PDA

View Full Version : 16"/Carbine Bayonets?

ChileRelleno
08-13-11, 14:09
I'm looking for a reasonably priced bayonet, for my carbine length/16" barrel.
This may be a wild goose chase.

I know that the standard M7/M9 bayonets do not fit these, as the length is too long between mount/muzzle.
They fit the 14.5"/carbine, 16"/Middy & rifles.

Requires a modified or specially made bayonet, i.e. spacer block & lengthened tang.

Colt made some for their carbines, but I only know one place to get them and they are (IMO) exorbitantly expensive at $199.95.
http://prebanarms.com/detail.asp?product_id=a03

Anyone know of any others?

jhs1969
08-13-11, 23:13
Why on earth would you
1. Want one
2. Ever mount it
?

DemonRat
08-13-11, 23:25
They make a clamp on the barrel bayonet lug plus you can just buy a regular bayonet for the AR-15. Pm me and I will tell you the website I know there on. Don't want to post this site here and get laughed at for knowing it.

Pappabear
08-14-11, 13:04
Zero Tolerance makes one, not cheap but very nice. I remember looking at and thinking, "how ****in stupid", anyway it's pretty nice:D

Never actually tried to put it on a gun.

MistWolf
08-14-11, 13:12
Why on earth would you
1. Want one
2. Ever mount it
?

Because it sends into hysterics those who tell me I shouldn't be allowed to.

The 16" middie is the right length to properly mount a bayonet. That's why Armalite developed it. Or if your 16" has a carbine length gas system, cut the barrel down to 14.5" and pin the flash suppressor

GeorgiaBoy
08-14-11, 15:09
Is it just me, or does this thread seem like it should be something seen on TOS and not here?

Abraxas
08-14-11, 15:16
I'm looking for a reasonably priced bayonet, for my carbine length/16" barrel.
This may be a wild goose chase.

I know that the standard M7/M9 bayonets do not fit these, as the length is too long between mount/muzzle.
They fit the 14.5"/carbine, 16"/Middy & rifles.

Requires a modified or specially made bayonet, i.e. spacer block & lengthened tang.

Colt made some for their carbines, but I only know one place to get them and they are (IMO) exorbitantly expensive at $199.95.
http://prebanarms.com/detail.asp?product_id=a03

Anyone know of any others? It is your money but I never used my bayo in the Marines for anything other than to open mre's and throw when I was bored. Than includes combat

polymorpheous
08-14-11, 15:49
Why on earth would you
1. Want one
2. Ever mount it
?

Something I've been trying to tell my brother.
He wants one because he couldn't have one in Iraq.
That's his only rational.
:rolleyes:

товарищ
08-14-11, 16:46
Some of you are great at not answering questions. Maybe he wants to use a bayonet because... he can? It's an AR-15 related question.

They make a clamp on the barrel bayonet lug plus you can just buy a regular bayonet for the AR-15. Pm me and I will tell you the website I know there on. Don't want to post this site here and get laughed at for knowing it.

Do you mean DPMS or CMMG for a clamp lug? Just list it. It's either this, a different upper configuration or a $200 bayonet.

jhs1969
08-14-11, 17:56
Is it just me, or does this thread seem like it should be something seen on TOS and not here?

Exactly.

However I'm not trying to be an ass about it but if the OP is into collecting militeria that is OK by me. But I would recommend an actual mil issued bayonet. As far as use of a bayonet mounted on my carbine.....well, I can't think of one. A spear would be more useful, I would not want to risk damage to one of my carbines by an over zealous bayonet charge. My primary response would be to service a threat with my carbine using 5.56 fodder, next choice would be to use my Glock. There was a time in my life, several years ago, that any and all military gear was "cool" to me and I would jump at the chance to aquire any such gear. Those days are long past for me now, any and all gear decisions are addressed with the thought of "how would it serve me?", and not with an eye to some hollywood type of fantasy.

I recenty started a thread in the gear section asking about the new USMC bayonets, my question was for it's use as a tough field blade. I was quickly given very good advice of it's shortcomings in such a use and that there were much better choices to cover such uses. Last weekend as my wife and I were digging out some packed away housewares from our move late last year I came across an old M9 bayonet that I had forgot I even had. Guess what......those guys were right. I would hate to lug that big, heavy SOB into the field with me. I mounted on my 14.5 carbine.....took a look at it, thought to myself.....WTF?......took it off, packed it back up and marched it back up stairs for another 20 years of storage. I'm a bit of a knife junkie but I still could not justify it's purchase. Here is a link to said thread;

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=85573

For those of you feel it's a good decision "because you can" probably should look into TOS. For collection and photo op sessions we have a Vintage AR section you should check out. This site is filled with some of the most professional individuals I've ever had the honor to correspond with, take their advice seriously and learn from them. If you find that you "know better", feel free to press on. Either way, OP, it's your money, your choice. Whatever your decision, be safe and good luck.

MistWolf
08-14-11, 20:17
...For those of you feel it's a good decision "because you can" probably should look into TOS...

Never claimed every decision that I can make is good one

jhs1969
08-14-11, 20:41
Never claimed every decision that I can make is good one

Oh I completely understand, I've made plenty of the bad ones before. If it worries the left wingers I say lets all go buy a bayonet:haha: