PDA

View Full Version : High speed rail to nowhere...43 billion...

Belmont31R
08-14-11, 15:21
This is unbelievable. Not just the fact they are spending 43 billion on a high speed rail but because the route. There nothing there but fields. I guess its eventually going to link LA with SF but theres already passenger rails that run along the coast. This goes way into the central valley where theres even less.

Van Ark also said he expects the estimated total cost of the project, originally pegged at $43 billion, to rise.

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2011/08/09/1998444/ap-exclusive-calif-high-speed.html#ixzz1V1dbmIdN

They built a "light rail" system here, long delays in getting it running, way over budget, and it goes through my city without a stop. If I wanted to go to Austin I have to drive 15 minutes the opposite way to get to the station, and then wait for the train, and then wait for it to take me a station. Then get on a bus close to my destination. Or I can hop in my car and be anywhere in Austin in 30 minutes.

And I don't think Ive ever read of a major government project being UNDER budget. Why are they always OVER budget, and usually by quite a bit.

Another WASTE of tax payer dollars. If we ever want to get back to fiscal health shit like this cannot happen. There is no way this thing will ever be profitable. Just like in Europe the rail lines are heavily subsidized. AMTRAK is subsidized.

Just for shits and giggles I looked up Southwest Airlines flights from LAX to SFO (same start and end cities as this rail line), and its 85 dollars for a ROUND TRIP ticket. I think its maybe an hour thirty long flight. Let me guess a train ticket each way will be more expensive...?

Just for shits and giggles I looked up AMTRAK LA to SF on the same dates I checked SW Airlines:

14 Coast Starlight

Departs: 10:20 AM
Mon Sep 12 2011
Los Angeles, CA - Union Station (LAX)
Arrives: 9:32 PM
Mon Sep 12 2011
Oakland, CA - Jack London Sq (OKJ)
Duration: 11 hr, 12 min
Amenities

1 Reserved Coach Seat
1 Lower Level Coach Seat

6014 Bus

Departs: 9:45 PM
Mon Sep 12 2011
Oakland, CA - Jack London Sq (OKJ)
Arrives: 10:25 PM
Mon Sep 12 2011
San Francisco, CA - Fisherman's Wharf (SFW)
Duration: 0 hr, 40 min

$86 and takes 10X as long....:rolleyes:

Moose-Knuckle
08-15-11, 03:36
This is progress.

Mind numbing isn't? :suicide:

VooDoo6Actual
08-15-11, 08:47
anybody got a hammer ?

Irish
08-15-11, 11:12
Ruh-dick-you-luss! The only train system that has ever been profitable in American history is the Great Northern Railway. Guess what, it was privately funded and received no government moneys. Every other railroad, that I know about, has been held afloat with tax dollars. Google the Great Northern Railway to learn some interesting U.S. history.