PDA

View Full Version : ACOG accuracy

Nobody_Special
08-13-11, 09:26
I haven't been to the 100 yard range in quite some time. I have a TA31 HG that I've had for a while and other than zeroing it I never shot for groups. I've hit steel out to 200 yards with it for the instant gratification. I know an ACOG is not a precision optic but I'm curious to what people average for groupings and how mine compare. Here's mine

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa62/murf214/eef5ebaf.jpg

I did this leaning on a bench (couldn't go prone) supporting the rifle with just my hands using 55 grain PMC bronze. The AR is a 14.5" BCM mid length. The orange circle is 2" in diameter and the grouping is about 3". Is this acceptable? Thanks.

mkmckinley
08-13-11, 09:36
I don't think it's the optic. My WAG is that your cheek weld was inconsistent.

Failure2Stop
08-13-11, 12:19
3 MOA is within the acceptable accuracy standard of service-grade components.
Don't get wrapped up in group size unless you are going to do dedicated precision work or precision evaluation from a rest.

The most important thing is that you can hit what you need to hit at the maximum distance you could reasonably need. For me, with an M4 pattern rifle and low cost ammo, it's 12" at 300. It can, and has, done better, but that's the precision standard I expect.

opmike
08-13-11, 14:09
I'm not sure what you mean by "ACOG accuracy."

Assuming a given optic holds zero and doesn't have a monster reticule, the biggest variables are going to be the shooter, the rifle, and the ammo.

55 grain PMC out of a 1/7 barrel isn't exactly a precision pairing. Your target is fine.

ra2bach
08-13-11, 14:20
this was a test was the rifle, ammo, and you, not the optic..

Stangman
08-13-11, 14:26
I've not measured my 100yd groupings, but they stay nice & tight at that range, definitely sub 3". I can ring idpa sized steel targets consistently all the way out to 600. For the intended purpose of that rifle I'm not going to be shooting that far normally, so I'm more than happy with it.

The model I have is the TA01NSN & shooting mainly PMC & handloads

Nobody_Special
08-13-11, 14:43

This being the greatest variable. I know I have plenty of room to improve.

I've not measured my 100yd groupings, but they stay nice & tight at that range, definitely sub 3". I can ring idpa sized steel targets consistently all the way out to 600. For the intended purpose of that rifle I'm not going to be shooting that far normally, so I'm more than happy with it.

The model I have is the TA01NSN & shooting mainly PMC & handloads

I figured it could be better (which is why I posted).

bp7178
08-13-11, 15:58
using 55 grain PMC bronze.

Barrel, optic and ammo.

Try some of the 75gr Hornady loads or 77gr SMK.

The 50gr VMAX BH load is very accurate inside of 100 yards.

That group is typical of 55gr PMC ammo when shooting 10 round groups. I wouldn't sweat a 3moa group using PMC at all.

I mentioned it in another thread; the Hornady Steel Match ammo. Same bullet and powder as their brass cased 75gr load but uses a steel case, and is meant for competition shooters. About $21 for 50 rounds.

Nobody_Special
08-13-11, 16:58
the Hornady Steel Match ammo. Same bullet and powder as their brass cased 75gr load but uses a steel case, and is meant for competition shooters. About $21 for 50 rounds.

I'll give these a try

---
- Sent from my brain using Tapatalk

Sensei
08-13-11, 18:49

Agreed. Bench the rifle with some premium ammo and you will get a better estimation of the optic and rifles capability.

I get about 2" ten shot groups when I bench my 20" SDM clone (mainly BCM build, 1:8 twist, with TA31F) with Hornady TAP T2, SSA 77 grain OTM, or BH 77 grain OTM. This is more than enough precision for the build's purpose.

Alaskapopo
08-13-11, 18:50
You can shoot very small groups with an ACOG or iron sight for that matter. Shooting small groups is a function of how well stabalized you have the firearm, trigger control, accuracy of the weapon, accuracy of the shooter, accuracy of the ammo, Etc. If you put an ACOG on a .5 moa rifle you will get.5 moa groups. A lot of people think an optic makes the rifle more accurate or makes you shoot better. This is false. An optic helps you to see your target better. Granted the better you can see the target the better you can shoot it. However being able to see it better will not make up for other fundamentals.
Pat

kcksbull
08-13-11, 21:01
Most rifle/optic combo's (given decent quality equipment) are capable of far more accuracy than average shooters can shoot them. I ... am an average shooter.

Hope you enjoy your ACOG. I use a TA31F- RMR that is capable of far more than I can give it but I have learned a lot and gained a lot of confidence in my abilities while using that optic.