PDA

View Full Version : LMT MWS Optic

SperlingPE
08-12-11, 14:46
What would you put on an MWS?
Optic would be used with stock 16" barrel.
An 18" barrel may be added.
Gun would not be used in anything like cqb ranges.

VooDoo6Actual
08-12-11, 15:37
easy day,
imo, you will get some different answers no doubt.
I'm using a NF 2.5X20X32 on mine now that is superb.
I would rather use the Leupy 1.1X8 however.
The Leupy 1.1X8X24 CQBSS would be my first choice from the preliminary comparisons of S&B, Premier et al etc. You can pick one up in the $3,000-$3400.00+ range with cashola.
Mike @ C&S has always been good for me to deal with.
http://www.cstactical.com/

Here's another:
http://www.militarywarfighter.com/Leupold_110121_p/leupold-110121.htm

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1595765

There's some other links on M4C that a member here will find and reference I'm sure.
I would give both of those a serious look. The NF is approx half the cost or less depending on what deal you cut.
HTH...

Got to run to work to make the $ to buy one before the UN invasion. :happy:

Pappabear
08-12-11, 16:22
I have a Mark 4 3.5-10. It came with 308 and 300win mag knobs.
Very nice.

Shane45
08-12-11, 16:40
For non CQB I had a USO 1.8X10 mil/mil ffp on mine. I liked it A LOT!

Failure2Stop
08-13-11, 12:58
I really want to put my PR 1.1-8 on one.
But I want to use the weapon/optic from muzzle to 800 meters.
Remove the close-range requirement and I would probably go with a2.5-10X of some flavor or maybe a fixed 10X.
Then again, if I had no need for sub-200 meter rapid engagements I would probably not be using a semi-auto platform.

ALCOAR
08-13-11, 13:53

armakraut
08-13-11, 19:45
Getting my mws monday.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-VX-6-Riflescopes-C3457.aspx

Waiting on the 1-6x Leupold VX-6, supposedly a true 1-6x, with a better reticle it could be an awesome precision scope. Might get an IOR 1.5-8x26 in the mean time, heavy scope, but a good reticle, glass and power range.

Too bad NF doesn't offer the 2.5-10x24 to peons anymore.

JoshNC
08-14-11, 11:26
Getting my mws monday.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-VX-6-Riflescopes-C3457.aspx

Waiting on the 1-6x Leupold VX-6, supposedly a true 1-6x, with a better reticle it could be an awesome precision scope. Might get an IOR 1.5-8x26 in the mean time, heavy scope, but a good reticle, glass and power range.

Too bad NF doesn't offer the 2.5-10x24 to peons anymore.

That Leupy 1-6x looks promising. Any idea if the illuminated dot will be daylight visible on the 1x setting?

post tensioned
08-14-11, 12:53
That Leupy 1-6x looks promising. Any idea if the illuminated dot will be daylight visible on the 1x setting?

I usually don't like answering these type of questions if I don't KNOW the answer first hand, but this IS the internet, so what the hell... I would doubt that it would at the price point it is going to be. The VX-R's don't (should be the same tech in the 1-6x's), the MR/T's don't, the LR/T's don't. I think everything they have that fits into their standard scope bodies doesn't. I think the only things they make with daytime visible illumination are the H27 CQBSS, the Delta Point and the CQ/T.

Again, I could be wrong, but I'm highly doubtful.

Failure2Stop
08-14-11, 13:43
Not that I don't believe in the 1x-8/10x type glass just now coming out, however it's got to defy optics physic's in order to not be the most unforgiving glass at the higher ranges in power.

You are correct.
8X with the PR is not as forgiving as most fixed 10X optics of the same comparative quality, but my application is not long-range precision, but dominance of close to mid-range.

It takes effort and dedication to make a 7.62 rifle overlap a 5.56 carbine, not only in weight and recoil, but also to extend the capability of the carbine past what would be considered "normal" range. It is not a necessity, it is simply a theory I believe may turn out to be viable (though not necessarily inexpensive).

I am so far of the thought that the PR 1-8 is a bit much for a conventional AR, which I have spoken on in other threads. However, I think the weight and bulk expense would be worth it on a higher cailber weapon, and the monolithic top rail makes mounting the unconventionally laid-out optic a non-issue. High end glass for high end rifles to hopefully achieve superior result.

Please note that I have not yet purchased a 7.62 carbine, not because I am not committed to the concept, but because I want to ensure that if I am going to drop $2,500 on the platform I have to make it meet the mission as closely as possible. Tangent? Yes. Just explaining why I want to do it, not that anyone else ever should emulate my actions until it is proven. It comes down to my personal preference for 7.62 in general, but have not been able to find a 7.62 platform that comes close enough to 5.56 at close-range high speed application. The last couple of years now show a few viable platforms, but all have some varying degrees of failure. Maybe I will change my mind, maybe I won't.

post tensioned
08-14-11, 19:52
You are correct.
8X with the PR is not as forgiving as most fixed 10X optics of the same comparative quality, but my application is not long-range precision, but dominance of close to mid-range.

It takes effort and dedication to make a 7.62 rifle overlap a 5.56 carbine, not only in weight and recoil, but also to extend the capability of the carbine past what would be considered "normal" range. It is not a necessity, it is simply a theory I believe may turn out to be viable (though not necessarily inexpensive).

I am so far of the thought that the PR 1-8 is a bit much for a conventional AR, which I have spoken on in other threads. However, I think the weight and bulk expense would be worth it on a higher cailber weapon, and the monolithic top rail makes mounting the unconventionally laid-out optic a non-issue. High end glass for high end rifles to hopefully achieve superior result.

Please note that I have not yet purchased a 7.62 carbine, not because I am not committed to the concept, but because I want to ensure that if I am going to drop $2,500 on the platform I have to make it meet the mission as closely as possible. Tangent? Yes. Just explaining why I want to do it, not that anyone else ever should emulate my actions until it is proven. It comes down to my personal preference for 7.62 in general, but have not been able to find a 7.62 platform that comes close enough to 5.56 at close-range high speed application. The last couple of years now show a few viable platforms, but all have some varying degrees of failure. Maybe I will change my mind, maybe I won't.

As far as a "do it all 7.62 platform" I cast my vote towards the KAC EMC. Price notwithstanding, I have used it successfully in carbine/ CQB matches. Topped with a T-1, it is the lightest 7.62 platform out there and very controllable, and mind you I have only been shooting it with the flash hider, no brake. In the precision role, the gun is match grade accurate. I average less than 1 moa groups and with a 3-15 scope on it, I can make goods hits out to 1000 yards.

My biggest obstacle is finding the right glass to take advantage of the range of capabilities. Which to me is the same question with the LMT MWS. It all depends on your application; for me and my EMC, I want to run carbine comps and precision rifle comps with one gun and hopefully ONE optic. I am very interested in the PR 1.1-8 or the soon to be made PR 1-8, but in the mean time, I am probably going to pick up the Swarovski Z6i. The biggest down side is the BRT reticle is limited to 600 yards, but for my application, I can make it work until something better comes along.

SperlingPE
08-15-11, 12:47
I am surely not in the same league here as the knowledgeable responses have shown me. Hence my original question.

Plus/minus of the ACOG 6x48?
Leupold MRT?

Failure2Stop
08-15-11, 13:24
I am surely not in the same league here as the knowledgeable responses have shown me. Hence my original question.

Plus/minus of the ACOG 6x48?
Leupold MRT?

The 6X ACOGs are bricks, expensive, and do not lend themselves to precision.
The Leupy "MRT" covers a lot of different models, and really they aren't all that impressive.

What is your budget and application?

ALCOAR
08-15-11, 15:12

duece71
08-19-11, 20:52
I just ordered the NF 2.5-10x 32 with a Larue mount for mine. Decided the LMT MWS was lonely without it. I can't wait to get it set up.

Tzoid
08-21-11, 14:26
My LMT .308 MWS has had a variety of optics since I bought it 6 months ago.

Started with a Leupold MK4 1.5-5X20 M/RT reticle.. ok but I felt the reticle was too slow. Sold it

Aimpoint T-1 - That was short lived and the T-1 went on a new 12.5 SBR :D

NightForce NSX 1-4X24 FC-2 reticle. Much faster than the Leupold but I decided that a .308 as a CQB rifle was not what I want so I moved the 1-4x24 to a new BCM 16" Middy for 3 gun type use.

Now I just purchased a Night Force 2.5-10x 32 with NP-R2 reticle and so far I like it...

I exclusively use LaRue mounts.

Winnerkd
08-24-11, 21:38
I purchased a SWFA SS 3-9x via the group buy. It came with everything for 599.00. I really like it, in fact, I like it so much a few months later I purchased one for my LRB M14. It's a good all around scope. Now, I don't know if I'd take it into combat, but for range use it's served me very well.