PDA

View Full Version : AR chest rig qustion?(bigger guys)

ARPATRIOT
08-10-11, 17:49
I'm 6ft and weigh 2MUCH(working on it).I'm VERY interested in the BFG Ten Speed.Any other options i should look at?I want something simple,single mag pouches(hold at least 4).

custom-x_sponjah
08-11-11, 09:17
Being a bigger guy myself, you should have no problem using the majority of the chest rigs on the market.

I'm a minimalist..

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/26543_119744504703901_111845712160447_279446_5142988_n.jpg

CXS

Hawg_Leg
08-11-11, 11:31
I stand 6'5" and weight about 250.

I use a mayflower low pro and it fits just fine.

my issue is torso length vs. shoulder width, i dont have too much issue with belly size.

ARPATRIOT
08-11-11, 11:47
Well,i just ordered the BFG Ten Speed from SKD.

J-Dub
08-11-11, 12:56
Being a bigger guy myself, you should have no problem using the majority of the chest rigs on the market.

I'm a minimalist..

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/26543_119744504703901_111845712160447_279446_5142988_n.jpg

CXS

thats a joke right?

John W
08-11-11, 16:13
I'm a minimalist..

CXS

High speed. Nice rig, very functional and probably takes half the time to done as it does the full action figure types.

:tup:

fourXfour
08-15-11, 21:37
I'm 6-0, close to 300'lbs. The BFG Ten Speed AR chest rig fits just fine. I ran it in a carbine class a few months ago.

I'm also curious about the battle belts (brokos) for big guys. Just curious how it will work with a bigger belly.

ARPATRIOT
08-16-11, 07:07
I'm 6-0, close to 300'lbs. The BFG Ten Speed AR chest rig fits just fine. I ran it in a carbine class a few months ago.

I'm also curious about the battle belts (brokos) for big guys. Just curious how it will work with a bigger belly.

Good to hear!I ordered mine last week.USPS tracking said it would be here last Saturday,but never showed up.I hope this doesn't get lost too....:mad:

Surf
08-18-11, 22:43
Check out this rig. Would work well for larger guys.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=87194

Doc Safari
02-23-12, 16:02
I'm six foot two (eyes of blue) and weigh around 260. I look like the bald guy on the TV show "The Shield" but with a tad more gut.

I definitely did not like the fit of the FLC vest. I can use it with the straps only (can't zip the front up), but that leaves the MOLLE area under each arm where the pouches will be more in the way, IMHO.

Currently I plan to try a USGI Enhanced Tactical Load Bearing Vest (NSN 8415-01-296-8878) that I just bought off ebay because the side adjusts with laces. If need be I can install paracord cut to longer lengths. I used to own a Blackhawk vest that was similar to the Omega Elite Tactical Vest #1, except it too had laces on the sides instead of quick-detach buckles. I could not find that exact vest on their website. Believe me, the flexibility afforded by being able to substitute paracord for the laces made an unusable vest my favorite for many years.

BCM's 03 MSF harness looks interesting, but I prefer the mag pouches enclose the mags as much as possible to keep sand out.

I cannot find any good pics of how much adjustment the side straps have on that rig, but people have posted that big dudes can wear it, even over body armor. I'd love some input on this.

When I bought my AK I purchased one of those lifchik type chest rigs most people buy for Airsoft. :rolleyes: Sadly, that's what I'm using now. It fits, and it works, but the AR mags sit too far down in the pouches.

I'm really hoping the enhanced tactical load bearing vest works. I'll probably return to this thread after I get it and have a chance to try it on, make adjustments, and whatnot.

ra2bach
02-23-12, 16:38
I'm six foot two (eyes of blue) and weigh around 260. I look like the bald guy on the TV show "The Shield" but with a tad more gut.

I definitely did not like the fit of the FLC vest. I can use it with the straps only (can't zip the front up), but that leaves the MOLLE area under each arm where the pouches will be more in the way, IMHO.

you need to remove the belt to adjust the size. it will fit fine...

Doc Safari
02-23-12, 16:41
you need to remove the belt to adjust the size. it will fit fine...

How do I remove the belt? I just messed with it a little last night. Everything looked stitched together? :suicide:

Found a PDF on the subject, but it's still not 100% clear:

http://www.atu.edu/rotc/docs/14_MOLLE_Usecare_1_.pdf

Guess I'll have to pull it out and go over it again.

ra2bach
02-23-12, 17:17
How do I remove the belt? I just messed with it a little last night. Everything looked stitched together? :suicide:

Found a PDF on the subject, but it's still not 100% clear:

http://www.atu.edu/rotc/docs/14_MOLLE_Usecare_1_.pdf

Guess I'll have to pull it out and go over it again.

no it's not stitched together. pull it out and it will all become clear to you...

first go inside the belt tunnel and loosen the straps. then go around back and locate the stiffened tabs (they look like a sideways "T") that ARE stitched to the vest body but are inserted into the pals webbing, top and bottom, of the belt. pry that out of the webbing and the belt is free to remove.

zip up the vest and then adjust the size with the stiffened T tabs. then go back into the tunnel and tighten the belt straps at the clips.

alternately, you can remove the belt completely and reverse it with the strap clips in that back. keeping the zipper up front closed, it lets you use the vest as a chest rig in this configuration.

I set mine up this way and you just throw it over your head and clip it at the rear - very handy. it does reduce the amount of actual pals webbing available at the rear but I don't care as I use this with a first line belt and prefer to have nothing mounted on my lower back.

again the FLC is not perfect. but it is cheap and does serve to allow you to baseline your preferences for pouch location, number and type.

send pics when you're done... :cool:

Doc Safari
02-23-12, 17:24
alternately, you can remove the belt completely and reverse it with the strap clips in that back. keeping the zipper up front closed, it lets you use the vest as a chest rig in this configuration.

I set mine up this way and you just throw it over your head and clip it at the rear - very handy. it does reduce the amount of actual pals webbing available at the rear but I don't care as I use this with a first line belt and prefer to have nothing mounted on my lower back.

Cool. Thanks for the tip. I think I'll set mine up this way too.

send pics when you're done... :cool: :haha: LOL. Not likely. I do have a camera but posting pics of myself on the net...Nah. :D

ra2bach
02-24-12, 14:36
:haha: LOL. Not likely. I do have a camera but posting pics of myself on the net...Nah. :D

I meant of the rig. no one wants to see your ugly mug...

:D

Doc Safari
02-24-12, 14:57
LOL!

Well, I got it adjusted the way I want. I think I'll stick to using the zipper in front instead of flipping the belt around to snap in back for now.

I'll know more when I start adding pouches.

The fact that the thing was only $13.00 on ebay is what got me to try it out in the first place, so it came with nothing in the way of accesories.

This is an incredible bargain: I looked at ebay and a couple other sites and you're right about FLC vests being dirt cheap. Various pouches are really, really inexpensive, too.

As long as you make sure you buy the genuine military article I see no reason to plunk down beaucoup bucks for some high dollar tactical vest unless it suits your needs in a unique and necessary way.

ASH556
02-24-12, 16:11
I too am a bigger guy and I find the BCM03 split front to work very well and comfortably.

ra2bach
02-25-12, 14:27
LOL!

Well, I got it adjusted the way I want. I think I'll stick to using the zipper in front instead of flipping the belt around to snap in back for now.

I'll know more when I start adding pouches.

The fact that the thing was only $13.00 on ebay is what got me to try it out in the first place, so it came with nothing in the way of accesories.

This is an incredible bargain: I looked at ebay and a couple other sites and you're right about FLC vests being dirt cheap. Various pouches are really, really inexpensive, too.

As long as you make sure you buy the genuine military article I see no reason to plunk down beaucoup bucks for some high dollar tactical vest unless it suits your needs in a unique and necessary way.

well, you're right about most of it. but I and many others have found shortcomings of this rig. however, you don't know what you don't know and the FLC allows you to try out and experiment with a lot of different ideas/things for not a lot of cash. till you do know...

:dirol:

Doc Safari
02-26-12, 16:40
No matter its limitations, it's still got to be better than the Vietnam era ALICE web belt and suspenders that I used to use to carry my mag pouches. :blink:

Doc Safari
02-28-12, 09:03
Well, I got the USGI Enhanced Tactical Load Bearing Vest (NSN 8415-01-296-8878).

The good news is: I got it to adjust to my size without having to replace the laces. I can also zip up my winter coat over it, something I can't do with most other gear.

The bad news is: it's heavy and bulky. Once I got it loaded with four full USGI 30-round mags, a pistol belt, pistol holster, and my Glock, I'd swear the damn thing weighs as much or more than my fully loaded ALICE gear. And that's without a canteen.

I had intended the Enhanced vest for long walks along the perimeter of the ranch, but it's dang heavy.

Dave_M
03-01-12, 00:32
The stuff that OneSource sells usually fits bigger guys.

This makes sense, if you are into the joke :D

But it's true. They'll adjust to fit better than most for bigger guys.

Doc Safari
03-05-12, 11:03
Anybody have any experience with this Blackhawk vest?

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Omega-Elite-Tactical-Vest-EOD,15,85.htm

I had a Blackhawk vest years ago that fit fine as long as I replaced the laces with longer ones. This one doesn't appear to use laces, but they talk about having an additional 32" of girth adjustment.

BTW, I tried out the Enhanced vest out this weekend. Over hills and through brush it banged against my rifle unacceptably. In fact, when I returned home I found that the rear takedown pin on my rifle had been partially pushed out. It was almost flush with the left side of the receiver. I've never had that happen before. I wonder what would have happened if I'd had to engage something quickly and hadn't noticed the pin partially pushed out? I think it's because the way the mags are stored on that vest: they bang into the rifle at an odd angle. I've never had that happen before.

In addition to that, I think I definitely prefer my mag pouches to be across the middle or all on the left side of the vest, but then you run into balancing issues. I think I will configure my FLC vest to have the mag pouches all to the left of the zipper, but then what to balance the vest with on the right?

Failure2Stop
03-05-12, 11:07
There is NEVER a good reason to go to Blackhawk.
Ever.

TacMedic556
03-05-12, 15:52
There is NEVER a good reason to go to Blackhawk.
Ever.

and to that we say AMEN BROTHER.

I would recommend ESSTAC. Their quality and customer service is bar none. Great guys. Stu will custom make anything you need. The Bush Boars are great, and comfortable. Get the harness with it. You will not go wrong.

Doc Safari
03-05-12, 15:57
I'm not arguing with you, but I'm curious as to what you guys dislike about Blackhawk? I thought they were considered top of the line? :confused:

krisjon
03-05-12, 18:57
I'm not arguing with you, but I'm curious as to what you guys dislike about Blackhawk? I thought they were considered top of the line? :confused:

They do make the top of the line AD/ND holster. :D