PDA

View Full Version : My evaluation of the big three: Comp-Tac, Crossbreed, Tucker Gunleather

masakari
08-10-11, 16:12
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/SuperTuckDeluxe/tabid/90/List/0/ProductID/1/CategoryID/1/Level/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName
Crossbreed Supertuck, horsehide, 1911 with or without rail
This was my first IWB holster. I mainly used it with my 5” railed 1911 for a couple years, and did use it for a little bit with a 4” Kimber Pro. Fantastic company, these guys really care about their customers. Very well made and designed holster, excellent style of Kydex molding. My original config was without the combat cut. About a year ago, I was at my girlfriends house and came downstairs to find that my holster and mag pouch had been chewed up by her dog. I was able to salvage them and cut away the eaten parts, and now actually like the holster better, and if I ever get another, it will be with the combat cut. Right now this holster is very old, and shows it… but its still chugging along!
Something to note though: the version that I have is an older version. The belt clips have a very poorly painted on finish, and it is made from a slightly thicker leather… both features that I actually like better. I got another Supertuck for a while, which sold with my 4” Kimber Eclipse, and I found that the leather was a little on thin side, and that the clips were very glossy, which makes them squeak very audibly. Its pretty damned annoying.
Another thing: I found that I would need to drill small holes where my magazine release would be to avoid accidental ejection of the magazine. Not a big deal, but worth noting.
PROS:
Simple, durable design
Excellent Kydex molding
Metal clips
FANTASTIC customer service
CONS:
I liked the older version better
Squeaky clips
May need to drill magazine release recess (get combat cut, trust me)
Kydex riveted to leather. Only bad because it cannot be user replaced like other holsters, if it ever cracked… which I doubt it will.
This was my second IWB holster, for my Springfield XD. I was very surprised to find that I liked it about as much as the Crossbreed Supertuck. Awesome quality, very quick turnaround. It has adjustable tension which is cool, and its molding is well executed. I found that in order to holster my pistol though, I need to point it toward my hip to wedge it between the holster and leather, and then slide it in. this is because of the way that it adjusts, and it inherent with the design. I found that the low sweatshield was perfectly molded to shield me from the pistol while enabling me to get a firm grip before drawing. The clips that came with it though are just a bit too flexible though, and I found that when wearing thick bants and a belt, they tended to bow out and lose their secure grip on my belt. This was solved by ordering some C-Clips from Comp-Tac, which make the issue completely disappear.
The leather is polished and I found that this was less than desirable. Some sort of soft backing that absorbs sweat would be nice, like suede. I think the solution for this will be the Comp-Tac Spartan, which I foresee being my next holster, this time for my Glock36.
PROS:
Robust and well tailored to fit the human body
Adjustable tension
C-Clips are SOLID and don’t squeak
VERY FAST turn around time
CONS:
leather on the back shouldn’t be polished, but rather a lining like suede
must point weapon at your hip to reholster.

And here comes Tucker Gunleather. Online, this just seemed like it had everything good about the other two holsters combined… I was excited! Turns out… I was unpleasantly disappointed. I REALLY wanted to like this one, I really did.
So I ordered this as a new primary holster to replace my old but usable Crossbreed Supertuck. When it arrived 3 months later, I found that the 130 degree heat of my location (Yuma, AZ) had melted the included clips and made them expand… when I tried to holster my firearm, the holster too had slightly expanded. This was very disappointing, but not Tucker Gunleather’s fault. I called and emailed and when I got a response back, boxed it up and sent it all back. While waiting again, I wrote to Rob @ Tucker asking for all of my clips to be changed to the slim versions instead of the standard versions. He said sure, not a problem. I also ordered one of their IWB mag pouches. He said that he would ship it all together.
So another month goes by and I get my package from Tucker, and here is where it all goes downhill. I open it up and NOPE, clips not switched to slim versions. I then go to fit my pistol and it just slides around, with little or no tension securing it in the holster. I crank down on the tension adjustment, but the issue is that there is almost no nub in the trigger guard section to hold it in place. I think that they just sent me the heat damaged one again, but Im not sure.
It should be noted that Rob gave me the option for a refund but at this point I figured with all of the shipping, it wasn’t even worth it and I decided to instead fix it myself since they seemed incapable. He did say that he would ship extra slimline clips with my IWB mag pouch at a later time. But they didn’t, again.
So, I got a lighter and heated up the trigger guard area, and formed it to fit my 1911. Not it fits a lot better, and it is right now the holster I use to carry my 1911, until I get a Comp-Tac Spartan.
PROS:
Awesome build materials. Simply the best quality parts go into this. And its pretty.
Silky smooth and comfortable suede backing
Very secure clips (slimlines work the best)
CONS:
Bad communication between internal departments. Good communication directly with me though.
Subpar tension and molding of the kydex
Long wait time
Most expensive