PDA

View Full Version : Questions:Midwest Indu. vs Ultimak

CRAMBONE
08-14-11, 00:35
I have an AMD-65 and I looking into mounting a small RDS like a T-1. I searched for a comparison between the Midwest Ind./US Palm and the Ultimak and did not find a thread. If there is one on here already just direct me there, please.

-What is the weight difference?
-Will either cowitness?
-I know the Ultimak will get hotter, but how much hotter and is this a worry with a quality optic like an Aimpoint?
-Durability/reliability comparison between the two?

Thanks for any help guys.

Hizzie
08-14-11, 11:02
The Ultimak is just a gastube replacement. Very sturdy. Without actually putting them on a scale the Ultimak felt about the same weight as the gastube+upper handguard. The Ultimak will get finger searing hot. The Aimpoint Micro's shrug this off without adverse effects. The Ultimak, being a replacement gastube, is as low as you can go-period. It will cowitness with Aimpoint Micro's and C3's or similiarly sized RDS.

As for comparisons to the MI Handguard I can't offer much. You need an optic specific upper half to the MI to get a cowitness. Some report having to jack up the elevation to get a lower 1/3 cowitness depending on optic chosen.

Awake
08-14-11, 16:57
When you install a T-1 for example, you can get a quick release mount such as the ARMS 31 that co-witness. With the MI guard you cannot quick release. Also you get more rail on top for a flashlight mount. The limited space in the handguard should be left for grabbing.

DWood
08-14-11, 20:55
They are both able to cowitness. Here is a good video on the differences in heat with each mount.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Sturmgewehre#p/search/0/bUqkK3p50sw

This is the mount I want to replace the Ultimak I have now. It is only available for the 30 mm Aimpoints but a mount for the T-1 which I already have is in the works. May just buy an ML2 or ML3 and get this RS Products mount now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkRvMUVal3U

Awake
08-14-11, 21:39
Looks good!