PDA

View Full Version : So I'm publicly eating crow; but I still need some advice ;)

Long Tom Coffin
08-11-11, 19:21
So as a few will remember, I did a thread a few weeks ago about moving to a different platform for pistols than I was currently using; I currently am operating on the Gen4 G19, but decided to switch to the M&P instead.

Indecisive as ever, I've reversed that decision.

Before I made the decision to buy anything, I told myself I would wait one month to fully make up my mind (end of august). After that original thread, and after reading and re-reading other threads on here ad nauseum by folks much more experienced than myself, I've decided to remain with my current system and pick up another Gen4 G19. I succumbed to a bit of the Gen4 hysteria and a bit of what GKR coined the "juvenile collector phase", when the 2010 Gen4 I have has functioned flawlessly over 4,500+. Some of the weaker ammo has weak ejection but the duty stuff all ejects into low earth orbit. I figured it would be stupid to trade in what I work well with now and then have to relearn a whole new platform. So, I'm going to be grabbing another gen4 g19. I was originally thinking about getting a g26 for ankle carry first but since I won't be wearing pants for another couple of months I figured I could wait on that. I'm also planning on getting a TLR-1. I've never used a mounted light before but I figured it would be a nice addition just in case I do need it.

One question I do have is in regards to night sights. For the past year I've been using XS Big Dots on the g19. I do like some aspects of the system, but the benefits don't outweigh the drawbacks. I like their high visibility and ease of use, but I just cannot bring myself to get a consistent pattern with them at anything greater than 15 yards. So, I'll be getting two new sets of sights. Are there any recommendations out of ones I should look at? Failing that, is there any specific qualities which are generally desirable for ccw night sights?

Spiffums
08-11-11, 19:27
I think I have some hot sauce around here somewhere to make the crow more tasty.

Long Tom Coffin
08-11-11, 19:43
I think I have some hot sauce around here somewhere to make the crow more tasty.

I prefer barbecue sauce on my birds. And some alcohol to go with it. :alcoholic:

l8apex
08-11-11, 19:59
We've all eaten crow, takes a man to.admit it.

I've been happy with the Trijion HD sights with yellow front. Never took a liking to orange, but that's subjective to the individual. Noticed faster splits over my second favorite sights, defoors. Give them a look. YMMV.

okie john
08-11-11, 20:03
I was originally thinking about getting a g26 for ankle carry first but since I won't be wearing pants for another couple of months I figured I could wait on that.

I know you didn't mean for that to be funny, but it is.

Okie John

mkmckinley
08-11-11, 20:05
I really like the Ameriglo Pro Glo front sights. In fact I think they're the best thing to happen to sights since tritium lamps. They work really well day and night. There are different rears that you can use but I like the I-Dot style with no whit surrounds. You don't get shooting in the light but you can use them efficiently at night.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-11-11, 20:09
This thread is extremely reassuring as my academy will be requiring us all to buy Gen 4 Glock 22's.

Long Tom Coffin
08-11-11, 20:35
I know you didn't mean for that to be funny, but it is.

Okie John

LTC :haha:

You're right that was hella funny. I didn't even think about it until you pointed it out. I'm still laughing

Long Tom Coffin
08-11-11, 20:43
This thread is extremely reassuring as my academy will be requiring us all to buy Gen 4 Glock 22's.

With my 9mm, the super el cheapo range ammo brands eject about 4 or 5 inches to the right. The worst experience I have had was where one casing literally danced on the type of the slide. I'm going to chalk that one up to an ammo problem because that was from an exceptionally bad box of WWB. Cases were bent, bullets were sunk into the casings, the rims were folded, etc. I actually took that box back to the purchase point and got a refund.

FWIW, I have yet to see an issue with an of the gen4 .40's at the range or with any people I know who have them. I think from what I was reading that the largest portion of the gen4 "problems" were reserved for the 9mm chambering.

rathos
08-11-11, 21:38
I second the I dot sights. I prefer the ones with the yellow rear.

cop1211
08-11-11, 21:41
Ameriglo "Hacks".

ryr8828
08-11-11, 21:44
Don't be a puppet to this forum or any other. If you want a SW then go get one.
I never recommend trading guns however.

tpd223
08-11-11, 23:48
Ameriglo, I swapped from my 24/7 XS sights and I am very happy with the results. Same speed, better accuracy.

jamaicanj
08-12-11, 07:49
I've tried the xs sights but could not hit with any great accuracy beyond 15-20 yards. I've seen folks on YouTube demoing xs sights and being super accurate out to distance, but that simply is above my skill set I guess.

I've used trijicon, and ameriglo as well and have now settled on Sevigny carry sights with tritium (scy-011) for my carry guns. The Sevigny sight uses a green tritium front sight, with a single dimmer yellow rear sight, plus it's the same sight picture as my Sevigny competition sight that I have setup on my ipsc G35.

All the best

J

QuietShootr
08-12-11, 07:59
Yeah, I had the same problem with the XS sights. I embarrassed hell out of myself at a class when I showed up with them and Pat R. asked me what the hell had happened to my pistol shooting.

JonInWA
08-12-11, 08:01
For night sights, I prefer Trijicons, as they provide a very good day and night sight picture-I've got them on my G19; they came that way as OEM equipment. While I have yet to try their night sights, I've been very pleased with my Warren Tacticals, which I have on my G34.

After using Trijicon (and other) night sights over the years, these days I'd be more inclined to simply get a tritium front sight, and stick with a plain rear sight.

Best, Jon

d90king
08-12-11, 09:36
The regular Hack's and also the Hack GL433 are my preference. They should offer what you are looking for. The Big Dots are awful sights and these will offer a significant improvement.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/c33ae374.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/b12313e1.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/GL433-1.jpg

Agile53
08-12-11, 11:35
"The regular Hack's and also the Hack GL433 are my preference. They should offer what you are looking for."

What Pat said above.

Nephrology
08-12-11, 12:21
Ameriglo "Hacks".

Yeah, this. Have them on all my glocks, can't imagine using anything else.

darr3239
08-12-11, 12:39
Heinie Straight Eights have served me very well, with no reduction in long range precision.

nobody knows
08-12-11, 14:03
Trijicon HD with orange front http:// http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff396/Joe19111/IMAG0012-1.jpg great sights vary bright and very well built.

Robb Jensen
08-21-11, 07:32
I like the Warren 2 dot sights, these are similar to Heinie straight eights but the rear dot is amber and a lot smaller than the front dot.