PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting rid og g19 for M&P9

rickp
08-13-11, 15:57
Hey guys,
I'm really on the fence about getting rid of my G19 3rd Gen for a M&P 9mm. The only issue is I ahve a butt load of support gear for the 19 including like 15 or so brand new mags. To top it off, I'm left handed so getting rid of holsters is almost futile.
my only other option is to just get the M&P and hold on to the G19.

What do you guys think, should I try and sell everything or should I get the M&P as an addition.

BTW, my other platform is a M&P .45. regardless of that I have to have at least 1 9mm for those few occasions when I do armed work. The state says the biggest caliber is a 9mm one can carry.

R.

RagweedZulu
08-13-11, 16:05
What the hell kinda job do you have that mandates 9mm as the biggest round you can carry?

rickp
08-13-11, 16:16
PSD within the state

jeremy45
08-13-11, 16:25
I have actually been considering the same move. I would like to have a 9mm and a 45acp on the same platform and I do not really care for the Glock 45acp pistols. Also, I like the thumb safety option on the M&P's as well.

I do however shoot my 19 really well and am having trouble leaving it.

Can I ask what has you wanting to switch to the M&P?

Jeremy45

spamsammich
08-13-11, 16:29
I'm having a tough time letting go of my G19. I shoot a FS M&P9 with a full DCAEK almost exclusively now and could really use the money a nicely equipped 3gen G19 could bring. But there is just something about the Glock that makes me keep it. If you can afford it, just get the M&P too. Make absolutely sure that it is a recent build so you're assured of getting the latest trigger bar, sear housing block, and sear spring for increased reliability.

brushy bill
08-13-11, 17:07
My recommendation is keep the G19. With few exceptions, I've regretted every gun I've sold. With the "issues" current Glocks are experiencing, I'd stick with a known quantity and you have a nice amount of support eqpt for your existing pistol.

Mauser KAR98K
08-13-11, 17:09
Rickp is right. Florida only allows a 9mm for armed private security. Correct me if I'm wrong, but does Florida also say the pistol must have a decocker, or do they still have a Glock waver?

I'd go for the M&P.

Palmguy
08-13-11, 17:30
FL is only 9mm, .380 or .38spl for that type of work. Never seen anything about action type though...

kartoffel
08-13-11, 17:53
FL is only 9mm, .380 or .38spl for that type of work. Never seen anything about action type though...

Wow, seems odd that restriction-free Florida would have a law like that on the books. A buddy of mine was once an armored car driver out in the midwest (Iowa, Nebraska? not sure) and he said all the company let them carry was .38 revolvers. Apparently it was a company policy, but I can see how that kind of thing could get fossilized as law, too.

vigilant2
08-13-11, 18:48
Rick, I believe you should let me take it off your hands, I'm righty
but know a lefty that would probably be interested in the holsters. I'll
take the G19 and magazines :happy:. I think I'm not too far north of
you, will be glad to make trip;) . Really, I will.

ambluemax
08-13-11, 22:48
I'd hold onto the glock and get into the M&P as your budget allows. You can always sell it later if you really get hard core about M&P's and fall out of love with the glock.

I have a glock, but have been thinking about getting an M&P as well. Lots of cool competition trigger kits (at affordable prices) for the M&P and I don't currently have a full capacity 9mm pistol for 3gun...then again so many guns I want and not enough money to buy them all. I'm sure many can relate.

Also a lefty, totally feel your pain!!

Magsz
08-14-11, 01:19
Rick,

The M&P offers you one benefit. A right side of the frame slide catch.

Other than that...stick with what you shoot well and call it a day. Moving to an M&P is not going to do anything for you unless you absolutely hate the Glock and cannot make yourself shoot it well.

Spend the 500 bones on more ammo.

Texas42
08-14-11, 07:02
I've regretted selling every gun I've sold.

I love G19.

If you want to sell me your magazines. . . . : D

R0N
08-14-11, 08:57
Rick,

Other than that...stick with what you shoot well and call it a day. Moving to an M&P is not going to do anything for you unless you absolutely hate the Glock and cannot make yourself shoot it well.

In my opinion the MP can have their triggers made better than the Glock.

I am slowly adding an M&P for each Glock I own other than my Glock 20.

Guns-up.50
08-14-11, 09:45
Rick,

As a lefty i wouldnt even say that is a bebefit, i reach under the pistol to trip the slide catch with my support hand(right) and drop the mags with my index finger. That being said + on the ammo

To the OP if you dont like your glock or like something better than sell the glock and get it. The amount of kit you have shouldnt matter because that can be sold as well; you have already had several offers and you didnt even post it, and if thoes fall through let me know ;) End of the day get what you like i have both M&Ps and glocks if you dont have that luxary go with what you like best and shoot the shit out of it

Spiffums
08-14-11, 10:24
If you do switch...... send me all your G19 mags and I will keep the Nuns with rulers from whacking you over the head for getting "rid" of your Glock.

DeltaSierra
08-14-11, 10:55
If you want a S&W, go for it...

But I still don't see what the M&P will do that the Glock won't do....

Beat Trash
08-14-11, 13:12
I've carried a Glock 19 off duty since about 2000. I was issued a M&P9 in 2006. So I have spent a few years now comparing the two guns.

The M&P trigger can be made nicer than the Glock trigger. But the Glock trigger is serviceable enough that I still have no issues using the gun as a defensive type firearm.

The Glock 19 is just a tad smaller, but enough so to make a difference for me when concealing.

I prefer the duel slide releases on the M&P. I often find myself using both the thumb and trigger finger of my shooting hand, without intentionally trying to to so.

Rickp If you want a M&P9, I'd strongly suggest you save up and get one. If after a time, you decide you don't want both guns then sell of which ever one you don't want.

But if you sell off your Glock 19 right now, you may regret it later. With all the debate going on as to the quality and reliability of currently manufactured Glocks, both Gen3 & Gen4 guns, you may really regret selling off a Glock 19 of known reliability.

I have switched to carrying an M&P while of duty now days. Mainly because I shoot them a tad bit better.

But my Glock 19's aren't going anywhere. They're paid for. I don't have to feed them. They're not costing me anything. They're just sitting there, patiently waiting, ready to be used again if ever needed.

amac
08-14-11, 13:51
It's funny this comes up. I am considering leaving my M&P9 for Glock. I've been using it in 3gun comps and am beginning to think there a reason EVERYONE uses a Glock - 17. I've also been considering a G19 for carry purposes.

Like some posters said, I could just buy the Glock and keep the M&P, but I want to focus soley on one platform and not have to think about how each gun runs. Just my preference. FWIW, my M&P has been flawless. The trigger does feel better than most Glock's I've shot. And the ergonomics seem to fit naturally in the hand. You wouldn't be dissapointed.

DocGKR
08-14-11, 14:33
If you have a reliable G19, keep it!

Add the M&P when you can, especially since you already have an M&P45. Currently I am qualified on the 9mm Glock and M&P45--both work. I prefer the M&P trigger, ergonomics, grip inserts, and grip angle. Parts are easier to acquire for Glocks and they are a bit easier to service compared to the M&P--both are substantially better in that regard than HK, Sig, Beretta, etc...

JW1069
08-14-11, 14:56
OP, I recently added a G19 after shooting the M&P full size 9mm with Apex trigger upgrades. The M&P 9 is just a joy to shoot and I couldn't justify selling it short of being desperate for cash. However, it's a little too big for a carry option whereas the G19 is pretty much ideal for carry size. Considering you plan to carry this for work purposes, I'd suggest adding the M&P 9 for work and keeping the G19 for a CCW. Both pistols are keepers.

C4IGrant
08-14-11, 18:52
If you have a reliable G19, keep it!

Add the M&P when you can, especially since you already have an M&P45. Currently I am qualified on the 9mm Glock and M&P45--both work. I prefer the M&P trigger, ergonomics, grip inserts, and grip angle. Parts are easier to acquire for Glocks and they are a bit easier to service compared to the M&P--both are substantially better in that regard than HK, Sig, Beretta, etc...

Yep. If you have a GEN 3 G19 that runs, keep it and then buy and M&P later.

C4

brzusa.1911
08-14-11, 19:05
I am a little biased, the only hanguns I trust to carry are 1911s and Glocks, have two of each so I don't even think about other handguns at the moment, but when time comes that I need another one it sure will be either a Glock or a 1911.

rickp
08-14-11, 20:27
A bunch of you have really good points.

The main reason for the switch is how the M&P shoots. IMO, the G19 has a very snappy/sharp recoil, where as the M&P has a smoother recoil/ less snappy recoil. Also the trigger on a M&P is better after just a little modification and the grip fits better in my hand. I just feel that the M&P is a more developed product over Glock. Not to say that glock's are not good. They are GREAT combat pistols. I just enjoy the M&P better, well at least the .45

I'll do a bit of more research on this on monday and tuesday and if I decide to make the move I'll let you guys know so you can take some of the support gear off my hands.

theblackknight
08-14-11, 20:30
if you sell the glock, your dumb

C4IGrant
08-14-11, 20:31

The main reason for the switch is how the M&P shoots. IMO, the G19 has a very snappy/sharp recoil, where as the M&P has a smoother recoil/ less snappy recoil. Also the trigger on a M&P is better after just a little modification and the grip fits better in my hand. I just feel that the M&P is a more developed product over Glock. Not to say that glock's are not good. They are GREAT combat pistols. I just enjoy the M&P better, well at least the .45

I'll do a bit of more research on this on monday and tuesday and if I decide to make the move I'll let you guys know so you can take some of the support gear off my hands.

Interesting opinion. I would agree with many of the things you said, but must say that I find the G19 very easy to shoot with little to no muzzle flip.

C4

samuse
08-14-11, 20:39
Interesting opinion. I would agree with many of the things you said, but must say that I find the G19 very easy to shoot with little to no muzzle flip.

C4

I agree. The Glock 19 is about the easiest pistol to shoot well IMO.

You should keep it or sell it to me. :D

rickp
08-14-11, 21:29
C4IGrant and samuse,
Have you guys shot the M&P system in 9 or .45?

I agree the glock is easy to shoot, but I feel that the S&W improved their M&P system and is a bit better in terms of fit, feel, customization etc, and its a durable system.

willowofwisp
08-14-11, 21:40
C4IGrant and samuse,

I agree the glock is easy to shoot, but I feel that the S&W improved their M&P system and is a bit better in terms of fit, feel, customization etc, and its a durable system.

Maybe there is something wrong with your grip? When i shoot the 19 there is really no recoil feeling and the gun doesn't really rise in my hand..I do agree though the m&p 9 does appear to have a tiny bit less muzzle climb.

Magsz
08-14-11, 22:27
Its hard to compare the two.

Slide velocities are different, the M&P flexes less because of the steel chassis and seems to absorb recoil just a little bit more.

Muzzle climb is very similar between pistols in my opinion.

Unless you've got joint issues, the difference in recoil is minimal and only really felt when you're looking for it.

If you like the M&P and you shoot it well and you can carry it comfortably, get it. Its really that simple but i would not sell that G19.

RagweedZulu
08-14-11, 22:34
+1. The G19 is pretty much THE universal pistol to own. I'm not a 9mm fan but even I have a G19. DO NOT get rid of yours! You WILL regret it!

Denali
08-14-11, 22:39

C4

That makes two of us, the G19 is the easiest shooting pistol I've ever run with, I've seen an awful lot of marginal shooters elevate their scores after transitioning to G19's...

jeremy45
08-14-11, 22:50
I carry my G19 almost daily and shoot it alot in IDPA and USPSA and watching videos of me shooting shows almost no muzzle climb when shooting. I know it doesn't always look that way from the back end but the more I shoot with it the more it tracks and stays steady in my hand.

While the feel of the M&P is great and I am looking at moving in that direction myself so I can run multiple calibers on a single platform, I would never actually sell my 19 as it has run flawlessly since I bought it. Only malfunctions I have had were reload(always use a chamber gauge) related. I have personally seen a firing pin/striker break on a long slide M&P while dry firing and this does make me a tad nervous as far as carry guns go. I know that is a single example but all the Glock 19's/17's I have been around, especially the gen3 guns, have had almost zero issues of any kind

I agree with what has been said above and think you should keep the 19 and add the M&P as funds permit and make sure it is as reliable before actually switching.

Jeremy45

samuse
08-14-11, 23:52
C4IGrant and samuse,

Yes. I shot a longslide 9mm and was totally unimpressed. It had a triggerjob and was very light, but the reset sucked and the gun just was not very accurate for me (I still outshoot the guy who owns it with a G-19).

The gun is reliable and light, if you have huge ergonomic problem with a Glock, then maybe it is a better choice for you.

IMO the 3rd gen 19s are about the best handgun out there. If I'm not using a Glock 19, I'm playing with a 1911.

rickp
08-15-11, 07:58
Again, really good points.
It's not my grip, I just think the pistols have different characteristics.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's decision time.

C4IGrant
08-15-11, 08:22
C4IGrant and samuse,

I am an LE Dealer for S&W. So I have shot or own every M&P out there. ;)

I am commonly known as the M&P "fanboy" around here. :)

C4

Nephrology
08-15-11, 09:16
I keep thinking about this but frankly I say stick with the Glocks.

I too regret more or less every gun I've sold (except a tanfoglio that just didn't feed, and a crappy century AK).

Keep the G19 and work on it. When you have the $$ for a full sized pistol, buy an M&P (used preferably) and about 1k rounds ammo for both. Skip night sights holsters mag etc. After you put half that ammo through G19 and the other have through the M&P then make your decision.

Also know that quite honestly any difference in your accuracy and performance with the gun will probably be quite minimal in the long term. You will, no matter what you think, be simply transitioning for effectively cosmetic reasons. Unless you really aren't making your shots land on target at all, and definitely ARE with comparable 9mms, then I don't know if you will see a huge spike in performance.

yunggunz
08-15-11, 14:01
IMO, a glock .40 recoil feels more violent than the M&P40 as well as the .45 versions.

9mm not so much.

Pi3
08-15-11, 18:50
What are the current serial numbers on new 9 & 9c m&ps?
What are the lowest serial numbers that would have the latest upgrades?
Is this correct?-To find out when your M&P was made..look on the label on the box, under the SKU number is a smaller number. For example, on mine it's 9183..This means it was made in '09, on the 183rd day of the year..
https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-62156.html

C4IGrant
08-16-11, 09:10
What are the current serial numbers on new 9 & 9c m&ps?
What are the lowest serial numbers that would have the latest upgrades?
Is this correct?-To find out when your M&P was made..look on the label on the box, under the SKU number is a smaller number. For example, on mine it's 9183..This means it was made in '09, on the 183rd day of the year..
https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-62156.html

Really hard to say. All the M&P's we have are the newest ones. So when you go to buy an M&P, ask the dealer to look at the sear housing block (which is something we check for our customers).

C4

mdauben
08-16-11, 09:13
What do you guys think, should I try and sell everything or should I get the M&P as an addition. .
My cardinal rule is to *never* sell a gun. ;-)

The few times I broke this rule I *always* came to eventually regret it.

mdauben
08-16-11, 09:14
What do you guys think, should I try and sell everything or should I get the M&P as an addition. .
My cardinal rule is to *never* sell a gun. ;-)

The few times I broke this rule I *always* came to regret it.

rauchman
08-16-11, 12:54
Interesting dilema.

I have a Gen2/3 G19, Gen2 G17, Gen3 G26 and Gen4 G23. Also have an M&P40 w/ 9mm barrel on the way (thanks Midway) and NJ friendly 15 rnd 9mm mags (thanks Grant). Waiting on my permits to pick up my M&P45.

Like the others have said, keep your G19 and save up for your M&P. I constantly go back and forth between the 2 platforms and consistently wind up choosing the G19. However, the M&P45, at least from holding it in the store, feels superb in my hand, while the M&P40 frame feels like it's almost there, but not quite. I wear "L" sized gloves. I can't say any of the grip inserts for the M&P40 frame feel just right. But, that's all me. You've mentioned that the M&P ergo's work for you. You mention the recoil difference on the 9mm and the G19's recoil/muzzle lift, being more pronounced. I've heard the same thing on the .40 platform. In my experience, I really don't find the recoil different from the M&P40 to the G4 Glock 23. I think if you were to compare a G17 to a M&P9, the recoil would be much more similar.

I do think you'll ulitmately regret getting rid of your G19. It's such a superb pistol in its class. If you KNOW the M&P is for you though, then do what you need to do. That's my problem. I'm always willing to give another platform a try, yet I keep on coming back to the Glock. I just finished doing some sanding on the M&P to get the relief cut under the trigger guard (my biggest complaint on the M&P ergos). It's much better but still I'm so ingrained on the G19, I'm still quicker on it.

Some thoughts to ponder...

While I agree that being very well versed on a given platform is a real positive, I've come to realize that not all models of a given platform work as well equally. In other words, looking at the M&P, I think, for me, the M&P45 is going to be one of "those" pistols, whereas the 9mm/.40 platforms are OK, but nothing special..... again, this is for me. Conversely, I love the position of the hump on the backstrap of the G19, but I find the hump on the G17 too low and it adversely affects my handling of the pistol. And, at least for me, I don't find the Glock and M&P platform different enough, that they warrant specialized muscle memory training. On both platforms, I find bringing the pistol to line of sight is intuitive and natural. I can't speak to pulling from a holster since NJ, for all practical arguments, does not have CCW.

Good luck on your choice and keep us informed of your choice.

rickp
08-16-11, 13:23
Really hard to say. All the M&P's we have are the newest ones. So when you go to buy an M&P, ask the dealer to look at the sear housing block (which is something we check for our customers).

C4

What are you looking for there

C4IGrant
08-16-11, 13:30
What are you looking for there

Larger Sear Detent and Spring is one of the key elements, but there are others as well.

C4

jmreagan
08-18-11, 19:08

I agree wholeheartedly with your view. My M&P .40fs and .40c have significantly less recoil than my old Glocks did. And yes, I'm comparing exact same loads by manufacturer and bullet weight. I also like the ambi slide release and the palm swell adjustments along with the 1911 like grip angle are what does it for me in choosing the M&P over my sold Glocks. Then you have the Apex options to make a 1911 like trigger in a polymer gun with the RAM that makes the reset near perfect. Lastly I enjoy the slight capacity increase in ammo with 15 rounds in the M&P.40fs as compared to 13 in the G23. Then 10 rounds in the .40c compared to 9 in the G27. Glocks are fine pistols and I give then credit for starting it all. But the M&P is an upgraded and more refined Glock to me. For all the reasons listed above along with an established foot hold in the support market with mags costing less than $25 each is why I considered and completed the switch.