14:31
Although a bit biased, since it's my article and all:D, I recommend one or more of the topics/issues from this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=38540

The responses I've gotten from law enforcement officers and LEO Firearms Instructors from all over the US, and several foreign countries, has been outstanding.

Just an idea, not sure if it's anything you're looking for though.

Bantee
08-09-11, 14:33
I would think low-light shooting would be a great 20 min. class! Wouldn't bore anyone to death, & you would have ample material to fill your 20 min. time requirement. Hell, I'd sit through it!!

Dienekes
08-09-11, 14:42
Officer down shooting? Gunshot wound first aid?

I went through that training in 1981 when Jim Cirillo was an instructor there. Spent some very interesting one on one time with him...

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

markm
08-09-11, 14:50
I thought you didn't want to bore them. :D

No kidding! :no:

Reagans Rascals
08-09-11, 15:03
teach a class on situational awareness.... use topics like the Tueller drill and things of that nature, start off with examples of public shootings that have occurred recently in places like malls and universities and things like that, maybe use the example of the shooting that just took place at Applebee's where the victims b/f put the dude down. Just being generally aware of whats going on around you. I would give good examples where I asked the class to close their eyes and then paint the picture they are walking at night back to their car, and describe each person they see, are their hands visible, are they avoiding eye contact, how are they posturing, did they park in a well lit area or an area they knew to be well lit at night.... there are some things to be said about being at the wrong place at the wrong time, but still having the mindset and awareness to survive.

as you are talking maybe begin to do something out of the ordinary, to see how well they are aware of whats going on, to kind of drive the point home

tuck
08-09-11, 15:45
teach a class on situational awareness.... use topics like the Tueller drill and things of that nature, start off with examples of public shootings that have occurred recently in places like malls and universities and things like that, maybe use the example of the shooting that just took place at Applebee's where the victims b/f put the dude down. Just being generally aware of whats going on around you. I would give good examples where I asked the class to close their eyes and then paint the picture they are walking at night back to their car, and describe each person they see, are their hands visible, are they avoiding eye contact, how are they posturing, did they park in a well lit area or an area they knew to be well lit at night.... there are some things to be said about being at the wrong place at the wrong time, but still having the mindset and awareness to survive.

as you are talking maybe begin to do something out of the ordinary, to see how well they are aware of whats going on, to kind of drive the point home

I second this. SA is not so common of a thing now days and a class that explains how to improve it would be interesting.

Preliator
08-09-11, 17:04
Particularly if the class is in front of a bunch of the FLETC staff.

Although I have a devilish impulse to tell you to teach a class on how AR-15s are used in the modern combat arena/modern carbine techniques, I can tell you from personal experience that there are A LOT of "firearms" instructors down there that are absolutely living in the stone age - it would be a great education for them.

S/F

Paladin_139
08-09-11, 18:08

I really like this idea. We are actually going through officer down/recovery and low light stuff as part of the normal course so I don't think it'd work for me to reteach what they just taught the day before etc. I'm liking this one so far but I'm still gonna search the net for ideas.

UCFiveOh
08-12-11, 12:07
I did active shooter loadout options and IFAK for LEO for two of my presentations in my Police Instructor course. Both were very well received.

JodyH
08-12-11, 12:14
Tactics for utlizing night sights, weapon mounted lights and weapon mounted lasers in low light shooting with handguns.
That'll really blow some FLETC minds.

AZ-Renegade
08-12-11, 12:43
I had to do the same 20 minute presentation for my agency instructor certification. I ended up doing mine on the history of the M1 Garand.

I heard tell of an instructor who did his on how to date two women at the same time without getting shot.

bsmith_shoot
08-12-11, 13:00
How about the pros/cons of each weapon platform(handgun, shotgun, rifle) in a home defense role. Handgun, shotgun, and rifle benefits and hindrances are a hot topic most people can relate to.

Surf
08-12-11, 13:17
I did a presentation on the CLAWS weapon system for a similar instructor course the FLETC style general instructor course, not firearm specific. I did the full powerpoint with pictures, diagrams etc...

C Close
L Long Range
A Adaptive
W Weapons
S System

Full dress BDU's, bloused pants, cap with perfect forward lean, boots with a high shine. Walked in serious as all can be carrying one rifle sized pelican case with the weapon and one small pelican case with the ammunition. Went to the front of the clase, plunked down the cases and fired up the power point.

In my most serious dead pan SWAT guy style, I related to the class that I would be presenting a new weapon system for our dept that has yet to be released as public information. I related that I needed to obtain special permission to be able to present it in this classroom setting. It had been decided that this class was going to be selected to debut the weapon system.

I continued to cover and reinforce the firearms safety rules on my powerpoint as we were going to each be handling the weapons system. Now that I had everybody's undivided attention I popped open the Pelican cases and presented the CLAWS weapon system.

I first opened the Pelican ammo case and pulled out genuine ammo boxes and spread them out. I also laid out safety glasses. Now this was getting interesting. This was not a firearms class, so people started to get interested. I guess they thought they were about to see something really cool.

As I continues I popped open the rifle case to present the weapon. I then reached in and pulled out the close range weapon, Pic from my powerpoint, of course I held up my fingers without a rubber band and everyone was a bit confuzzled at this point.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Misc/IMG_3532copy.jpg

I then reached back in and presented the Long range weapon (in sniper mode) again no rubber band.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Misc/IMG_3533.jpg

The class was a bit confused and I then presented the "ammo" the rubber bands stored in actual ammo boxes. At this point people really caught on and the mood shifted from cool gun stuff, to confusion, to humor.

I discussed various and multiple ammo types that it could fire, velocities, distances, terminal ballistics etc...
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Misc/IMG_3531.jpg

Discussed history of the rubber band and how it translated into office combat. I related that this was a very serious topic around our office of 50 guys and it is a well kept secret. I instructed on how to safely load, unload, speed / combat reload etc, etc, etc....

To validate that my audience had absorbed the material that I instructed I split the class directly in half. First half of the class came to the first row, where I had eye pro waiting for them. After donning the eye pro I told them on my commands that they would be executing a load, unload and reload procedure. Again in a serious dead pan style I barked out the range commands...."On the load command, shooters will load their weapons and verify that they are loaded........Line ready?.............LOAD!" I did this also for unloading and reloading.

Then as a test of their skill and allowing them to actually fire the weapon system of their choice. I instructed them that they would start with an UNLOADED weapon. On the "GOING HOT" command they would then see a target flash on the screen and they would have 3 seconds to load their weapon, acquire the target and fire. I then bark out "IS THE LINE READY? THE LINE IS READY........GOING HOT....." I then fire up the powerpoint and the large Bullseye target appears on screen for 3 seconds and everyone loads up and launches rubber bands at the screen.

On the second relay, one guy had a slip on on the loading and the rubber band snapped forward onto the table. I then yelled out "CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE" and everyone stopped and stared. I told them to "MAKE THE LINE SAFE". I then told the class that we had an Negligent Discharge on the range. I gave remedial instruction on the procedure and continued. Poor guy turned red. :D

It was actually hilarious and everyone had a great time. Definitely nothing like that has been pulled off before and it is one of those talked about presentations to this day. Much more fun than if I would have done something serious. In reality, I touched on all the main points taught in the course, with a good validation of my materials presented. Everyone had fun and sometimes it is more fun to have a good laugh. It definitely broke up the monotony of some of the presentations. There is a good hint of the above in my actual teaching style. :D

WS6
08-12-11, 17:52
Meh. I would do anything but the history of the 1911. The rubber-band-gun presentation sounds like it made much more of an impact than anything *serious* could.

Invented. Implemented by the military. Rode the legend of the .45 Colt's performance in the Philippines. Became out-classed in every way by the BHP design. Remained in service regardless. Group of fanatics that would rather tinker with their pistols than shoot them created multiple websites about it. Finally replaced by the military with an Italian pistol.

Sotex
08-12-11, 19:56
In the spirit of Surf's presentation, how about "Tactical Considerations for the Armed Professional Using a Public Restroom".

In addition to the obvious humor, some actual tidbits of wisdom can be presented, such as using the stall instead of the urinal, not letting the weapon be seen/grabbed whilst astride the throne, NOT hanging it on the coat hook by the triggerguard, NOT leaving it sitting on the tank when you leave, etc.

JStor
08-13-11, 16:52
How about "Choosing An AR15 For Home Defense?" You know...point out a few of the desirable characteristics and such from the chart.

ST911
08-13-11, 17:02
Take the opportunity to slaughter sacred cows and creatively poke folks in the eye.

Talk about the difference between concealed and discreet carry, and why cops don't seem to grasp it. Especially dicks and other plain-clothes types. Talk about how having an oops-card (a badge) guides how their carry decisions are made, and the comparative peril they're in if discovered vs Joe Citizen.

Talk about why a citizen's CCW is none of their business.

Talk about why no one should take advice from instructors that "throw a gun underneath the seat/in the glovebox when I travel." You'll have a few of them in the room.

Talk about the difference between years of service and years of experience, especially if you have any 20 year and up types in the room. Or 10-15 year types aspiring to think too much of themselves. Relate it to firearms.

Talk about why 20 minute mini-lectures are ineffective at assessing any instructional ability, except at extremes, and why class time would be better spent on other exercises.

Food for thought.