PDA

View Full Version : Wrist compass recommendation

RDX
08-10-11, 05:10
I am looking for a small compass that I can put on my watch. I have looked at the Suunto clipper and the Silva wrist compass. Does anyone know of any other good companies that make some? I would want it to be small, about the size of a quarter or small and fairly cheap.

docsherm
08-10-11, 08:15
I have a cheap Silva wrist compass that I have had for about 8 years. It works great and has been down-range 9 times. They are well worth the money.

K.L. Davis
08-10-11, 09:30
I used the Suunto Clipper for a long time... and still do, but I recently got the Brunton little watchband compass and I love it.

The thing I dig about it is that it does not "clip on" - you have to feed the watchband through it, but that makes it a lot narrower... I wear the compass on the inside of my wrist (so I am looking at it when holding a map), so I like that it is narrow.

The only gig against it is that you can only get about a 3/4 inch wide band through the slot, but it fits perfect on my Casios.

RDX
08-10-11, 09:35
KL,

Thanks for that info. Does that one have the degrees on the dial like the suunto? Also have you seen how true it is to a top notch compass?

K.L. Davis
08-10-11, 09:47
No degree wheel, it is just a card with cardinal points.

I use it almost exclusively for orienteering - it is perfect for determining northish, but there are still times you need to pull out the "real" compass.

just a scout
08-10-11, 10:23
Lttle bigger than you want, but I'm wearing a Suunto M-9 on "The Band" from Kohl's with my Luminox watch. Little big, but works good for me and is pretty comfortable.

chuckman
08-10-11, 16:39
My experience is that the Clipper (which I have) and those like it are great for determining cardinal directions or getting a quick "where the hell am I headed?", E&E type of compasses, but for anything more the larger watch-size (or 'real' compasses) are best for 'real' navigation. I use my Clipper quite a bit and it has taken a beating and for the price you can't beat it.

RDX
08-11-11, 02:27
Thanks for the info guys. Does anyone know of any other brands besides those? I had already looked at the Suunto and the Silva but I am trying to find a few more options. The brunton seems like a good alternative and a little bit cheaper.

Tortuga
08-30-11, 08:35
I'm also a Clipper user. I wind up using it more than any other compass. I find myself glancing down at it just for SA quite often. In the field it's my go-to to verify the students are following the nav plan as briefed.

Dennis
11-07-11, 02:10
How about recommendations for a similar very small compass with cost as not an issue? The clipper is the only one that has worked for me but I would like to know other high quality options as well? I have used all the well known brands mentioned and have had failures with each due to general cheapness of construction.

Also, the Suunto website shows the clipper as discontinued...

Thanks for any help!

Dennis.

variablebinary
11-07-11, 18:44
I forget the brand, but I got a small compass from the PX and wear it on my watch band.

Works great for spot checking direction during land nav.

Battle*Hound
02-14-12, 18:20
Isn't digital up to par?

just a scout
02-14-12, 20:36
I've since changed to a Tritium wrist compass from Camenga. Works very well, nice and bright, accurate to within 1 or 2 degrees. Much better than the cheaper ones. And it attaches well to the band, like a watch. Sturdy case also.

Dennis
02-14-12, 23:00
Isn't digital up to par?

I have had 3 gens of digital watch compasses from Casio to Suunto and now a new Casio Pathfinder and it does work very well. It's just too slow to get a bearing for my needs and I don't always like wearing a huge plastic watch.

I've since changed to a Tritium wrist compass from Camenga. Works very well, nice and bright, accurate to within 1 or 2 degrees. Much better than the cheaper ones. And it attaches well to the band, like a watch. Sturdy case also.

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

Dennis.

just a scout
02-15-12, 17:48
http://www.cammenga.com/product_p/j582t.htm

Here's the link.

duece71
02-18-12, 12:51
http://www.cammenga.com/product_p/j582t.htm

Here's the link.

Very nice. Total KISS. Thank you for the link, I think I am going to pick one up.