PDA

View Full Version : New T-1 - I have a question about the lens you look at...

alank2
08-11-11, 13:22
Hi,

I received a new T-1 today from MidwayUSA and the lens you look at has an interesting thing about it I want to find out if it is normal. On the lens you look into, where the glass meets the edge, there is a concave shape to it, almost like some sort of liquid that hardens was put over it and left to harden. (Not sure if that is how they made it or not). What is odd is that perhaps 90 degrees CCW from the emitter, there is enough of this stuff to form a straight line across instead of following the curve of the lense. It isn't too long, perhaps 1/4" and it sticks in from the edge perhaps 1/8" instead of 1/16" like the rest of the circle.

When looking at it from perhaps 12" you can see the emitter how it takes out a little bit of the lower right corner, this takes out maybe half as much from the upper right corner.

How do other T-1's look? I'm assuming they also have this concave edge all around the lens. Is it even on yours or heavier on side than the other?

I don't want to be picky, but with the price of these things, I want to make sure it is right.

Thanks,

Alan

bp7178
08-11-11, 13:43
Can you post a pic?

alank2
08-11-11, 14:16
Hi,

Can you post a pic?

Sure, here is a couple:

http://www.sadevelopment.com/info/t1-1.jpg

http://www.sadevelopment.com/info/t1-2.jpg

Wiggity
08-11-11, 14:20
Looks good to me.

alank2
08-11-11, 18:08
Hi,

At 11:30-12:00 it is about 1/8" thick, you can see it in the top picture where the light stop reflecting. On the opposite side around 5:30 there is very little...

If you have a T-1 can you see if it is similar or very even all the way around?

Thanks,

Alan

bp7178
08-11-11, 18:54
That looks typical of every T-1 i've seen. Its a sealant used when they make it. Some have little, some more, some in different places.

If it bothers you, Midway has a great return policy.

Skang
08-11-11, 20:07
When I had mine, it looked like that too.

alank2
08-11-11, 20:18
Hi,

Good deal guys, thanks for the info!!

Alan

Rattlehead
08-11-11, 20:19
This is normal for a T1.

ETA: beat me to it.

Crow Hunter
08-11-11, 21:03
That is the sealant that is used to mount the glass in place. It is hand applied at the factory and sometimes they get a little extra on there.

Per my discussion with a very helpful Quality Engineer at Aimpoint.

I have it on one of my M4s as well:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/anewbill/IMG_0727.jpg

OTO27
08-13-11, 23:40
Hey alan, got a quick question about your T1 purchase from Midway. I got mine last week, but it came in a white box instead of an original black aimpoint box. Also, the actual sight was wrapped in bubble wrap as opposed to foam padding, and it brought no mount what so ever. I got it when it was on sale for 499. Juts wondering if you got it like this also. I was able to register it on aimpoints web site with no problem.

alank2
08-14-11, 08:28
Hi,

Hey alan, got a quick question about your T1 purchase from Midway. I got mine last week, but it came in a white box instead of an original black aimpoint box. Also, the actual sight was wrapped in bubble wrap as opposed to foam padding, and it brought no mount what so ever. I got it when it was on sale for 499. Juts wondering if you got it like this also. I was able to register it on aimpoints web site with no problem.

Yes exactly. Mine came exactly the same way. I think Aimpoint sells a non-retail box edition without the mount at a lower price. That is how many websites can offer a t1/mount combination at such a good price.

I ended up sending mine back in hopes of getting one with the sealant a little more even. How does yours look?

Thanks,

Alan

OTO27
08-15-11, 21:49
Mine does not look as pronounced as yours but there are irregularities in different areas. I think its normal as my other T1 looks about the same. From your picture it looks like they over did it with the sealant and it made its way too much into the actual viewing area. On mine the sealant doesnt make it onto the viewing area. Glad to hear aimpoint is willing to work with you.

alank2
08-15-11, 22:09
Hi,

I went ahead and just sent it back to MidwayUSA since they have a great return/exchange policy and they shipped another out to me today. Hopefully I'll have it later this week and it will be less pronounced.

Thanks,

Alan

Eagle1*
08-20-11, 11:53
do you guys know if the H1's have this "extra" sealant issue on the lense??

alank2
08-20-11, 12:40
Hi,

I would imagine that the H1 uses the same sealant, but I don't know for sure.

I got the replacement T1 and it is fine. Shot with it today at the range and it is an absolutely superb optic. It was very sunny and the aimpoint has no problems keeping up with the brightness.

My one concern about accuracy at longer ranges was no problem at all. With a 4" black bullseye at 50 yards, I can easily center the red dot in the middle of it and get great accuracy. I originally designed the 4" black bullseye targets for 100Y with a scope (4moa), but at 50Y they are 8moa and I had no problem with the T1's 4moa (or 3.2moa) dot with them. I'll bet I could shoot at 100Y with a 8" black dot and do pretty well too, well test next time.

Thanks,

Alan