PDA

View Full Version : Eye Pro with transitioning lens?

Vegas
08-13-11, 13:00
Are there any manufacturers out there that make eye pro with a transitioning lens? Is this is even worth bothering with or should I just get a separate set for shooting in bright light?

Thanks for any input provided.

Pax
08-13-11, 13:05
Yes. And they get lost and destroyed as easily as any other pair of glasses. Im not going to tell you what to do with your money, just dont complain if they are lost or destroyed and youve just wasted $100+ on now useless eyepro. The cheap Brownings at your local fudd gun shop work just fine. Certainly not as tacticool as Revision, Wiley X, Oakley, ESS, etc. But cheap and effective.

Vegas
08-13-11, 13:14
Yes. And they get lost and destroyed as easily as any other pair of glasses. Im not going to tell you what to do with your money, just dont complain if they are lost or destroyed and youve just wasted $100+ on now useless eyepro. The cheap Brownings at your local fudd gun shop work just fine. Certainly not as tacticool as Revision, Wiley X, Oakley, ESS, etc. But cheap and effective.

Actually, inexpensive is better for the very reasons you state. I don't want a case popping off the lens of my more expensive sunglasses that I wear everyday, impact resistant or not. The cheapo fudd shop clear eye pro is what I have now but I was looking to get something a little better and if I could get a transitioning lens into the bargain then great. If the price point is only north of $100 then I probably won't bother and just buy two pairs of intermediately priced glasses, one for sun and the other clear.

Thanks.

Steve S.
08-13-11, 13:38
http://tapatalk.com/mu/452fc624-c24b-84ab.jpg

If you're good at not losing stuff and have the coin, Rudy Project Eyewear is pretty unmatched. I wouldn't worry about breaking them. The frame is high strength polymers and metals, and the lenses are made from the same technology as Apache windshields. You can literally bend the lens, touch each end together, and it goes right back to it's original shape.

I look at eyepro like rifle scopes. Many of the $1k scopes will get the same job done as the $4k+ offerings. The differences are in the details, durability, and lens quality. I wear a pair of Rudy's everyday at work- and I often forget they are even on. The lenses are so clear they are nearly non-existent as far as the eye is concerned. RX lens capability may play a role in choosing eyepro.

Here's a pic I have onhand. It kind of shows the lens starting to transition under regular indoor lighting (ceiling fan - 60 watt bulbs). It's very subtle when they transition and I often have to take them off and look at the lenses to even notice.

Here's just an example of the high end of the spectrum. All of my lower end eyepro is non-transitioning so I can't speak too much there.

Hope this helps.

ra2bach
08-13-11, 14:23
I use some and they work well. if you are prone to losing, scratching, breaking stuff, well... that's you...

Vegas
08-13-11, 14:41
http://tapatalk.com/mu/452fc624-c24b-84ab.jpg

If you're good at not losing stuff and have the coin, Rudy Project Eyewear is pretty unmatched. I wouldn't worry about breaking them. The frame is high strength polymers and metals, and the lenses are made from the same technology as Apache windshields. You can literally bend the lens, touch each end together, and it goes right back to it's original shape.

I look at eyepro like rifle scopes. Many of the $1k scopes will get the same job done as the $4k+ offerings. The differences are in the details, durability, and lens quality. I wear a pair of Rudy's everyday at work- and I often forget they are even on. The lenses are so clear they are nearly non-existent as far as the eye is concerned. RX lens capability may play a role in choosing eyepro.

Here's a pic I have onhand. It kind of shows the lens starting to transition under regular indoor lighting (ceiling fan - 60 watt bulbs). It's very subtle when they transition and I often have to take them off and look at the lenses to even notice.

Here's just an example of the high end of the spectrum. All of my lower end eyepro is non-transitioning so I can't speak too much there.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the insight. Those do go up in price pretty quickly but they have some decent styles. I might have to see if I can find them locally to check out. If I end up getting something that I can use for everyday plus cycling and shooting then I don't mind dropping more cash. If they are just for shooting then I would like to stay under the $100 I mentioned earlier.

I haven't lost a pair of sunglasses since I left my Persol's in Miami airport about 12 years ago. Still pains me now :mad: Hope I just didn't jinx myself!

Thanks.

LOKNLOD
08-13-11, 15:36
For something that falls between the Rudy P's and the end-cap at Fuddmart, Revision makes the Hellfly model with a photochromatic lens as well. I haven't used them so I can't comment on specifics.

Vegas
08-13-11, 21:20
For something that falls between the Rudy P's and the end-cap at Fuddmart, Revision makes the Hellfly model with a photochromatic lens as well. I haven't used them so I can't comment on specifics.

The Hellflys definitely look good. Those are an option, thanks.

R0N
08-14-11, 03:16
I got a pair of the Oakley transitions lens half jackets in AFG, the only problem is they won't transition if you are in a vehicle or wearing a hat with brim that blocks direct exposure of the lens to the light.

My girlfriend had a similar problem with Wiley X light adjusting lenses. She had to replace them with normal sunglasses because they just wouldn't change in bright sunlight with her cover on.

Vegas
08-14-11, 03:20
I got a pair of the Oakley transitions lens half jackets in AFG, the only problem is they won't transition if you are in a vehicle or wearing a hat with brim that blocks direct exposure of the lens to the light.

My girlfriend had a similar problem with Wiley X light adjusting lenses. She had to replace them with normal sunglasses because they just wouldn't change in bright sunlight with her cover on.

Interesting. I thought it was about the brightness of the light being taken in by lens not the light hitting it directly. Could be problematic for the ball cap wearing days. Thanks for that tip.

Spiffums
08-14-11, 10:30
I have 2 pairs of glasses now. A new pair that has no coats or extras that are just to get me from the bed to the bathroom to put in my contacts and maybe an hour or so at night. I use my old glasses with all the extra coatings and transition lens for when I work outside or run a saw and don't wear my contacts.

I said all that to say this, if your not used to wearing them you will feel like your wearing sunglasses in the house till they lighten. If its something you will wear all the time like a solider or a cop it might be worth it but just for gun range stuff I would just have 2 pairs of glasses.

glocktogo
08-14-11, 10:49
I needed monovision Rx shooting glasses, so I had the local eyeglass store make up a pair with impact resistant transitions lenses, with anti-reflection and anti-scratch coatings in titanium frames. Cost me a couple hundred, but I've been using them for 4 years now with excellent results.

JSantoro
08-15-11, 09:07
3M/Aero/Peltor supposedly has transitional lenses in this series: http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Tactical-Eyewear-Polarized-40181-00000-10/dp/B0048H462E

I got handed a pair of those exact ones, solid grey lenses though, in May. I have the contact info for that dude somewhere, so I'll ping him for more gouge.

I like these glasses, for the most part. Pretty fog resistant all by themselves, good polarization, no distortion I can detect, the temples don't press in to my skull under eye pro. Only thing I don't like is that the temples are kinda slick; they depend upon spring tension at the hinges to stay on, so if I have them pushed up on my head, they're prone to fall off in sudden movement. No issue on top of a ball cap, but they could do to put some sort of grip material on the temples, I think.

d90king
08-15-11, 09:24
Rudy Project would be my recommendation after having had a chance to check them out. When I decide to replace my REVO's I will be going with a set of Rudy's...

threeheadeddog
08-18-11, 20:07
I had a pair of Wiley X's. They were all but worthless in a vehicle and I didnt seem to do all that well out doors either. I bought them so I could have eyepro that would work both in the day and at dusk. I found them do really only do well in an overcast day.

C4IGrant
08-18-11, 20:10
Rudy Project.

C4

CoryCop25
08-18-11, 20:16
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=86286

bulbvivid
08-18-11, 20:46
I have the RP Genetyk kit, which comes with a regular lens in addition to two photochromic lenses. Well worth the money. If you're looking for something to serve on the range and the street, look at some of the other frames. There's a coupon code for a hefty discount on Vickers's site. With the code, you can get Rydon frames and two sets of photochromic lenses (or regular lenses) for around $150. You should at least contact their rep through M4C and see what might work for you before you buy anything else.

I had a pair of Wiley X's. They were all but worthless in a vehicle and I didnt seem to do all that well out doors either. I bought them so I could have eyepro that would work both in the day and at dusk. I found them do really only do well in an overcast day.

If I'm not mistaken, photochromic lenses react to UV, and auto windshields filter UV, so they don't work so well in cars.

Rob Haught
08-18-11, 21:29
Having used just about every brand out there over a long shooting career, I was skeptical about the Rudy Projects. After using a pair this summer I am blown away by the quality of the lenses. Everything seems sharper and I can see my front sight again! They are so light you don't know you are wearing them. The transition lenses work very well. I would give them a try.

Rob

Surf
08-18-11, 22:37
Having used just about every brand out there over a long shooting career, I was skeptical about the Rudy Projects. After using a pair this summer I am blown away by the quality of the lenses. Everything seems sharper and I can see my front sight again! They are so light you don't know you are wearing them. The transition lenses work very well. I would give them a try.

RobThese are my exact sentiments. I thought there was no way I would pay the price for the Rudy P glasses. However when I found out about their amazing LE pricing I was all over a set. They are amazingly sharp and clear with zero distortion near the edges. You really need to put a pair on to see it. Cleaned up my slightly older guy eye sight!

I am on a range 3-4 days per week and I really appreciate a good set of shooting glasses. I don't have any of the transitional lenses, I have the Noyz shooting glasses set with the photo red, clear and black lenses. The photochromatic red are my favorite all around lens.

deadlyfire
08-19-11, 22:26
Definitely depends on what your doing.
I have lost Oakleys while in contact with the enemy, had lenses scratch up, so I stick to the economical ESS Crossbows. If you don't lose/destroy stuff often I say go for it.

Vegas
08-22-11, 00:28
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=86286

Nice write up and pics, thanks. Seems like Rudy Project have a good following here.

CoryCop25
08-23-11, 14:08
Nice write up and pics, thanks. Seems like Rudy Project have a good following here.

Thank you very much.
I did the writeup on my own, no influence from Rudy Project other than their CS.