PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Close Quarters Weapon

Reagans Rascals
08-10-11, 08:18
Recently found this photo of my grandfather in Peleliu, 1944. He's carrying what can only be described as the greatest close quarters weapon of all time. He retired as a Lt. Col after serving in the pacific theatre of WW2, including the battles of Guadalcanal, Peleliu, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa, the Korean War, 2 tours in Vietnam and serving as the CO of Ft. Drum. He's currently in the VA Hospital just outside of Rochester NY, preparing to depart to that big R&R in the sky. Just thought I'd share it...

Grizzly16
08-10-11, 09:14
No danger of over penetration there!

rob_s
08-10-11, 09:15
just don't want to get TOO close.

Suwannee Tim
08-10-11, 09:35
It's a squirt gun, right? A big 'ole squirt gun.

JasonM
08-10-11, 09:36
Thanks to your grandfather for his service!

Suwannee Tim
08-10-11, 10:17
Thanks to your grandfather for his service!

Ditto that from me. He looks ripped in the photo. I'm sorry he is sick, I hope he is not suffering.

shua713
08-10-11, 10:33
i saw an episode of sons of guns where they rebuilt a flame thrower for a wwii vet that was awarded the medal of honor. thank you all vets for the service you provide to secure our freedoms

TXBob
08-10-11, 11:30
Tough to get a 10 shot group to measure accuracy.....:D

Reagans Rascals
08-10-11, 15:33
It's unfortunate that in a few years all of those who fought so hard in WW2 will be gone... and with them gone the war too will fade away and in coming decades begin to be remembered just as the civil war is now.

Jake'sDad
08-10-11, 19:01
Recently found this photo of my grandfather in Peleliu, 1944. He's carrying what can only be described as the greatest close quarters weapon of all time. He retired as a Lt. Col after serving in the pacific theatre of WW2, including the battles of Guadalcanal, Peleliu, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa, the Korean War, 2 tours in Vietnam and serving as the CO of Ft. Drum. He's currently in the VA Hospital just outside of Rochester NY, preparing to depart to that big R&R in the sky. Just thought I'd share it...

Your Grandpa had balls of steel. The flame thrower carrier was the favored target for snipers, and for everyone else when they got close. It wasn't the tank blowing up that was the big danger, just the fact that everybody wanted to kill that guy before he could get close enough to light them up.

When he gets to the VFW hall on the other side, I know my Pop will be glad to buy him a beer.

Jake'sDad
08-10-11, 19:02
It's unfortunate that in a few years all of those who fought so hard in WW2 will be gone... and with them gone the war too will fade away and in coming decades begin to be remembered just as the civil war is now.

Frankly, they teach less about WWII in schools today then they taught about the Civil War when I went to school.

B Cart
08-10-11, 19:11
Wow thank your grandfather for me! Those were some major campaigns he participated in, and there were some awful battles fought on those islands. He has some balls for sure. I hope he passes peacefully whenever that time comes.

P2000
08-10-11, 21:21
Your grandfather has made us all proud. That is a really awesome picture worth treasuring.

montanadave
08-10-11, 21:29
Wow thank your grandfather for me! Those were some major campaigns he participated in, and there were some awful battles fought on those islands. He has some balls for sure. I hope he passes peacefully whenever that time comes.

My thoughts as well.

A remarkable life informed by a lifetime of service to his nation.

Wish him well.

M4Fundi
08-10-11, 21:29
God Bless him!

mjkeat
08-11-11, 01:16

Sounds like your grandfather has been there done that.

There's still a few of use teaching our sons the importance of U.S. history and pride in country. Mine is only 3 but it's never to early.

Trajan
08-11-11, 05:56
Thank your dad for his service.

Frankly, they teach less about WWII in schools today then they taught about the Civil War when I went to school.

No shit. I work with some woman who didn't even know there was a Second World War.

GermanSynergy
08-11-11, 07:39
Thank your dad for his service.

No shit. I work with some woman who didn't even know there was a Second World War.

I was discussing politics and the merits/drawback of foreign intervention with a guy who never heard of Pearl Harbor. He was dead serious.

OP, thank your grandpa for his faithful and diligent service to our great nation.

Ironman8
08-11-11, 07:53
Thanks to your grampa for his service!

It really is sad to know that there aren't many of those guys left. Me and the fiance just had this conversation a few days ago. Her grampa was a WWII pilot that was shot down over Germany and taken prisoner for a few years...didn't get out till after the war. He passed before I got to meet him, but his wife (my fiance's grandma) is an amazing woman. 86 years old and moves as quick as I do lol...that generation really was IMO the greatest generation.

The_War_Wagon
08-11-11, 08:20
Amazing stuff - I'm proud just to have learned about him!

Scoby
08-11-11, 09:02
Those old guys were really something. God Bless Him.

I'm finishing up a book now, With The Old Breed by Eugene Sledge. It is about his experiences as a Marine in WWII with a mortar squad in Peleliu and Okinawa.

Very good read.

Jake'sDad
08-11-11, 10:11

It's appalling what passes for education and history.

The sad truth is, with all the resources today, internet, etc., it's easier to learn about it than ever. They just don't give a shit.

austinN4
08-11-11, 10:14
Recently found this photo of my grandfather in Peleliu, 1944.
I have dived around Peleliu and took the opportunity to walk among the abandoned war wreckage on the island, both US and Japanese, including downed aircraft and tanks. What a hell hole it must have been.

He retired as a Lt. Col after serving in the pacific theatre of WW2, including the battles of Guadalcanal, Peleliu, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa, the Korean War, 2 tours in Vietnam and serving as the CO of Ft. Drum.
Incredible! If you can, please pass along my highest thanks and salute. Godspeed to one hell of a warrior!

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-11-11, 14:16
A real war horse from the old breed! God speed to what sounds like a great man!

mr_smiles
08-11-11, 15:08
Your Grandfather has balls, really really massively huge made of steel balls.

:D

HK51Fan
08-11-11, 20:08
Your Grandpa had balls of steel. The flame thrower carrier was the favored target for snipers, and for everyone else when they got close. It wasn't the tank blowing up that was the big danger, just the fact that everybody wanted to kill that guy before he could get close enough to light them up.

When he gets to the VFW hall on the other side, I know my Pop will be glad to buy him a beer.

I was going to say exactly the same thing. When I saw that pic the first thing that went through my mind was..........that man had some sac!