PDA

View Full Version : CCW at an amusement park??

Animal_Mother556
08-14-11, 11:36
Went to a local amusement park with my girlfriend/squeeze the other day. On the way there I kept trying to imagine myself on the different rides, and thinking, "will my CCW rig handle that without my gun falling out??" I ultimately decided that it wasn't worth the risk so I left the full-sized Kimber and Crossbreed in the car. Now, while I was on the rides, I did try to pay attention to g-forces and "what's going where" on my body. I THINK I would have been okay to carry it.

Anyone else have any experiences carrying in a fun-park? Bad or good?

Thanks

ShipWreck
08-14-11, 12:09
In Tx, if the place is open 180 days or more in a year, you cannot carry into an amusement park....

CCK
08-14-11, 12:13
I carry everywhere there isn't a metal detector. If I fear my firearm may be exposed; I don't go there.

maximus83
08-14-11, 12:16
Interesting question. We just took our kids to a park a couple weeks ago, and I wondered about the retention issue too. Obviously the regs on CCW are going to be park-specific, so it's worth checking the rules online. As for retention issues, if you're going on wild rides that will have you stopping, hanging upside down for extended periods, and possibly scrunching up against others (as I did), it's obviously a lot safer to leave the gun in the car. There are plenty of quality holsters with good retention that would probably do ok in this situation, but I didn't want to find out the hard way, so I left mine behind.

ST911
08-14-11, 12:52
Anyone else have any experiences carrying in a fun-park? Bad or good? Thanks

No problems carrying on various rides, roller coasters, and attractions at different parks. Some will require body weight against, or hands/feet covering the holster to ensure retention, but it can be done.

Exp... In a pocket holster, cover with a hand. With an ankle holster, place the opposing foot over the top of the holster. With a belt holster, an elbow over the top or body weight against the structure of the ride.

It should NOT be attempted by the inattentive, boneheads, or casual carriers, nor by those using one-size-fits-all or bottom end gear.

jck397
08-14-11, 13:36
I'm all for carrying anywhere where you can pull it off, and I'm sure with a good holster the gun wouldn't go flying, but I'm thinking of a busy day at Disney, for example, and wondering if there's any situation where you could actually get a clean shot with a good backdrop. Just something else to think about.

Our state fair is in a very bad neighborhood, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to have something to/from the car. I'd probably go with my 642 and a pocket holster for the least chance of flying out. But outside of that situation, even though an amusement park is a great soft target, given the backdrop situation and retention issues, I'd go cold.

Animal_Mother556
08-14-11, 13:38
As far as being LEGAL to carry into the park, there were no posted signs and the website did not have it listed in the "rules and regs" of the park.

This park doesn't really have any rides that are freakin' nuts (placing your nose in your crotch repeatedly), so I think next time we go, I am gonna go for it. All of the rides that we went on, I would have been able to place a body part, namely my elbow, over the top of the rig for extra insurance. I will let you guys know how it turns out if/when we go again.

Thank ya much

Animal_Mother556
08-14-11, 13:44
given the backdrop situation and retention issues, I'd go cold.

I carry in malls when they are busy as hell, I carry at outdoor festivals/functions that are packed...I guess the massive amount of people never bothered me much. Just because I have it, doesn't mean I have to smoke someone, i guess. It's all situational dependent.

Thanks for your $0.02, man.

SteveL
08-14-11, 14:08
My wife used to work at Disney World and Universal Orlando and neither place permits carry on their property. Now having said that, odds are that if you choose to carry your sidearm, and do so RESPONSIBLY (more on this below) that you won't have any problems because noone will ever know. Keep in mind though that an amusement park is private property, despite the fact that many people think otherwise. It may not be against the law to carry there, but you will be trespassed from the property if you're caught with a firearm. Given the cost of your ticket, and the fact that anyone else in your party may or may not be kicked out with you, this could be rather inconvenient to say the least.

Also keep in mind that your usual method of carry may not work out so well at an amusement park. My wife used to tell me stories about having to shut down a ride and send maintenance and security out to recover someone's pistol that had fallen out of their holster while they were upside down riding a roller coaster. Best case scenario it would land in one of the nets above the crowd. Then there are the times that it would end up in the water somewhere or just go falling to the concrete among the crowd.

Also NEVER EVER put anything valuable, especially your sidearm, in any of the lockers they have on site. IIRC the last time I was at Universal Studios they had removed those lockers because they are robbed so often. Also don't trust anyone standing at the lockers offering to help you with them. These people don't work there, although they will almost certainly be wearing a polo with an embroidered logo (which they bought or stole from one of the gift shops).

I'm not trying to talk you out of carrying your pistol while at an amusement park. People just need to realize that visiting an amusement park puts you in circumstances you don't normally encounter, like being upside down and getting slung around so that your untucked shirt may move and reveal anything at your waist. A fanny pack in lieu of your normal IWB/OWB with no retention might be something to think about. It certainly won't make you look out of place at an amusement park. However, they tend to check bags as you enter now so you'll have to keep that in mind also.

Animal_Mother556
08-14-11, 14:15
Solid points...thank you very much, sir.

Frailer
08-14-11, 14:23
Yet another advantage to appendix carry. If you're seated it's darned near impossible to dislodge the firearm.

CaptainDooley
08-14-11, 14:44
WRONG. In Texas, while George Bush was governor, he signed into law an addition that says that amusement parks, churches, and hospitals all have to post 30.06 if they don't want CHL holders carrying - just like everyone else.

In Tx, if the place is open 180 days or more in a year, you cannot carry into an amusement park....

CLHC
08-14-11, 15:25
Speaking of CCW[ing] in an amusement park and on rides; just wondering if possible to do so inside one of those indoor skydiving tubes? <-----<<< (Probably not a sound idea eh?)

SteveL
08-14-11, 15:31
Probably not.

Animal_Mother556
08-14-11, 15:32
Yet another advantage to appendix carry. If you're seated it's darned near impossible to dislodge the firearm.

Yet another DISadvantage to being fat...too much gut for appendix carry. Poop. Maybe time for me to rethink my health habits...again.

Ed L.
08-14-11, 18:30
I'm all for carrying anywhere where you can pull it off, and I'm sure with a good holster the gun wouldn't go flying, but I'm thinking of a busy day at Disney, for example, and wondering if there's any situation where you could actually get a clean shot with a good backdrop. Just something else to think about.

It is not so much in the park or the mall, but in the parking lot where you have to be concerned. What was that state fair or something where they had issues with flash mobs attacking people.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-14-11, 20:06
I was just at Six Flags Magic Mtn in LA and was thinking the same thing. On the "X2" ride, it whipped us around in every way and had a seat that would not have retained a loose firearm. I cant imagine having to search underneath the roller coaster with security for my glock that fell 100 feet. I wont be packing at parks, although I doubt many of them allow it.

theblackknight
08-14-11, 20:23
Ive rode many carnie rides with my M&P9 in a MTAC. It was tucked in with a undershirt tho.no problems

RagweedZulu
08-14-11, 22:04
I've carried either a Glock 27 or Smith 642 every time I've been at Disneyland since becoming LE 12 years ago. They only check contents of bags at the gate, not your person.

Once I went up to the security table with a Maxpedition Fatboy over my shoulder. The Disney TSA screener saw a Gerber Multi-Tool in a pouch and said "You can't bring THAT in here!". She never saw the 642 in the back zippered pocket. I had to run back to the hotel and ditch the Gerber.

In MY neck of the woods, CCW at county/state fairs is mandatory. The demographic that shows u p to these things makes a Raiders game look like a Girl Scout meeting. True, there's the problem of the crowds, but if you were to work that into your defensive / EE plan, I'd rather be armed than not. BTW, carrying a collapsible baton is even more practical, since you are more likely to get into a thumping than a truly life threatening situation. Look at the poor bastard who was nearly killed by two punks at a Dodgers game in LA. What a lovely environment we operate in out here. Carry ALWAYS.

dirvo85
08-14-11, 22:35
I have carried my m&p 9c in a supertuck at the state fair with no problems on the rides. I love rides! I will try my Kel-tec PF9 in a pocket holster this year but I am also not worried. With IWB there is more than enough retention to risk the weapon falling out. I think pocket carry will be a non issue because I've never lost a wallet or car keys in years past.

Moose-Knuckle
08-15-11, 03:18
What was that state fair or something where they had issues with flash mobs attacking people.

Exactly the point that I was going to bring up.

'Beat Whitey Night': Racism suspected in Iowa State Fair attacks
http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=213223

Race War At Wisconsin State Fair
http://www.businessinsider.com/race-war-heats-up-at-wisconsin-state-fairwait-the-race-war-2011-8

Mike169
08-15-11, 08:03
Went to a local amusement park with my girlfriend/squeeze the other day. On the way there I kept trying to imagine myself on the different rides, and thinking, "will my CCW rig handle that without my gun falling out??" I ultimately decided that it wasn't worth the risk so I left the full-sized Kimber and Crossbreed in the car. Now, while I was on the rides, I did try to pay attention to g-forces and "what's going where" on my body. I THINK I would have been okay to carry it.

Anyone else have any experiences carrying in a fun-park? Bad or good?

Thanks

Most are completely no-ccw, even to law enforcement, despite LEOSA.

It is best to call and ask before you go, the call isn't anywhere near as awkward as you might think, I'm sure they field these calls daily.

Mauser KAR98K
08-15-11, 10:49
If permeable by law, i would, but would avoid certain rides.

08-15-11, 11:13
Just because a park offers rides that might dislodge your CCW doesn't mean you have to ride them. Some will leave you soaking wet too, so consider that as well. I used to live in FL and I thought carrying in a theme park was illegal [at least in FL]?

DocGKR
08-15-11, 12:36
I absolutely despise carnivals, theme parks, and other such places--they offer absolutely nothing but fake thrills, crowds, and hucksters...there are numerous other venues and activities that are far more exciting, heartening, and inspiring for me to want to waste my limited time and finances.

Limey-
08-15-11, 13:01
Airweight j- frame in a pocket holster. I had my phone in holder fly off my belt while riding some rediculous ride at my 8 year old's behest. Lots of DB's amongst. The crowds and carnies. Airweight in a pocket holster is my always carry regardless gun and work BUG.

rkba01
08-15-11, 13:29

For Texas: http://www.txchia.org/txcarry.htm

This is kept up to date and accurate.

RagweedZulu
08-15-11, 21:09
I absolutely despise carnivals, theme parks, and other such places--they offer absolutely nothing but fake thrills, crowds, and hucksters...there are numerous other venues and activities that are far more exciting, heartening, and inspiring for me to want to waste my limited time and finances.

Aw c'mon Doc... Win me a goldfish or lose me forever!