PDA

View Full Version : Serial Number Range of Glock 19s During Phase III Malfunctions Period?

Race
08-14-11, 10:00
Is there a serial number range for Glock 19s that identify when they were experiencing the Phase III malfunctions? How can one know what to stay away from when buying a used one?

Thanks.

sjc3081
09-16-11, 20:04
When I was with NYPD I observed many 2nd Gen 19s that Phase
III. I never witnessed it happen with a Gen 3. That is my limited experience.

DocH
09-16-11, 23:38
I have three 2nd gen.19's. They run from Ser#YX,a later production 90 degree extractor, thru #BRM with the then newer 15 degree extractor cut. I've never experienced this malf with any of them. Thousands of rounds thru them.

Race
09-17-11, 08:49
I have three 2nd gen.19's. They run from Ser#YX,a later production 90 degree extractor, thru #BRM with the then newer 15 degree extractor cut. I've never experienced this malf with any of them. Thousands of rounds thru them.

Is the extractor what would fix the Phase III issue? I would like to find a Gen 2 G19, but don't want one with the issue. If a Gen 2 G19 had the issue, can I just change the extractor to resolve?

Thanks.

DocH
09-17-11, 09:58
Race,I really can't remember what the resolution was to that problem,it's been so long since it occurred.I don't believe it was related to the extractor at all but I may be wrong.
I was using the serial number ranges to kind of give you a starting point if you plan on purchasing an older pistol.
If you can find a nice used Gen 3 G19,that would probably be your best bet. I do have one of the newer 3rd Gens. with the controversial dipped extractor,which has 1900 rounds thru it at this time with no problems. Others have had issues with them,so the used older gen 3 would be a good way to go.
Lots of LE agencies in my area are jumping on the Gen.4's,and I asume that's occuring all over,so a used trade in shouldn't be hard to find. I really think the Phase III malfs are a non issue from the past.

LRB45
09-17-11, 10:09
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a Phase III malfunction?

As far as my Glock 19 Gen 3 serial RKL range, it has run flawlessly thru almost 700 rounds. Not a high round count but adding up gradually. I definitely feel for guys that are having all these issues with their 9mms.

DaveR
09-17-11, 11:44
LRB45, here's a quick link/description
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/phase3.html

Dave

DocH
09-17-11, 13:07
Good link,Dave,thanks for posting it. Refreshes my memory a little. I still don't know if extractors were(are) to blame for this but there is a probabilty of it,esp. given current extractor issues going on now. I guess i've just been lucky.
At this point I'm also wondering if 115 gr. ammo is also to blame in most instances,but I may never know. Nevertheless,these guns should function with ammo of all bullet weights. I'm fortunate that mine do,but looking at the problem today that some are having,and the old Phase III malfunctions,it would appear to be a problem(extractors) that Glock just can't seem to get on top of.
I suppose we just take our chances on a purchase and if it doesn't work,trade or sell it. I don't think it's worth spending a lot of "fix it" time on since there are Glocks out there,both old and new,that do work fine.
I do think that a couple of thousand rounds through the gun is a good idea before putting it into service as a carry gun.That's what I'm doing with my late production Gen 3.
Thanks again for the link.

sjc3081
09-17-11, 14:32
It is not a extractor issue. It was guesstimated to be a frame flex issue.

DocH
09-17-11, 17:10
It is not a extractor issue. It was guesstimated to be a frame flex issue. Being frame flex, how was that resolved? Just curious,since all glock frames are said to have flex when firing. Did this issue manifest itself with any other models besides the 19?

polymorpheous
09-17-11, 17:48
Did this issue manifest itself with any other models besides the 19?

Good question.
My one and only failure was similar to this.
Slide locked up hard.
Completely stumped me, I cleared it my jerking back on the slide HARD a few times.

sjc3081
09-17-11, 18:08
The issue was resovled with the stiffer less flexing Gen III frame. I have a Gen II G21 that had a phase III malfunction.

DocH
09-17-11, 18:16
The issue was resovled with the stiffer less flexing Gen III frame. I have a Gen II G21 that had a phase III malfunction. Thanks for the info,sir.

polymorpheous
09-17-11, 19:05
I've experienced this malfunction on an early Gen3 G17.
Ammo was Wally world's Winchester whitebox.