PDA

View Full Version : New buyer

wwright521
08-12-11, 23:25
I am a new buyer to handguns but not shooting them. I am looking into purchasing a glock 17. Just looking for any suggestions for me. OR any better handguns for glock prices. Thanks.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-12-11, 23:31
What do YOU need out of a handgun?

wwright521
08-12-11, 23:40
Right now just home defense and really getting in tune with my skills and making my self better.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-12-11, 23:47
The 17 is a fine weapon for those purposes. Im partial to the 19, but if you like the 17 then go with it. If you ever make it up near Pendleton, hit me up and you can shoot my 19 or 26.

wwright521
08-12-11, 23:49
Well I have never shot the 19 before, but I have shot the 17. I have heard the 19 shoots a little smoother? And that would be cool to get up there shoot sometime.

Steve S.
08-13-11, 01:25
I find the 19 easier to shoot then the 17. Not sure why though.

Irregardless, I think you'd be better served by the 19 in case you decide to get your concealed pistol license. On paper the differences seem slight but it's a world of difference for carrying.

I think that's what LSHD was getting at. I'd take him up on his offer though. Very generous.

dookie1481
08-13-11, 10:31
Since you're in CA, I assume a CCW isn't in the near future. If you plan on moving somewhere that issues CCW permits, I would suggest a G19, if not, the G17 is a great choice as well.

wwright521
08-13-11, 10:46
To Steve- That's what I have heard about the 19 and that would make sense to get the more compact one seeing I may carry concealed. Thanks for the advise. To Dookie- I am just in Ca temporarily and will be moving back to NC soon.

Beat Trash
08-13-11, 11:26
If you're at 29 stumps, I assume you are a Marine?

I think the Glock LEO pricing applies to military as well. Might want to check on that. The discount is substantial.

I like the Glock 17, but I love the Glock 19. It's a great "one gun for all purposes" weapon. Since you are moving back to North Carolina, I'd go with the Glock 19 for the concealment advantage.

One other gun to consider is the S&W M&P 9mm.

dookie1481
08-13-11, 11:49
To Steve- That's what I have heard about the 19 and that would make sense to get the more compact one seeing I may carry concealed. Thanks for the advise. To Dookie- I am just in Ca temporarily and will be moving back to NC soon.

Lejeune, or NC in general?

KhanRad
08-13-11, 12:08
17 or 19.....you can't go wrong with either. I'd go for a generation 3 model though.

nobody knows
08-13-11, 13:19
I have a g19 and its a great pistol. I have shot a few g17's they are nice just a little on the big side for me and what I want to do with a pistole. But if your an average to large size guy you should be able to conceal a 17 Just fine. And if I could get away with concealing a g17 that's what I'd have.

ra2bach
08-13-11, 13:54
carry or service (HD, training, etc...)?

19 for carry, 17 for service...

tremor64
08-13-11, 15:24
glock 19 - best all-around

wwright521
08-13-11, 19:08
Lejeune, or NC in general?

NC in general. That's where I am from.

And to beat trash- I have shot the S&W and I just didn't really like the feel of it in the hand. Thanks for the advise though. That's what I originally was looking into.

wwright521
08-13-11, 19:09
It seems like the 19 is the handgun to go to. Thanks for the advise guys. Would like to get my hand on one to shoot though?

GeorgiaBoy
08-13-11, 22:30
Another vote for a 19. Just for added measure. ;)

eo500
08-13-11, 22:46
You can't beat the Gen 3 19 imho. Take advantage of the LEO discount, or you could join the GSSF if you don't qualify. You get a great price and an extra mag.

wwright521
08-13-11, 23:39
To e0500- They give the LEO price to military as well?

RagweedZulu
08-13-11, 23:42
Military DOES qualify for blue label pricing, same as LE.

And surprise, California has quite a few clear thinking locations that DO issue CCW permits. For those not familiar with life behind the granola curtain, only the LA and San Francisco areas are heavily liberal/communist. The greater central San Joaquin Valley is staunch conservative and most counties I'm aware of in the area issue permits with lite hassle. Best part is that these permits are good all over the state. So when a guy travels to San Francisigrad, he can go there armed. Before I was LE, I had a permit and it allowed 3 pistols. I hear they allow more now. We might live in the worst place in the US, but not everyplace here is nutty beyond hope.

wwright521
08-13-11, 23:45
Okay that's good to hear. And I am not going to be Ca to much longer. So I would probably just my CCW permit in my home state. But thanks for the good advise.

Guns-up.50
08-13-11, 23:55
Okay that's good to hear. And I am not going to be Ca to much longer. So I would probably just my CCW permit in my home state. But thanks for the good advise.

I have two 17s and a 19 love them both. The 17 is duty gun the 19 is a better all around small enough to carry big enough to take to the range and shoot comfortably

eo500
08-14-11, 00:08
To e0500- They give the LEO price to military as well?

Yep, here is the list that qualifies for the "First Responder Discount"

AUTHORIZED LEO/BLUE LABELED PISTOL CUSTOMER LIST:
*All sworn Law Enforcement Officers (LEO) State, County and City

*All Federal Law Enforcement Officers (LEO) FBI, US Marshals, DEA etc

*All Corrections Officers, including Parole and Probation officers

*All Retired LEO with “retired” credentials including Federal, State, County & City

*All Law Enforcement agency employees w/ID (dispatchers, jailers, staff)

*State Licensed Security Companies (ie. Loomis Fargo, RAM, Securitas, etc)

*State/City licensed Security Officers

*Active Military personnel-all branches w/ID

*National Guard personnel-all branches w/ID

*Military Reserve personnel-all branches w/ID

*Legitimately retired military with “retired” military ID (regardless of branch)

*All TSA employees

*Emergency Management personal w/ID (Office of Emergency Mgmt – National, State & Local)

*Licensed Para-Medics and EMT’s

*Fire Fighters (including volunteers) with appropriate ID

*Commercial Pilot license holders & Federal Flight Deck Officers

*Court Judges/District Attorneys and Deputy District Attorneys

JonInWA
08-14-11, 07:56
I've had excellent results with both my G17 and G19. Either are very easy to carry concealed-the larger G17 is about the same size as a 1911 Commander (albeit a tad thicker).

Because of the lower receiver profile differences (the G17 has a more pronounced rear hump) they index a bit differently; it's worthwhile for you to try both out before making your decision.

Complicating the issue is the comparison between Gen 3 and Gen4 guns. I'd recommend a Gen 3 G19, but the Gen4 G17 might provide you with the best of both worlds due to it's adjustable rear profile, via differing backstraps-again, compare and see what works best for you.

Best, Jon

lawusmc0844
08-14-11, 10:48
I purchased two Glock 19s, one for myself and one for my dad, at a Glock LE dealer in San Diego 2 years ago so yes the discount does apply to military too.

RagweedZulu, PM sent.

Beat Trash
08-14-11, 12:25
I have shot the S&W and I just didn't really like the feel of it in the hand. Thanks for the advise though. That's what I originally was looking into.

In that case, it's simple. Get a Gen3 Glock 19. I'd suggest you call around and locate a dealer that has the blue label LEO guns and utilize the Military/LE discount.

If I had to dispose of all of my guns except for one, I'd be left with my Glock 19.

wwright521
08-14-11, 13:14
How much around the ballpark do you think I can get for the LEO discount? I am leaning more towards to the G19 Gen 3 sense I am going to be using for home defense and CCW. I just want to get my hands on one. Does the G19 and G17 have about the same feel in your hand?

brushy bill
08-14-11, 15:03
How much around the ballpark do you think I can get for the LEO discount? I am leaning more towards to the G19 Gen 3 sense I am going to be using for home defense and CCW. I just want to get my hands on one. Does the G19 and G17 have about the same feel in your hand?

Between $398.20 and $419 pre-tax with the plastic sights. Here's a couple of links.

http://www.durysguns.com/general/leglock

https://shop.ombguns.com/t-glockblowout-le-officer.aspx

wwright521
08-14-11, 16:14
Between $398.20 and $419 pre-tax with the plastic sights. Here's a couple of links.

http://www.durysguns.com/general/leglock

https://shop.ombguns.com/t-glockblowout-le-officer.aspx

Thanks, that helps out a lot. And these DO work for military Correct?

brushy bill
08-14-11, 16:29
Thanks, that helps out a lot. And these DO work for military Correct?

affirmative

Abraxas
08-14-11, 16:49
life behind the granola curtain,

:haha:I am going to steal that.

To the OP I prefer the 17 but the 19 is just as good in some respects and better in others.

wwright521
08-14-11, 17:52
affirmative

OK cool thanks.

wwright521
08-14-11, 17:52
:haha:I am going to steal that.

To the OP I prefer the 17 but the 19 is just as good in some respects and better in others.

To the two weapons have close to the same feel in your hand? Or is there a considerable difference?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-14-11, 22:49
There is a difference. In the end, you need to hold and possibly shoot both to decide. We cant decide for you and weve provided plenty of evidence to help you out.

Steve S.
08-15-11, 01:59
There is a difference. In the end, you need to hold and possibly shoot both to decide. We cant decide for you and weve provided plenty of evidence to help you out.

^^ This. ^^

Then get a nice holster, a solid gun belt, at least 3 more mags, and consider if night sights or a weapon mounted light fit your needs.

I also think everyone would benefit from buying snap caps. They give you a truer sense of the striker breaking when dry firing. And you can practice malfunction drills. After the $10 initial purchase price - they cost nothing and are a great training aid.

Pick something then shoot the snot out of it. It's easy to fall into the trap of over analyzing whether you made the right choice or not.

Stay safe, sir.