PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on MI gen 2 drop in handguard?

variablebinary
08-12-11, 01:20
I saw this rail in a local shop and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or opinion on it.

Weight, durability, heat, stability, etc etc etc

http://66.147.244.241/~aronefi1/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/midwest-industried-mctar-17g2-gen-2-drop-in-handguards-21.jpg

http://66.147.244.241/~aronefi1/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/midwest-industried-mctar-17g2-gen-2-drop-in-handguards.jpg

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt105/joeh177/IMG_1949.jpg

BCmJUnKie
08-12-11, 01:28
On my first rifle it was a toss up between this and a Troy. I went with Troy.

I have never heard anyting bad about them and they look good.

Any reason other than its local that you dont want to go with Troy or DD?

variablebinary
08-12-11, 01:40
On my first rifle it was a toss up between this and a Troy. I went with Troy.

I have never heard anyting bad about them and they look good.

Any reason other than its local that you dont want to go with Troy or DD?

The MI drop in rail is significantly cheaper, especially for military.

DD drop in rails are twice as expensive, but I don't see where they offer twice the performance...

Stan9106
08-12-11, 03:56
I have a 7" set on my BCM carbine. Locks up nice and tight, much tighter that a set of MOE handguards I had on it before. Fit and finish are great. If you need rails without free float, they are definitely a good choice.

ARPATRIOT
08-12-11, 05:29
Great for the price,super lite and lock up rock solid!!!

mark5pt56
08-12-11, 06:00
I have a Troy unit now and am about to order the MI. I would order two but they say it won't fit a Colt. I like the fore/aft QD slots in the Troy and MI, I don't know why DD refuses to put them in. States some inability to do it during manufacturing-then how does Troy/MI do it?

bushyfan24
08-12-11, 07:18
I have a Troy unit now and am about to order the MI. I would order two but they say it won't fit a Colt. I like the fore/aft QD slots in the Troy and MI, I don't know why DD refuses to put them in. States some inability to do it during manufacturing-then how does Troy/MI do it?

May I ask, why wont MI rails fit the Colt?

I have MI rails on my other rifle and they have worked out very well. I was planning on ordering a set for the 6920 that's on the way.

Thanks

mark5pt56
08-12-11, 10:37
May I ask, why wont MI rails fit the Colt?

I have MI rails on my other rifle and they have worked out very well. I was planning on ordering a set for the 6920 that's on the way.

Thanks

You know, I just checked their site and they don't mention it, I got that from Brownell's

I'm thinking now that it's a different add.

SPECS:

6061 T6 aluminum, mil-spec hardcoat anodized, matte black. 6¼" (15.8cm) long, 2½" (6.3cm) wide, 23⁄8" (6cm) high. 10 oz (300.5g) wt. 65⁄8" (16.8cm) long. Fits 16" mil-spec gas impingement carbine barrels, and CMMG, Osprey Defense, Ares Defense, Adams Arms carbine-length gas piston systems. Will not fit Colt-manufactured AR-15/M4.

Catalog page 40
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=38856/Product/AR_15_M16_TWO_PIECE_CARBINE_HANDGUARD

BCmJUnKie
08-12-11, 11:09
The MI drop in rail is significantly cheaper, especially for military.

DD drop in rails are twice as expensive, but I don't see where they offer twice the performance...

I know what you mean, dont get me wrong I would love to have a DD RIS II, but honestly dont know how it could possibly be almost $400.

markm
08-12-11, 11:19
I know what you mean, dont get me wrong I would love to have a DD RIS II, but honestly dont know how it could possibly be almost $400.

I've installed the RIS IIs for people, and I own an MI.

The RIS II far outclasses MI's product... but I agree to an extent.... How much is that worth?? :confused:

ARKAR
08-13-11, 08:43
Me and my nephew just bought a couple of BCM 14.5 w/A2X uppers. We went with the MI Gen2 handguards and, so far, we like them. Handguard locks up solid and very lightweight. I feel they were a good choice and a great value for the money spent. Go on and off easily too, just incase I want to drop a MOE handguard on it. Really like the continuous-appearing top rail also. Not really a purpose for it, but it looks really cool. I'm 100% satisfied with them.
http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy320/ARKAR_photo/IMG_3161.jpg?t=1313244860
http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy320/ARKAR_photo/IMG_3160.jpg

ARKAR

Stickman
08-13-11, 12:08
I wrote up some information about them for Army Times in one of my reviews. I consider them to be the current "best bang for the buck" in a non-FF rail. You can see the below for more info and images.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/03/07/midwest-industries-mi-17-gen-2/

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/04/13/midwest-industries-mi-18-drop-in-midlength-handguard-gen-ii/

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/mi18-rail/Stck_4018-1024-Stick.jpg

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/mi17-rail/Stck_3229-1024-MT.jpg

ARKAR
08-13-11, 14:06
Stickman is one of the reasons that I went with the MI Gen2 rail. I'm glad I took his advice.

ARKAR

chupa88
08-14-11, 16:11
How is the heat transfer on these handguards? I used the MOE handguard at carbine 1 & 2 in FL and those suckers heated up fast! Was thinking about swapping them with something else that didn't transfer heat so well and then ran into this review.

So what are your heat experiences with them when shooting sustained fast strings with them?

Thanks!

товарищ
08-14-11, 16:53
The one on my beater M&P15 is doing well.

Stan9106
08-14-11, 17:47
How is the heat transfer on these handguards?

Being in direct physical contact with the FSB and gas block, they do get hot faster than a free float. I put a set of Magpul XTM rail covers on mine which have helped a lot because my hand is no longer in direct contact with the metal handguard.

RD62
08-14-11, 18:56
MI makes good stuff.

I've had hands on a lot of their product, though I admit I haven't handled this new rail.

Things I have noticed about the MI Gen 1 drop in were it was a good price, installation was very easy, the machining and finish always looked good, and I never had an issue with the product being in spec.

Compared to a Troy or DD rail, they are wider and heavier. The Gen 1's were noticeably so. In fact if memory serves a MI Gen 1 drop in rail without rail covers was about the same diameter as a DD Omega WITH rail covers.

Note DD also includes three rail covers which is a $30 or so value. The others do not.

I have been very impressed with the Troy products as well, and would consider their drop-in sytem as well, but it doesn't give my prefered uninterrupted top rail which the and DD do.

I'll give it to you that the MI is half the price of an Omega, but when compared to the DD EZ CAR the price difference is more like $20. If the DD EZ CAR includes rail covers like their other offerings I'd pick it hands down, plus I just like the guys at DD. If not it's about a toss up, and I'd probably still go with the DD because of the track record I've had with their products.

I think the MI is good stuff though and their products give a lot of the bigger names a run for their money in a lot of areas.

Stan9106
08-14-11, 19:55
The EZ CAR doesn't offer the QD swivel sockets like the MI, does it?

chapperjoe
02-07-13, 11:27
sorry for the thread resurrection - ow do these stabilize? do they clapm anywhere?
thanks

markm
02-07-13, 11:49
I think the MI is good stuff though and their products give a lot of the bigger names a run for their money in a lot of areas.

I just wish they could make rails the same dimension as the rest of the planet. It'd be nice to move something from a REAL rail to an MI rail and have the shit fit. :rolleyes:

Maybe they have this issue corrected on current products. :confused:

JBecker 72
02-07-13, 11:56
I just wish they could make rails the same dimension as the rest of the planet. It'd be nice to move something from a REAL rail to an MI rail and have the shit fit. :rolleyes:

Maybe they have this issue corrected on current products. :confused:

Nope, my gen 2 free float quad rail wouldn't fit shit on it. Switched it out for a Centurion C4 and never looked back.

WhiskyNiner
02-07-13, 13:06
I just bought one of the MI 7" on the way home from lunch while ago. I couldn't help myself and put it on as soon as I got home. The build isn't finished yet, and it's killin' me.

The MI was solid and light. Fit was a bit tight, being new and all. Tried to wiggle it but it didn't move. I have a Troy on the M&P and like it real well. The QD is nice to have. This MI looks just like the Troy but I'll get them both out side-by-side after work.

I got mine in the gold/tan. The finish looks very nice.

Stan9106
02-07-13, 15:44
sorry for the thread resurrection - ow do these stabilize? do they clapm anywhere?
thanks

They are retained by the delta ring just like the stock hand guards.

bruin
02-07-13, 16:37
As I understand it, MI had a bad batch where the specs did not account for anodizing. A couple people reported that MI had replaced their bad rails for free.

They make the only tube-style two-piece drop in that I'm aware of, and it's lighter than Magpul MOE. I wish more companies would make them, but free float is where the money's at nowadays.

JBecker 72
02-07-13, 17:24
As I understand it, MI had a bad batch where the specs did not account for anodizing. A couple people reported that MI had replaced their bad rails for free.

I had two rails from them made 3 years apart, both were out of spec. The first was a drop in carbine, the other a free float mid length gen 2.

WhiskyNiner
02-07-13, 18:06
After taking a good look at the Troy and MI together, I can see the Troy is more robust. It is also held together at the four underside corners with screws. The MI goes together well, and tight, but has no screws. The Troy rail is better made than the MI. It also moves less. The MI moves a tiny bit. I found nothing out of whack or any anodizing flaws on the MI.

The small movement won't affect iron sights since none sit on it, but couldn't say about other types at this time. That will have to wait for completion of the build and then trials with whatever 'lectric sight I put on it.