PDA

View Full Version : grip tape on M&P

NC_DAVE
08-09-11, 19:49
Does any one have grip tape on thier handgun, if so what kind of tape or how do you get it to stay in place?

I put some non skid tape on my M&P fullsze two nights ago. I got the tape from home depot. It seemed to apply well, but after two days the ends are already peeling up on the edges by the back strap. Does any one have any suggestions as how to stop this.

I have also chossen not to use stippling on my hand gun since it is department issued. Just if any body was wondering.

Mitch
08-09-11, 20:04
I don't have grip tape on mine (its stippled) but there are several options out there. here are a couple:

Powder River Precision (http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc?productId=31&categoryId=7)

TruGrip (http://www.ericwesselman.com/store/M%26P.html)

BCmJUnKie
08-09-11, 20:06
Ive always used Hockey Tape. The edges dont really curl up.

I cant stand stippling or the Hogue grips

bulbvivid
08-09-11, 20:10
You might want to look into the Milwaukee Grip: http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?/topic/29332-wts-the-milwaukee-grip-backstrap/

A guy has come up with a gritty adhesive and applies it to the removable backstraps. I've used one for months now and it has held up well. I did discover that Powder Blast and the like will remove the coating, though the seller did send me another with no questions asked.

Though you might still have to apply tape to the front of the grip, the grit on the Milwaukee Grip isn't going to come off for a long time. I don't think it's going to last forever, but it's relatively inexpensive and works very well for me.

ETA: He was selling them on eBay but apparently doesn't have them for sale there now. I'd just e-mail him using the address on mp-pistol.com. Also, here's a review: http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?/topic/29552-milwaukee-grip-first-range-trip/

DocH
08-09-11, 20:17

I cant stand stippling or the Hogue grips Glad to know there's at least one other person here who doesn't care for stippling.

I hate being alone in a savage land.:D

BCmJUnKie
08-09-11, 20:22
Glad to know there's at least one other person here who doesn't care for stippling.

I hate being alone in a savage land.:D

Lo I hear ya man. Actually I met a guy here that uses hockey tape too. It wa slike finding my long lost brother hahaha.

darr3239
08-09-11, 20:25
Try this guy. I've used his products for several years on Glocks and I'm more than happy. Just enough of a texture to grip securely, but not so much to wear away your hand, clothes, etc.

http://www.ericwesselman.com/store/M%26P.html

polydeuces
08-09-11, 20:43

I cant stand stippling or the Hogue grips

HOCKEY TAPE GOOD!
Cheap and when wet it turns into glue, sort of.
When doing drills in really wet weather (tropical monsoon rain deluge) on purpose, with the idea that training only when it's nice outside is nuts, first thing figured out was everything gets very very slippery. Slippery and grips is bad combination. Add hockey tape and all is well.
Added bonus: cheap, and easy to replace.

BCmJUnKie
08-09-11, 21:50
HOCKEY TAPE GOOD!
Cheap and when wet it turns into glue, sort of.
When doing drills in really wet weather (tropical monsoon rain deluge) on purpose, with the idea that training only when it's nice outside is nuts, first thing figured out was everything gets very very slippery. Slippery and grips is bad combination. Add hockey tape and all is well.
Added bonus: cheap, and easy to replace.

I know! Im at the range every sunday regardless of the weather. I never understood the whole "its not nice enough to go shooting" thing.

The wrap you have is that reusable? I mean its not sticky right? It just sticks to itself?

I use that stuff on a daily basis for work. The white wrap makes for good camo in the winter as a riflr wrap

polydeuces
08-09-11, 22:02
It would be reusable, it sticks to itself. But at the price (like, $2 or so for a roll) you don't really want have to. Like it when it looks all raggedy though....all manly 'n shit.....
(now if it only came in pink or neon green)

BCmJUnKie
08-09-11, 22:11
It would be reusable, it sticks to itself. But at the price (like, $2 or so for a roll) you don't really want have to. Like it when it looks all raggedy though....all manly 'n shit.....
(now if it only came in pink or neon green)

Are you joking or serious. Im going to assume you know, I have it in my drawer at work right now, in Pink, Green, Blue, Yellow, Red brown white etc etc etc. Lol

Sensei
08-09-11, 22:13
I've used TruGrips, rubber intertubes, hockey tape, and stippled the grips on some of my M&Ps / Glocks with some degree of success. However, you have to balance the aggressive grip texture vs the grip adhering to clothes and causing a weapon signature during concealed carry. For example, the relatively smooth grip on the M&P may be the hardest to control with moist hands, but is the least likely to grip clothing or car seats. The more aggressive TruGrip provides plenty of friction for moist hands, but adheres to clothing and is especially hard on Lycra sports fabric. It is also very uncomfortable if it makes skin contact when the shirt rides up. The same holds true for Gen 4 and RTF Glocks.

Personally, I've had the best success with the grip modifications (tape, rubber, or stipple) when using a thigh holster and wearing gloves. The materials lock-up tight and I do not have to worry about concealment issues..

nimdabew
08-09-11, 23:10
I use ladder grip tape on top of my slide, and just stipple the back strap. I have been lazy and haven't done the stippling on my new back strap yet though.

PD Sgt.
08-10-11, 00:18
While I stipple the backstraps, since they are cheap and removeable, on my issued pistol I use grip tape on the front strap and under the trigger guard. Our armorer would have a child if I took a woodburner to the frame.

I use Brownell's grip tape, and on the front strap wrap it from about the inside edge nearest me (when holstered) around to the middle of the grip on the side away from my body. This way I do not tear up my shirts. I use a smaller piece under the trigger guard. So far the tape on the front strap has held up very well, with no moving around or curling. The smaller piece under the trigger guard has a tendency to move around a bit, especially at first. I usually end up replacing this small piece every month or so. The front strap piece I replace about every 4 to 6 months, they really hold up well.

JW5219
08-10-11, 07:14
Try some Vet Wrap. Any farm supply, or feed and grain store should have it. It only sticks to itself, is cheap, and comes in many colors.

polydeuces
08-10-11, 08:32
Are you joking or serious. Im going to assume you know, I have it in my drawer at work right now, in Pink, Green, Blue, Yellow, Red brown white etc etc etc. Lol

Pink grip tape so I can be like the dude in the video - shoot my pecker off with a pink pistol.....:D

Guns-up.50
08-10-11, 08:55
skateboard tape works well.. I know that Vz makes strips of grip tape for front and back straps, i beleive its taylored to 1911s but i dont see why it wouldnt fit any gun

LDM
08-10-11, 09:52
I have Brooks A-grip on a couple of handguns and really like this product. I have it on Kahr PM9 and it makes a world of difference for this weapon. I also have it on a H&K P2000 and it enhances that grip as well.
It is sorta like a velour material, although that is not a good explanation it is the best I can do. One of those things you gotta experience for your self. Great for sweaty hands and provides a very secure grip (which is where it shines on the Kahr PM9)
This product comes in some pre-cut patterns for specific weapons, but if doing it today I would buy the 5x8 sheet and cut out a pattern just a bit larger than some of the slip-on rubber grip sleeve. You could do two handguns from that one sheet.

wahoo95
08-10-11, 10:55
If you have to use tape I hear the Milwaukee Grip is good stuff.

You don't want to stipple because its a Department issued pistol.....understood. What about just ordering a pre stippled backstrap so that the factory backsrap isn't modified? There are several options out there for good ones depending on how agressive you want the pattern to be. AZIATOR does a nice one!

For my hands find most of the stipple jobs I see are way to aggressive and cover areas of the grip/pistol that are not needed. I did my own and limited it to the front strap and replacable backstrap. I chose a texture that gives me plenty of traction without being overly abrasive.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/IMG_5589.jpg

BCmJUnKie
08-10-11, 10:58
Try some Vet Wrap. Any farm supply, or feed and grain store should have it. It only sticks to itself, is cheap, and comes in many colors.

Thats the same stuff he had pictured, also its the same stuff I have at work.

I found out a few days ago that its used on animals, a friend is a vet

readyme
08-12-11, 22:26
I too am no fan of stippling. The A-grip looks like a good product....have to order some and try it out for myself.