PDA

View Full Version : Downloading magazines

msigette
08-10-11, 15:09
Hey guys I tried doing a search to no avail, so if this is already asked please point me in the right direction. My question is this how many magazines do you have loaded up for self defense for pistol and rifle and how often do you switch magazines? I normally have at least one or two loaded up, but I am not sure how often you should download them and switch mags. I have quite a few so its not a huge deal to load up more or do some kind of rotation with them. I was just wondering how the rest of you do it.

Thanks in advance.

PaulL
08-10-11, 15:19
I load them to the tippy-top and put them on a shelf, in a mag pouch, or in my gun. They seat fine fully loaded in my M&P and they always seated in my 19, also. Screwing around cycling the springs unnecessarily will get you in a bind sooner than leaving them alone. As for how many...as many as I can afford or find for sale.

aaron_c
08-10-11, 15:32
I think that handgun mags, which are designed to be durable and last a long while, should be fine to load to the max. Where it's good to down-load, I think, is with mags such as AR mags that are designed to be disposable (and, thus, cheap/thin/light).

msigette
08-10-11, 15:35
O and this is not for SHTF this is for self defense (aka bump in the night). And cycle the mags on the CCW, so i do not leave the same rounds in the mag for 6 months to a year.

Thanks again.

DocGKR
08-10-11, 15:48
Load the magazines. Leave them alone. When you check for function and POA-POI with your duty ammo every 6-12 months or so, then shoot the duty/carry/SD ammo. Otherwise do NOT cycle the ammo, just LEAVE THE MAGS ALONE!

On 9mm Glock, 9mm HP, and AR15 mags, I choose to load 1-2 rounds less than capacity (ie. download by 2); all other mags I load to full capacity.

Iraqgunz
08-10-11, 16:15
Wow. Look what I found by using the ORANGE search button. In addition there have been severl discussions as to how many mags to keep loaded. Bottom line is it's a personal choice just like, underwear, feminine hygiene products, toothpaste, etc...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=27626

https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-39949.html

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=66654

Hey guys I tried doing a search to no avail, so if this is already asked please point me in the right direction. My question is this how many magazines do you have loaded up for self defense for pistol and rifle and how often do you switch magazines? I normally have at least one or two loaded up, but I am not sure how often you should download them and switch mags. I have quite a few so its not a huge deal to load up more or do some kind of rotation with them. I was just wondering how the rest of you do it.

Thanks in advance.

msigette
08-10-11, 17:17
I just wanted to say thanks to all. You answered my questions. And i do appologize I did use the search button but it seams I was using the wrong key words, as all I was finding was for shtf info and stuff like that.