PDA

View Full Version : OBR featured on Top Shot episode

OTO27
08-10-11, 01:29
Today I watched the season premier of Top Shot and to my amaze they actually had a bad ass gun in there, an OBR! The host made an interesting remark about it, he said "its popular with special ops" I dint know it was fielded by any SF units but hey I have been out of the military for a while and dont really keep up much with whats issued now and what not so I guess its possible. I just havent read anything on here about it being fielded. SO, either he is smoking that good shit or I have been living under a rock. Either way, its noce seeing it on the show. Good timing as I am about to get my hands on one or the PredatAR.

caelumatra
08-10-11, 12:34
I got an email from Larue last night around 730 and it called me by name and said "Hey, don't forget. Top Shot season 3 premiers tonight on History"

I thought that was really cool of them propping up a positive gun show. They dont send out emails reminding people that horse shit show Sons of Guns is coming on. Larue sends a copy of the Constitution, an NRA membership package, Dillo Dust, and the bottle opener. And I thought this was just them furthering the mission to break the stereotype that guns are just killing machines or used exclusively by rednecks with no teeth, but that they can be used for sport and its a legitimate skill. I even explained it like that to my fiance when she didn't see the significance of Mark Larue emailing me lol

Then I saw the OBR on the show and I laughed at myself. Not that its a bad gun or anything. I just thought it was funny that I took the time to rationalize and defend Larue a little and it was really more of an advertising move lol

But thats ok. The show was pretty drama free, which is great. I hate reality tv and all the drama. The two who went to the elimination range didnt start bitching they just talked to each other.

rob_s
08-10-11, 12:36
I made a comment elsewhere about the host's comment that "Special Ops use this gun" and was assured by Freddie Blish that this is a factual statement. Regardless of what one thinks of Larue, I think very highly of LTC Blish and take him at his word.

Titleist
08-10-11, 12:38
Good to see the 16" version getting some love. Too bad it looked like no one knew how to use an AR last night. I just DVR'd through the drivel that is that show, saw the OBR, had a drink, finished it up, and moved on.

Good gun. Really good gun. I really love mine.

Palmguy
08-10-11, 12:48
Good to see the 16" version getting some love. Too bad it looked like no one knew how to use an AR last night. I just DVR'd through the drivel that is that show, saw the OBR, had a drink, finished it up, and moved on.

Good gun. Really good gun. I really love mine.

I watched it at 0100 so I was a little out of it but I seem to remember that at least the first pair of guys on the blue team seemed to know what they were doing, in contrast to the majority of the other contestants (who from that point on almost universally were using various magwell holds).

I did chuckle a bit at the guy that got up there and didn't even bother putting a mag in the gun before trying to shoot his target...:rolleyes:

markm
08-10-11, 12:52
I can't change the channel fast enough when I see that show come on. :rolleyes:

Titleist
08-10-11, 12:56
We're they also not allowed to drop prone or get their body on the railing? But the mag grip was just stupid.

nickdrak
08-10-11, 13:17
We're they also not allowed to drop prone or get their body on the railing? But the mag grip was just stupid.

Nope. It was a 75 & 100yd shot from an unsupported standing position from the elevated platform.

Titleist
08-10-11, 13:21
Nope. It was a 75 & 100yd shot from an unsupported standing position.

Roger. Thanks.

3seven4
08-13-11, 20:35
The overall winners of the 2010 International sniper competition at Ft. Benning were a team from the US Army special operations command. Both were using Larue OBR's.

brickbd
08-13-11, 20:38
The overall winners of the 2010 International sniper competition at Ft. Benning were a team from the US Army special operations command. Both were using Larue OBR's.

All you need is one branch or special ops entity to make the, "Spec ops uses this" for it to count!

Titleist
08-13-11, 20:39

Yep, and the next year the OBR wasn't allowed, because only "issue guns" were acceptable. Read into that how you will, but the OBR spanked the competition.

ardrone56
08-14-11, 12:28
I had the opportunity to look at the LT OBR at the NRA Convention in May and liked what I saw. I am thinking of getting the 16" OBR, but was hoping I could get some firsthand insight from fellow members that have experience with it at the range. Before I shell out $2995+ for one, i am looking for individual reviews from members that are familiar with it.

post tensioned
08-14-11, 12:43
I had the opportunity to look at the LT OBR at the NRA Convention in May and liked what I saw. I am thinking of getting the 16" OBR, but was hoping I could get some firsthand insight from fellow members that have experience with it at the range. Before I shell out $2995+ for one, i am looking for individual reviews from members that are familiar with it.

Well I've fired one that belonged to a friend and it's a really good gun. In fact, I don't think I've ever read a bad thing about them, except maybe the weight. I think there are more glowing reviews of the OBR than almost anything else out there. You shouldn't be too hard pressed to find feedback on them.

99HMC4
08-14-11, 15:56
Even more so than the LMT?

JPB
08-14-11, 18:06
Even more so than the LMT?

There have been plenty of MWS dissenters on this site.