PDA

View Full Version : Mid-length, lightweight upper with delta ring

pinepig2
08-13-11, 22:08
I'm trying to get approval to purchase some railed uppers to mount to Colt 6520 lowers. My preference would be the BCM mid-length uppers with 16" lightwieght, cold hammer forged barrels. If this request is approved for fiscal year-end funds there will be a relatively short window to make the purchase. With the BCM uppers perpetually out of stock (and no backorders taken, apparantly) I'm thinking I'd better come up with another option.

I'd like to mount MOE handguards, so I'm looking for an upper with a delta ring/handguard cap. Need top-tier (full TDP compliance) vender. Colt doesn't do mid-length or CHF (not sure they sell uppers regardless). The Daniel Defense offerings all seem to come with a rail pre-installed (no delta ring).

I see Noveske offers a 16" "Light Recce, Basic" upper. The barrel is clearly heavier than the 6520 "pencil" barrel. What profile do they use, and does anyone know the weight difference? Any other options I'm missing?

Toyoland66
08-13-11, 22:21
It seems a lot of places are out of stock at the moment.

G&R is a good place to check, the sometimes have upprs in stock when bcm is sold out, that's is where I bought my bfh lightweight middy.

DD can a had in basic configuration from places from smart gunner so I would imagine you can deal with DD direct to get the same thing.

Noveske uses a proprietary profile, supposed to weigh the same as a standard barrel but stiffer due to no m203 notch. I don't know specific but always hear 4 oz for the weight difference between a lw and standard 16" barrel. The noveske has some nice features such as gunfighter charging handle and vortex flash hider. You can even order the moe model which comes with moe hand guards and rear buis. It seems the noveskes are coming back in stock as I got email notifications from a couple vendors in the past few days.

shootist~
08-13-11, 23:25
My 16" N4 Light Basic and 14.5" DD LW upper both started life with standard delta rings.

offshorebear
08-14-11, 00:19
I just bought a 16" DD barrel from AIM Surplus. It only includes the FSB, but the other parts are cheap and available.

The taper pins weren't installed, so it was easy to add my own parts.

rocketman
08-14-11, 08:40
It seems a lot of places are out of stock at the moment.

G&R is a good place to check, the sometimes have upprs in stock when bcm is sold out, that's is where I bought my bfh lightweight middy.

DD can a had in basic configuration from places from smart gunner so I would imagine you can deal with DD direct to get the same thing.

Noveske uses a proprietary profile, supposed to weigh the same as a standard barrel but stiffer due to no m203 notch. I don't know specific but always hear 4 oz for the weight difference between a lw and standard 16" barrel. The noveske has some nice features such as gunfighter charging handle and vortex flash hider. You can even order the moe model which comes with moe hand guards and rear buis. It seems the noveskes are coming back in stock as I got email notifications from a couple vendors in the past few days.

I just ordered a 14.5 Noveske "skinny" 14.5 middy upper. I need another upper like I need a hole in the head but right now I have a BCM upper on a Noveske lower and it's keeping me awake nights.....uhhhh... now I have an orphan BCM upper......oh shit...

Joking aside I really wanted Noveske's Light Basic Upper but it was out of stock. Guess I'd better start saving again.

SomeOtherGuy
08-14-11, 11:10
DD can build that configuration no problem. But the only place I've seen it offered is smartgunner, which you do NOT want to try dealing with.

I would directly contact G&R or BCM on the BCM option, and Joe Marler of Daniel Defense on the DD option. I'm sure one of those, probably all three, can make sure that the uppers you want are in stock at the time you have the funds available to make the purchase.

pinepig2
08-14-11, 22:25
Thanks guys, just the info I needed. I'm going to pursue the DD option further.

abanks8245
08-15-11, 06:05
I work at surplus ammo and arms, and we just received three BCM 14.5 mid length uppers with lightweight profile barrels and standard front sight gas block, we should have one left with A2X and one with battlecomp pm if you have any questions.

9DivDoc
08-15-11, 20:49
I'm trying to get approval to purchase some railed uppers to mount to Colt 6520 lowers. My preference would be the BCM mid-length uppers with 16" lightwieght, cold hammer forged barrels. If this request is approved for fiscal year-end funds there will be a relatively short window to make the purchase. With the BCM uppers perpetually out of stock (and no backorders taken, apparantly) I'm thinking I'd better come up with another option.

I'd like to mount MOE handguards, so I'm looking for an upper with a delta ring/handguard cap. Need top-tier (full TDP compliance) vender. Colt doesn't do mid-length or CHF (not sure they sell uppers regardless). The Daniel Defense offerings all seem to come with a rail pre-installed (no delta ring).

I see Noveske offers a 16" "Light Recce, Basic" upper. The barrel is clearly heavier than the 6520 "pencil" barrel. What profile do they use, and does anyone know the weight difference? Any other options I'm missing?

I'd go straight to Paul with this request....he might make you an accommodation

I heard fall on the light wt 16" middies with .625 gas blocks being back in stock

pinepig2
08-16-11, 02:47
I'm in touch with Joe at DD, it's looking like he will have me covered.