PDA

View Full Version : Guess who bought a M&P today?

M4arc
11-02-07, 17:57
Does anyone want to guess who amongst us bought a M&P9 today?

I'll give you three guesses.

Jay Cunningham
11-02-07, 18:00
Anything to do with the rebate?

This is killing me...

Robb Jensen
11-02-07, 18:40
Does anyone want to guess who amongst us bought a M&P9 today?

I'll give you three guesses.

Some VBPD Sgt. ;)

John_Wayne777
11-02-07, 18:40
Well it can't be me since I already had the kool-aid a while back....and Hawkeye went back for seconds.....

Actually I'm kind of surprised that the broken striker issue didn't make me any madder than it did. I guess that's because Robb rode to my rescue....

Dport
11-02-07, 18:41
Your latest victim?

M4arc
11-02-07, 18:55
Some VBPD Sgt. ;)

YES

Your latest victim?

AND YES

:D

DrMark
11-02-07, 20:00
Does he have a cool first name?

RyanS
11-02-07, 20:02
YES

AND YES

Well at least it wasn't USMC03, therefore the sky isn't falling and dogs aren't sleeping with cats.

M4arc
11-02-07, 20:03
Does he have a cool first name?

As a matter of fact he does! ;)

MR.J
11-02-07, 20:41
I bought one yesterday.... but.. no one gives a crap about me or what i buy.:( :D

Hawkeye
11-02-07, 21:33
Cue Queen music......

:cool:

Robb Jensen
11-02-07, 21:39
Cue Queen music......

:cool:

Bohemian Rhapsody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irp8CNj9qBI) or We are the Champions (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sogKUx_q7ig)? ;)

Hawkeye
11-02-07, 21:43
Bohemian Rhapsody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irp8CNj9qBI) or We are the Champions (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sogKUx_q7ig)? ;)

Both... but right after Another one Bites the Dust (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMenB9Ywh2Q). :D

M4arc
11-02-07, 21:47
I'm not saying he's on the M&P bandwagon yet, he's only purchased one.

However, I fully expect to see a range report thread from him before the weekend is over. :p

ddemis
11-02-07, 22:03
I have never fired a or handled a S&W MP, how does it shoot and is it as good or comparable to a Glock.

Matt in AZ
11-03-07, 00:50
Does Senator Jim Webb post here?

Was he the M&P purchaser?

M4arc
11-03-07, 07:40
Does Senator Jim Webb post here?

Was he the M&P purchaser?

LOL! :D

I'm not aware of him posting here but I wouldn't be surprised. If he did I'm sure, in due time, I'd convince him that he needs an M&P like I've done to so many others ;)

M4arc
11-03-07, 14:05
It doesn't sound like we won this battle boys :(

DrMark
11-03-07, 14:15
It doesn't sound like we won this battle boys :(
He didn't like it, huh?

mark5pt56
11-03-07, 15:18
Well, The thing feels good in the hands. I tried all of the inserts, seem to like the medium the best. I like everything with the controls, ergonomics,etc.

Shot 100% with all mags, they work great, no issues.

The reset worked great, although faint, I go by felt travel, never short stroked it. To me and another shooter, the felt recoil is a tad more. I think the slide feels alittle heavier, could be me.

What I did notices was that it shoots high. I started at 5, 7, point of aim, point of impact. Went to 10, 1- 1 1/2" high, 15, 2-3 and at 25, 6. I was deliberate with the sight picture to insure all was correct and of course, the trigger control. I shot 300 rounds today, I wouldn't think there would be a "break in" maybe it will settle down. The high impact was verified by another shooter. I had to use a 6 o'clock hold on the plates at 25, otherwise, they went right over the top.

So far, I like it, just have to get the sights squared away. I can't say never, but I doubt it will replace my Glocks.

Mark

Hawkeye
11-03-07, 16:55
Interesting observation Mark. I found myself having the opposite issues. High with my Glocks, and dead on with my M&P's. Ditto the felt recoil. Seemed to me to be just a shade less muzzle rise on the M&P for me than on my Glocks. Could be one of those things that the M&P grip angle, etc. is just right for me, and the Glock angle and such better for you. Just another reason that I feel both are excellent weapons, and one should just go with which works best for him individually. Thats why its impossible to accurately answer when someone asks which is better, or which they should get, etc., etc...

mark5pt56
11-03-07, 17:06
Interesting observation Mark. I found myself having the opposite issues. High with my Glocks, and dead on with my M&P's. Ditto the felt recoil. Seemed to me to be just a shade less muzzle rise on the M&P for me than on my Glocks. Could be one of those things that the M&P grip angle, etc. is just right for me, and the Glock angle and such better for you. Just another reason that I feel both are excellent weapons, and one should just go with which works best for him individually. Thats why its impossible to accurately answer when someone asks which is better, or which they should get, etc., etc...

Different loads change things. I shot some 127 +p+ compared to the ball with my 17 and at 50 yards, a bit of difference on the plates. Center mass hold for the hot stuff vs. 6 with the ball. I didn't have enough 127 to shoot the M&P with it. I was 6-8"below 6 o'clock with the M&P at 50 to hit the plate.

M4arc
11-03-07, 17:30
I'll give yo $300 cash for it!

mark5pt56
11-03-07, 18:02
I'll give yo $300 cash for it!

Negatron Bra!

M4arc
11-03-07, 18:11
Negatron Bra!

$325

Come on, you know you don't like it...I'm helping you out...

DrMark
11-03-07, 18:35
Negatron Bra!

Marc's got both sides of the "evil influence" thing down pat!

Buy! Sell! Buy! Sell!

M4arc
11-03-07, 18:52
Marc's got both sides of the "evil influence" thing down pat!

Buy! Sell! Buy! Sell!

Who? Me? Noooooooooooo....

;)

mark5pt56
11-03-07, 21:46
I'll be shooting it some more on Tuesday. Going to try the large insert again. Although the 3 dot sights are ok, I may spray sight black to give me a clean outline. I was looking at the Warren's last week at BW when he was there for the IDPA match and really liked the plain black ones. The bar dots would be great for carry. Concerning the inserts, I would like the large minus the palm swell, I believe it gave more front to back area. I'm guessing since Hk has the interchangeable side panels, SW might add a other inserts for width adjustments.

Why am I typing this now-because I just lost my be-hind in Hold'em!

M4arc
11-04-07, 08:11
To me and another shooter, the felt recoil is a tad more. I think the slide feels alittle heavier, could be me.

I see what you're talking about. This morning I shot my M&P9 and G19 side by side and the M&P9 slide did feel slightly heavier. I noticed this the most when I shot the M&P after the G19 but it sorted of melted away by the time I got to the end of the magazine. I didn't notice it slowing up my follow up shots and since the M&P is so comfy I didn't have to readjust my grip like I constantly do with my G19.

mark5pt56
11-04-07, 17:53
You know I was looking at the sights again and what I noticed was if you line up the dots of the sights as if you drew a line through the center of the dots, the front sight is slightly lower than the rear(referring to the actual steel of the sights)

I reflected back and remember when we had the Novak's on our 59/69 series, the two didn't correspond. (the dots and the steel)

So, that will most likely be the cause. You see, I use the sight outline vs the dots. That's why I liked the Warren plain sights, the dots are to much of a distraction for me. I guess one day when I'm old, I may need them though.

I purposely didn't get the night sights since I planned to not keep the stock ones on it.

The transformation is reborn!:eek:

Mark

Robb Jensen
11-04-07, 18:00
You know I was looking at the sights again and what I noticed was if you line up the dots of the sights as if you drew a line through the center of the dots, the front sight is slightly lower than the rear(referring to the actual steel of the sights)

I reflected back and remember when we had the Novak's on our 59/69 series, the two didn't correspond. (the dots and the steel)

So, that will most likely be the cause. You see, I use the sight outline vs the dots. That's why I liked the Warren plain sights, the dots are to much of a distraction for me. I guess one day when I'm old, I may need them though.

I purposely didn't get the night sights since I planned to not keep the stock ones on it.

Mark

You mean you use the sights?...............'gamer'! j/k ;)

I took a spill today at the Fredericksburg match, didn't DQ (gun safely pointed down range) but landed on my right shoulder and hip (now pretty sore) but had a delta and a mike on the last target. I was in the air for the delta and mike was because I was outside the box and didn't take the shot. I guess I thought the Red Bull was suppose to give me wings, it didn't ! I landed on the Safariland holster which survived w/o even a scratch or scuff.

Hawkeye
11-04-07, 18:01
Mark, that would explain things a little. I have ran the factory front and a 10-8 rear on all mine from the get go.

mark5pt56
11-04-07, 18:15
You mean you use the sights?...............'gamer'! j/k ;)

I took a spill today at the Fredericksburg match, didn't DQ (gun safely pointed down range) but landed on my right shoulder and hip (now pretty sore) but had a delta and a mike on the last target. I was in the air for the delta and mike was because I was outside the box and didn't take the shot.
I guess I thought the Red Bull was suppose to give me wings, it didn't ! I landed on the Safariland holster which survived w/o even a scratch or scuff.

Falls onto the holster side can be painful. Sometimes, I think they cause more injuries than not, depends on the rig. I bet that RO, if he was paying attention to what mattered would've noticed a straight trigger finger.

Gotta switch to Rock Star's!

I hope you are ok for the Steel Challenge? NOt much movement there.

Mark

Robb Jensen
11-04-07, 18:18
Falls onto the holster side can be painful. Sometimes, I think they cause more injuries than not, depends on the rig. I bet that RO, if he was paying attention to what mattered would've noticed a straight trigger finger.

Mark

Yeah it was Jim Wilson running me and yes my boogerhook was out of the trigger guard. I'll be there for the Steel Challenge shooting Limited with my M&P9. I think I was trying to do a Phil Stader (right at the edge of control).........except he has 'less momentum' than me..........haha!

mark5pt56
11-04-07, 18:31
I wish they had time for a shooter to shoot more than one gun.

Does the texturing under the trigger guard bother you? Right where your strong hand's middle finger inner knuckle area will rest.

I may smooth that off.

mark5pt56
11-04-07, 18:33
Mark, that would explain things a little. I have ran the factory front and a 10-8 rear on all mine from the get go.

I have to check to see if BW's pro shop is going to carry the Warren's--or I can get Robb to install a set?:cool:

Robb Jensen
11-04-07, 18:33
I have to check to see if BW's pro shop is going to carry the Warren's--or I can get Robb to install a set? :cool:

I can get you a set.

Does the texturing under the trigger guard bother you? Right where your strong hand's middle finger inner knuckle area will rest.

I may smooth that off.

Not anymore I now callous from it now.

mark5pt56
11-04-07, 18:38
I can get you a set.

I'll be in touch with this--

Not anymore I now callous from it now.

I'm a wuss

M4arc
11-04-07, 19:09

Mark

Oh baby!!!

Hawkeye
11-04-07, 19:46

I may smooth that off.

Speaking of that. I am right handed, and on the right side of the grip, right in the area around the mag catch and where it curves around and under the trigger guard into the area you are referring to.... I smoothed out and rounded that area a little on all mine. Seemed a bit sharp in that area.

graffex
11-04-07, 20:07
I'm gonna be the next one to join the dark side. Soon as I get my medical situation squared away I'm gonna get a M&P 45. I must say all the hype you guys have put on it got me excited and when I finally got to shoot one a few months back I was understood. I don't have a .45 either so it will fit nicely into my toolbox next to my G17 :D

M4arc
11-04-07, 20:31
I'm gonna be the next one to join the dark side. Soon as I get my medical situation squared away I'm gonna get a M&P 45. I must say all the hype you guys have put on it got me excited and when I finally got to shoot one a few months back I was understood. I don't have a .45 either so it will fit nicely into my toolbox next to my G17 :D

<evil laugh>

mark5pt56
11-06-07, 17:57
I shot her some more today, only got a chance to do 50 rounds. After doing some more rapid fire, it does have less felt recoil.

I didn't intend to, but someone else was doing an off-duty qual at the day's end, and I said, "why not"

I was in The Armory the other night and noticed that the Blackhawk Serpa that fits the G21 was also marked M&P .45. I have a Safariland custom fit for the G17, which fits the M&P 9 pretty good.

Mark

M4arc
11-06-07, 18:11
I see you're coming around. ;)

mark5pt56
11-06-07, 18:28
I see you're coming around. ;)

What's up with that sig line?

I hope to shoot some more on Thursday and Friday.

DrMark
11-06-07, 18:37
What's up with that sig line?
He's moved from subtle to full-on M&P pimp!

M4arc
11-06-07, 18:41
He's moved from subtle to full-on M&P pimp!

You know it! Hey Doc, wanna shoot early Sunday morning?

mark5pt56
11-06-07, 19:10
I can't get there early Sunday, but maybe we can look at schedules next week?

M4arc
11-06-07, 19:29
I can't get there early Sunday, but maybe we can look at schedules next week?

I was asking Dr Mark because he lives close by the range but you're certainly welcome to go along too.

DrMark
11-06-07, 21:30
You know it! Hey Doc, wanna shoot early Sunday morning?
Hmmm... I'll talk it over with the wife (I'm usually helping get the kids ready for church) and shoot you a PM.

Robb Jensen
11-07-07, 05:26

Gotta switch to Rock Star's!

Mark

Here's a pic just before I fell over............I ran the stage in 9.91sec and fired 17 of the 18 rounds for the stage with 1 reload.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/Robbfalling.jpg

blackscot
11-07-07, 06:54
Mine's on layaway as of last Monday. Shall be joining you all soon.

BTW - Nice dive Robb.....

mark5pt56
11-07-07, 12:09
Here's a pic just before I fell over............I ran the stage in 9.91sec and fired 17 of the 18 rounds for the stage with 1 reload.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/Robbfalling.jpg

Dang! Course design or to much momentum?

Robb Jensen
11-07-07, 12:27
Dang! Course design or to much momentum?

I was just moving too fast............:D

Dport
11-07-07, 13:06
That picture makes me think of a movie. Like you're diving through the air firing all the while, like Jackie Chan or something.:D

mark5pt56
11-07-07, 17:50
I was just moving too fast............:D

Cool pic--notice the brass just clearing the e port?

blackscot
11-08-07, 08:23
......like Jackie Chan or something.:D

OK, I see the resemblence now. Looks just like him.:D

mark5pt56
11-09-07, 18:51
Shot her some more the last two days, running great! Has digested 115 gr ball(Winchester and Federal) 124 WW NATO and 127 +p+ I can really tell the difference with the hot stuff. 750 rds, 100%

Hawkeye
11-09-07, 18:57
;) :D

M4arc
11-10-07, 10:13
Shot her some more the last two days, running great! Has digested 115 gr ball(Winchester and Federal) 124 WW NATO and 127 +p+ I can really tell the difference with the hot stuff. 750 rds, 100%

Oh yeah, we've got you now! :p

dialM4murder
11-10-07, 11:34
How many rounds do you guys have through your M&P 9's?

So far mine has been 100% out of the box. Ive got a MPH prefix. Im gonna take it to TDI this spring to test it for real. Shooting 100 rounds here and there at the range doesnt prove anything. I wanna see how mine performs after 1k rounds in a couple days. :D

You guys who shoot yours more than me, how are they holding up? I just bought a Glock 19 2 days ago also BTW.

M4arc
11-10-07, 12:43
I only have a little over 1300 rounds through mine at this point.

Plenty of guys like subzero, NCPatrolAR and others have ran theirs through several classes this year without issue.

MR.J
11-10-07, 15:04
How many rounds do you guys have through your M&P 9's?

So far mine has been 100% out of the box. Ive got a MPH prefix. Im gonna take it to TDI this spring to test it for real. Shooting 100 rounds here and there at the range doesnt prove anything. I wanna see how mine performs after 1k rounds in a couple days. :D

You guys who shoot yours more than me, how are they holding up? I just bought a Glock 19 2 days ago also BTW.
1500 Rounds in one range trip,while it was hot, it didnt miss a beat and worked 100%.:cool:

dialM4murder
11-10-07, 15:09
1500 Rounds in one range trip,while it was hot, it didnt miss a beat and worked 100%.:cool:

Excellent.

blackscot
11-13-07, 07:43
1500 Rounds in one range trip.....

Dayyam ! ! ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

NCPatrolAR
11-13-07, 12:04
Plenty of guys like subzero, NCPatrolAR and others have ran theirs through several classes this year without issue.

JUst finished the Vickers/Hackathorn Lowlight class in Ohio with my MP9. Had a TLR-1 attached to it and there were zero malfunctions (once again).

mark5pt56
11-16-07, 13:43
Just did a chilly range trip, man, when I finished and called the range cold, had to chuckle, cold is right.

I tried a trick, took a large hot hands pack and placed it under my right sleeve by the wrist. It really helped alot keeping the wrist and hand warm. I didn't use gloves today and wanted to keep the dexterity level up(pretty tuff if the hand/wrist gets cold).

To somewhat test how I might like the plain rear sight and fiber optic front, I hit the stock rear with sight black. That really helped diminish the 3 dot distraction and helped me pick up the front quicker with a better sight picture.

I just have to decide on what set to get. Gotm4 will be at the Steel Challenge this Sunday so I can check out his set up to help.

300 more rounds through the smoke wagon and doing great!

Mark

subzero
11-16-07, 15:05
I just have to decide on what set to get. Gotm4 will be at the Steel Challenge this Sunday so I can check out his set up to help.

I'm going to do a sight swap on my M&P 9 tonight and shoot it at Bob's tomorrow, so I can use it at the Steel Challenge match also. I'm not looking forward to punching out the front, but I think a slightly taller front sight will help with the POA/POI issue I'm having.

mark5pt56
11-16-07, 16:18
I'm going to do a sight swap on my M&P 9 tonight and shoot it at Bob's tomorrow, so I can use it at the Steel Challenge match also. I'm not looking forward to punching out the front, but I think a slightly taller front sight will help with the POA/POI issue I'm having.

Is yours hitting high as well?

subzero
11-16-07, 16:26
Is yours hitting high as well?

Yes, approx 5" at 25. I have blackened out the dots for a while, but I think the overall shape of the Novaks plays tricks with my eyes. The measurements I just took on my replacement rears make me think it won't be getting better though. The Burwell and Warren rears are both slightly higher than the stocker according to my caliper. I wonder if it's my eyes or the gun. My eyes suck.

Regardless, a taller front is going on. Just debating whether to put on fiber or the plain serrated.

mark5pt56
11-16-07, 17:56
Yes, approx 5" at 25. I have blackened out the dots for a while, but I think the overall shape of the Novaks plays tricks with my eyes. The measurements I just took on my replacement rears make me think it won't be getting better though. The Burwell and Warren rears are both slightly higher than the stocker according to my caliper. I wonder if it's my eyes or the gun. My eyes suck.

Regardless, a taller front is going on. Just debating whether to put on fiber or the plain serrated.

There's a thread on mp-pistol when a member came up with a formula for getting a front made from Speed Shooter Specialties. His ended up being .185, was hitting 3" high at 25 according to him.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=8417&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

subzero
11-16-07, 18:21
I just happened to run across that thread myself. I have a couple of .160" and .180" fronts from Speed Shooters Specialties because I knew I wanted a new front (serrated) and I figured a taller one would cure my POI problem. It's on now, along with a Warren rear and I'll be heading over to Lynnhaven tomorrow to check the 25 yd zero.

BTW, the Warren notch is HUGE. Why didn't anyone tell me? And I finally get the whole U notch thing after a year of not understanding. Had to see it on the gun. I only wish it were serrated. It may be (thanks to this here 40 lpi file) if the flat rear proves problematic.

mark5pt56
11-16-07, 18:34
What's the front sight's width? I wonder if a night sight can be had in .180 height?

subzero
11-16-07, 18:54
The new sight is .125" wide. The stock FS measured .127" for me, so figure the new one is stock width.

mark5pt56
11-16-07, 20:22
Let us know how that new sight works out----

subzero
11-17-07, 19:36
Shot 200 rds at Lynnhaven today. The sights didn't shoot loose which was a good thing. The Warren rear being taller did mean the taller front didn't have as much of an effect as I'd like, but I was only about an inch high at 25. I'll shoot it off of a bench at 25 next to get exact distances for a new front sight height.

Not sure how much I like the Warren sight. The rear notch is so big...

Looking forward to the Steel Challenge match tomorrow. It'll be my first match shooting an M&P.

M4arc
11-17-07, 20:10
For those of you shooting your M&Ps at the BW Steel Match tomorrow; we expect some performance reviews tomorrow evening.

USMC03
01-01-08, 19:13
Well at least it wasn't USMC03, therefore the sky isn't falling and dogs aren't sleeping with cats.

Well, stranger things have happened.......The sky may fall and dogs may be sleeping with cats within the next week or two, it all depends on how fast UPS gets the shipment from Ohio to my FFL. :D

-Jeff

Hawkeye
01-01-08, 21:14
Like I said elsewhere...I am packing to head for the hills. The apocolypse is surely at hand.

RyanS
01-01-08, 22:45
:eek:

Shipment. Sounds big.