PDA

View Full Version : Amazing what comes into a gun shop

C4IGrant
11-02-07, 16:13
For the last couple weeks I have been getting a lot of the locals coming in with broken shotguns and such. They are often in the shop between 3PM-6PM. It also looks like they have come right from work as they are either covered in grease/dirt or have some type of uniform on.

Now here is where it gets interesting. They are always drunk! I can smell the booze on them from across the shop. So that means that they got off work, drove straight to the local bar, got tanked and then with gun in hand drove to my shop. What a FANTASTIC idea that is. :rolleyes:

People never cease to amaze me.

C4

Dport
11-02-07, 16:16
Who says they weren't smashed at work?

Business_Casual
11-02-07, 16:18
They're not drunk, they're sobriety challenged.

M_P

Failure2Stop
11-02-07, 16:31
I just want to know at what point in thir drunken day did they realize that their gun was broken, and what were they doing with it?

Jay Cunningham
11-02-07, 16:33
Grant,

I live about 2.5 hours from you and believe me that is considered normal in Western PA. I work shifts and occasionally we will stop at a local bar in the morning for a couple of beers and some wings. Believe me when I say that there are guys who go there every day after work. There is a big banner that reads "Hunters Welcome" - one would think that drinking and hunting would be mutually exclusive, but I suppose not.

KintlaLake
11-02-07, 16:51
Maybe it's because I've been around so many guys who bar-hop on motorcycles, Grant, but that sort of stoopid conduct doesn't surprise me. In both cases it's a cultural thing. I don't understand or excuse either one.

Tomorrow morning I expect a friend of mine to invite me to attend his "ATF Day" party, held annually on the day after Thanksgiving. He and his buds figure that if the government charges an agency with regulating alcohol, tobacco and firearms, then dammit, those three things should be celebrated together. :rolleyes:

So they meet at a farm near Toledo, get falling-down drunk, smoke cigars and shoot things up. (I fear that someday they'll discover that the agency actually is called ATFE. Gawd.)

I personally enjoy A, T and F, but I don't mix A and F and won't hang with shooters who do. I'll again decline the ATF Day invitation.

M4arc
11-02-07, 16:53
Well Grant, it is O-HI-O after all...

j/k :D

Failure2Stop
11-02-07, 16:54
I'll again decline the ATF Day invitation.

Maybe you can get them to post the celebration on youtube.:D

Don Robison
11-02-07, 16:59
Like the others said Grant, it wouldn't surprise me to find out they actually started at their lunch break and finished the afternoon shift a little more mellow.
When I was stationed in Spokane in the mid 80's we would stop at a bar for a beer on the way home from hunting(I don't drink so I was the DD) we would always run into guys who were drinking there breakfast and lunch before their afternoon hunt. That was one of the reasons we always went out early and finished by lunch.

KintlaLake
11-02-07, 17:00
...it is O-HI-O after all...

Hey now. :mad: ;)

Let the Tidewater jokes begin...:D

John_Wayne777
11-02-07, 18:36

At least they aren't pointing said weapons in your face while they are loaded. That happened quite a bit at the old gun shop.

Some bubba would come in needing a new scope (a fact he discovered after picking up his rifle for the first time since last hunting season) and would come in the door waving it around like a new jedi showing off his shiny new light saber.

"It's not loaded!"

And about 1/3 of the time the staff would clear the weapon and ammo would be either in the magazine or in the chamber.

John_Wayne777
11-02-07, 18:39

Spoken like a man who has looked at some job safety figures!

When I worked in manufacturing back in 1200 BC it wasn't uncommon for our major on the job injuries to come from people who were tanked at work.

M4arc
11-02-07, 18:50
Hey now. :mad: ;)

Let the Tidewater jokes begin...:D

I'm kidding. I used to race @ Malvern and Salem which is close to Grant all the time when I was growing up. When I was a little older I'd spend my summers in Mentor and Painsville (up near Cleveland) and race and practice with some other friends I knew that lived there.

I've also been to several Cleveland Lumberjacks games in the day. Just don't ask me to say anything nice about the Browns or the Bengals :D

KintlaLake
11-02-07, 19:17
I'm kidding.

I know, I know. :D Massillon boy here, born'n'raised. Served a 20-year professional sentence in southern New England, came back here seven years ago. It's home. :cool:

Just don't ask me to say anything nice about the Browns or the Bengals :D

Not a problem. :rolleyes:

DrMark
11-02-07, 19:55
For the last couple weeks I have been getting a lot of the locals coming in with broken shotguns and such.

Oh, great. :rolleyes: I guess we can expect a Mossberg repair forum now!

So, Grant, should I get a Maverick 88 or spring for the Mossberg 500?

:D

;)

Don Robison
11-02-07, 20:03
Oh, great. :rolleyes: I guess we can expect a Mossberg repair forum now!

So, Grant, should I get a Maverick 88 or spring for the Mossberg 500?

:D

;)

I'd swing for the Norinco 870 knockoff:D :D :D

Failure2Stop
11-02-07, 20:17
I'd swing for the Norinco 870 knockoff:D :D :D

I read on TOS that they are just as good as the Remy 870 ;)
What does it take to move it left on the chart?:p

rmecapn
11-02-07, 20:32
That vehicle they're driving is at least as dangerous as the weapon they're slinging around. :(

NickB
11-02-07, 20:41
Grant, I actually attended an "end of year shoot" at a trap club in Wyoming where the club actually set up tubs of ice for kegs (6 in all), a roasted hog, free clays, and stadium lights so people could shoot all night until the kegs were gone. Then they all drove home.

If there was ever an argument against evolution, it is the fact that no one was even hurt, let alone killed that night.

Nathan_Bell
11-02-07, 21:09
Well Grant, it is O-HI-O after all...

j/k :D

Nah, you are saying it wrong. You forgot the Y

O- HI - YA is the proper way to say it.

Hersh
11-02-07, 22:05
I read on TOS that they are just as good as the Remy 870 ;)
What does it take to move it left on the chart?:p

All you need is a bayonet and heat shield. :D

williejc
11-03-07, 02:05
I retired from teaching, and in the last 15 years, I saw a number of impaired professionals, including a lady principal who was frequently under the influence of alcohol at work. It's a given that the kids would be stoned.

By the way, a so-called professional--doctor, lawyer, accountant, teacher, etc.--who is addicted to drugs and alcohol and can't perform is referred to as IMPAIRED. Everybody else in this category is just a dope fiend or old drunk.

What BULL S!!

Williejc:(

C4IGrant
11-03-07, 08:57

Could be...

C4

C4IGrant
11-03-07, 09:00
At least they aren't pointing said weapons in your face while they are loaded. That happened quite a bit at the old gun shop.

Some bubba would come in needing a new scope (a fact he discovered after picking up his rifle for the first time since last hunting season) and would come in the door waving it around like a new jedi showing off his shiny new light saber.

"It's not loaded!"

And about 1/3 of the time the staff would clear the weapon and ammo would be either in the magazine or in the chamber.

Oh, I get "flagged" on a dailey basis with weapons that have closed bolts. :mad: One guy was so bad that I put my hand on my 1911 just to make sure he got the point.

C4

williejc
11-03-07, 10:14
No doubt, you have posted signs. May I suggest a 55 gallon drum 1/2 filled with sand. Label it a clearing drum for those weapons not cleared before entering shop...or some such statement, with the idea being that after the piece is checked, it will be dry-fired into the drum. Then bolt is retracted and locked.

For symbolic purposes, you can use a smaller drum, of course. My suggestion is to use this gismo as a sign and not literally. The USAF had such barrels in place in their Air Police stations. Each shift would use these as the final step for turning in 1911's. I don't know if these were retained after adoption of the S&W M-15 and then the Beretta M-9.

Willliejc

C4IGrant
11-03-07, 10:31
No doubt, you have posted signs. May I suggest a 55 gallon drum 1/2 filled with sand. Label it a clearing drum for those weapons not cleared before entering shop...or some such statement, with the idea being that after the piece is checked, it will be dry-fired into the drum. Then bolt is retracted and locked.

For symbolic purposes, you can use a smaller drum, of course. My suggestion is to use this gismo as a sign and not literally. The USAF had such barrels in place in their Air Police stations. Each shift would use these as the final step for turning in 1911's. I don't know if these were retained after adoption of the S&W M-15 and then the Beretta M-9.

Willliejc

There is a sign outside the shop that says in large red letters: "All weapons must be in a case before entering."

C4

-Wes-
11-03-07, 11:28
I loved it when a couple would come in shopping for a handgun only to find out the boyfriend/ husband is a Felon.

I worked there less than a year and only had one scary customer that made me start positioning myself in a defensive state. Also turned out to be a Felon. I thought for sure I would get my "freebie" that day, glad I didn't though.

Paulinski
11-03-07, 11:28
I keep hearing all those stories with hunters and their questionable safety practice. Yet the antis will always try to blame any AD on hangdun/AR/AK etc etc owners:mad:

Grant

Some of those ppl need not to be near any kind of firearm.

williejc
11-03-07, 11:34
Then, there may be no hope. I used to have a sign in my classroom which said that if ignorance was contagious, I would be dead. Others deemed it negative, and I was ordered to remove it along with the one proclaiming that you can't run a jackass in the Kentucky Derby.

Most folks today hate taking directions from others. Kids object to the word rules, and now many schools call them agreements. Also, teachers are expected to use euphemisms for words like cheating, lying, stealing, lazy, disrespectful, obscene...the list goes on. During 30 years, I was hit, kicked, scratched, spit on, and cursed. I'm glad that I was considered a popular teacher. I might as well have been a cop.:D

I better cease with my social reporting, or I might start talking about my career in corrections. I don't want to tell folks unpleasant things.

Williejc

ST911
11-03-07, 11:52
The USAF had such barrels in place in their Air Police stations. Each shift would use these as the final step for turning in 1911's. I don't know if these were retained after adoption of the S&W M-15 and then the Beretta M-9.c

Clearing barrels have endured, and serve their purpose with greater regularity than they should.

ST911
11-03-07, 12:04
Most folks today hate taking directions from others. Kids object to the word rules, and now many schools call them agreements. Also, teachers are expected to use euphemisms for words like cheating, lying, stealing, lazy, disrespectful, obscene...the list goes on.

I'm a member of some task forces and other things for our district. Most schools have guidelines, internal and external, on how to construct policy, verbiage to use, etc. "Agreement" and "contract" themes are the norm, as they "empower" the student. Or some such thing. Most anything that simply dictates, directs, commands, or unilaterally imposes things is taboo.

The use of the word "discipline" is on its way out, too. Boy, does it show.

KDG
11-03-07, 17:54
Oh, I get "flagged" on a dailey basis with weapons that have closed bolts. :mad: One guy was so bad that I put my hand on my 1911 just to make sure he got the point.

C4

Hey, am glad to see the reference to the 1911, with all the M&P talk, thought it was a dying breed :o

You are a retail enviroment, I know that world, any fool can walk in your doors...you deal with both great people on one end and whatever the gutter brings in on the other

graffex
11-03-07, 20:24
You are a retail enviroment, I know that world, any fool can walk in your doors...you deal with both great people on one end and whatever the gutter brings in on the other

Isn't that the truth.

That's why I say I'd rather be homeless than work retail again. I just don't have a high tolerance for stupidity.

Robb Jensen
11-03-07, 22:40
Isn't that the truth.

That's why I say I'd rather be homeless than work retail again. I just don't have a high tolerance for stupidity.

I've always thought that everyone should be awarded a 'free to whip your ass card' (kinda like a get out of jail free card) once a day for the stupidest person that they encounter everyday. It would allow you to beat the shit out of the dumbest person you encounter everyday. Some people just need a good beating and a little stick-time is healthy. ;)

Dport
11-03-07, 22:50
I've always thought that everyone should be awarded a 'free to whip your ass card' (kinda like a get out of jail free card) once a day for the stupidest person that they encounter everyday. It would allow you to beat the shit out of the dumbest person you encounter everyday. Some people just need a good beating and a little stick-time is healthy. ;)

Yeah, but what if you get someone really stupid at like 11am, beat his ass, and then someone really really stupid comes in at 3pm?

Of course, you might try to save it until the end of the day, and have to beat someone who is only mildly stupid at the end of the day...

I think you're going to need more than one.

Don Robison
11-03-07, 22:52

Some days I don't think a deck of 52 would be enough.

williejc
11-03-07, 22:56
Sir, have you considered working as a substitute teacher or school bus driver? You would need to carry your sticks in a golf bag.

In some ways I know the true meaning of shell-shocked. I would like to share this with others.

Williejc

Business_Casual
11-03-07, 22:57
Some people just need a good beating and a little stick-time is healthy. ;)

Is that why you chased me out of the shop with a PR-24?

M_P

QuickStrike
11-04-07, 04:06

I like.

The only problem is I will probably end up kicking my own ass about once a week though... :D

jmtgsx
11-04-07, 08:15
There is a sign outside the shop that says in large red letters: "All weapons must be in a case before entering."

Chico Marx voice/ Inna case a what, Boss?/Chico off :D

I dont know why that made me think of this. I blame sleep deprivation & too much time at work!

dialM4murder
11-04-07, 10:55
For the last couple weeks I have been getting a lot of the locals coming in with broken shotguns and such. They are often in the shop between 3PM-6PM. It also looks like they have come right from work as they are either covered in grease/dirt or have some type of uniform on.

Now here is where it gets interesting. They are always drunk! I can smell the booze on them from across the shop. So that means that they got off work, drove straight to the local bar, got tanked and then with gun in hand drove to my shop. What a FANTASTIC idea that is. :rolleyes:

C4

Pathetic.

dialM4murder
11-04-07, 10:58

C4

I always bring my AR into the range/shop with the bolt locked back and no mag for just this reason.

Razoreye
11-04-07, 17:40

C4
:D :D :D :D

Robb Jensen
11-04-07, 17:50
Is that why you chased me out of the shop with a PR-24?

M_P

It was your day brother ! :p

AMMOTECH
11-04-07, 18:14
Clearing barrels have endured, and serve their purpose with greater regularity than they should.

I bet there are quite a few out there that have given their all.

Gunfixr
11-06-07, 10:59
The shop where I work is in a tiny rural town, so hunters make up a good bit of business. It is on a major state highway, so others do come in from all over. The only problem with "all weapons must be cased" is that they just stick it in the case loaded. Mostly I am made aware of a jammed up gun that is loaded being brought in beforehand. It only took a couple of months to see that the absolutely worst thing on a firearm is its owner. A month or so ago, a guy brought in a muzzleloader to be cleaned a have a little work done. My personal experience with muzleloader shooters is that they are usually quite disciplined in what they do. I asked and was told that it was empty. I took him at his word. THAT won't happen again. He said that he had been shooting it. It was loaded with pieces of a fired cap under the striker (an inline). How he didn't notice it not going off eludes me. I was trying to clean it and couldn't understand why the bore was so short. It didn't go off and no one was hurt. Granted, it was not wise to take his word for it, but neither was it wise to fire a cap and then say it was empty. He paid extra for me to unload it first and for risk factor.