PDA

View Full Version : Federal Contract for 5.56 Frangible Ammo

GP100
08-10-11, 09:28
Just came across this:

Federal Cartridge Co., Anoka, Minn., is being awarded a $46,500,000 firm-fixed-price, indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity contract for AA40 5.56mm frangible ammunition. The AA40 5.56mm frangible ammunition is a commercial item that will be utilized by the Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard in rifles and carbines chambered or this caliber without modification.

Thats alot of cartridges...

TMS951
08-10-11, 09:44
What bullet do these use? In doing some searching I read about a 2002 contract with black hills for this ammo.

Does it use the Barnes MPG?

It is a lot of ammunition, I wonder how many cents a piece they are?

innocuous_username
08-10-11, 09:50
what would the .mil use frangible ammo for?

GP100
08-10-11, 10:44

I did a quick google search on the contract and got the following in addition to the info I posted previously. They call it training ammunition but it also talks about CQB and urban terrain ops training.

"This training ammunition is ideal for training purposes as it is designed to disintegrate into small fragments upon impact, minimizes over-penetration and ricochet hazards during military operation in urban terrain and close quarters battle trainings, therefore, reducing the risk of personal injury. The polymer-compound round produces no splash back, which vastly decreases ricochets. Additionally, it does not contain any lead or hazardous materials, therefore, eliminating health and environmental hazards."

GTF425
08-10-11, 10:49

Shooting iron maidens within 50 yards.

Iraqgunz
08-10-11, 14:15
Hello. We have an ammo section. Please make sure to post in the appropriate area. Thanks.

FYI- When I was in the Coast Guard we purchased 5 years of ammo at one time. If the other branches do the same then it's easy to see why the cost is so high.

Just came across this:

Federal Cartridge Co., Anoka, Minn., is being awarded a $46,500,000 firm-fixed-price, indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity contract for AA40 5.56mm frangible ammunition. The AA40 5.56mm frangible ammunition is a commercial item that will be utilized by the Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard in rifles and carbines chambered or this caliber without modification.

Thats alot of cartridges...

JSantoro
08-10-11, 14:42

Because bullets that turn to powder upon impact exist, collecting a bullet in the nuts by shooting hard targetry at very close ranges with standard duty ammunition is nowdays considered to be...unpopular.

markm
08-11-11, 08:37
What bullet do these use?

Probably that same 556NT round that Ammoman had a while back.