PDA

View Full Version : AK-BFS to standard triangle folder?

poak
08-12-11, 16:01
Seems its getting harder and harder to find a triangle side folder these days, but several places have the cheesy extended block version that's meant to be installed without removing the tang from a receiver:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/images/bfs_lg.jpg

So, has anyone ever heard of someone acquiring the extended block version and cannibalizing it to create a standard side folder? Seems like everything except the rear trunion is there...

Pirate EC
08-12-11, 20:39
I've had that exact same thought too. I'm very interested to hear an answer on this.

Peshawar
08-13-11, 03:56
There was a thread about this on the AK forum. Honestly, if you are considering this stock this as some sort of cool guy pseudo-AKS type folder, without the gunsmithing.... it's just gay. Don't bother.

Stop.

BUT, if you can find the parts and/or the balls to do it yourself, it can be pretty fun. Cutting receivers is a skill that takes the willingness to waste money because of a Homer Simpson mistake.

It's the nature of the beast.

I would ask this question in the BIY section on the AK forum. I have done this mod, and it's just ****ing hard.

Good luck,
S.

Toyoland66
08-13-11, 06:29
There was a thread about this on the AK forum. Honestly, if you are considering this stock this as some sort of cool guy pseudo-AKS type folder, without the gunsmithing.... it's just gay. Don't bother.

Stop.

BUT, if you can find the parts and/or the balls to do it yourself, it can be pretty fun. Cutting receivers is a skill that takes the willingness to waste money because of a Homer Simpson mistake.

It's the nature of the beast.

I would ask this question in the BIY section on the AK forum. I have done this mod, and it's just ****ing hard.

Good luck,
S.

I think you need to re-read the OP

Peshawar
08-13-11, 13:27
I think you need to re-read the OP

I read it again. You need to shut the **** up. I have actually done the mod to a receiver. He's honestly asking if such a mod is worth trying. It's NOT, unless you have money to burn or are pretty ****ing handy on your own. And that's that.

Toyoland66
08-13-11, 15:38
Didn't mean to piss in your cheerios there fella.

I should have elaborated more, my bad the tone of my post wasn't good.

OP asked if the conversion folder parts are compatible with the standard folding parts. No mention made of converting a fixed stock rifle into a folder. Converting a polymer folder into a triangle folder is a pretty common mod.

You are correct that converting a fixed stock rifle into a folder involves a lot more work than most people realize.

Peshawar
08-13-11, 15:43
Hey, I'm sorry if I was a dick. It's just a really difficult mod, that needs a lot of thought, and not a lot of the Bubbah shit.

It's real, it's good, but it's ****ing hard. Sorry to make it shitty with my bad attitude. It's possible, but you'll have to earn it.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/2014/dsc09259f.jpg

poak
08-13-11, 18:59
Hey, I'm sorry if I was a dick. It's just a really difficult mod, that needs a lot of thought, and not a lot of the Bubbah shit.

It's real, it's good, but it's ****ing hard. Sorry to make it shitty with my bad attitude. It's possible, but you'll have to earn it.

Thanks for the response.

I'm direct on it being a major PITA to mod the receiver, and I've got no desire to do that myself. Sounds like a job for Troy Sellars or Jim Fuller...

So when you did the triangle conversion, you used the extended block version to source your parts?

Anchor Zero Six
08-13-11, 21:27
Problem I see with canabalizing the parts is that you will still need more parts. You will need rivets, trunnion and the front latch parts.

Seldom do you find bits and pieces of the folding stocks parts individual.

My suggestion is contact DSA Arms they had the full parts kit and I think few think to look there so they may have them or wait till Kvar has them in stock again. Since this wont be a diy project try calling they guys you plan to do the work for you and see if they have the parts already. Would feel stoopid if I hunted for months only to find out my smith was sitting on a stock pile...actually that has happened to me before.

Peshawar
08-13-11, 21:39
So when you did the triangle conversion, you used the extended block version to source your parts?

No. I was fortunate enough to happen across a package of an original Izzy stock with trunnion. I still had to file the trunnion "arms" to allow the carrier to work properly. Some trunnions have the relief cut for the firing pin (spring loaded in these, of course) so that when the carrier cycles back the pin isn't beat to shit.

http://www.rguns.net/gunparts/rifle-parts-AK.shtml

I got very lucky. What I would do, if I wanted to build a sidefolder, is buy a Russian Tula krink kit, and then sell off any crap that you won't be using. The top covers and gas blocks can go a long way towards making back the initial investment. Then use those parts to either mod an Arsenal or build a new gun. That's what I would do, YMMV, and good luck. :)