PDA

View Full Version : Trade or re-configure "SPR"

DacoRoman
08-14-11, 17:41
Guys, please give me your input.

I've had this Noveske SPR set up for more than 2 years, with only 60 rounds or so through it.

Please forgive the crappy picture, but I think you'll get the idea:
Noveske lower, with E-Mod stock
VLTOR VIS monolithic upper
18 inch Noveske stainless steel barrel with a mid-length gas system

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k572/BCristianJ/photo-15.jpg

I simply lost interest in having an "SPR" type of rifle, and instead of forking out money for a nice NF scope for it, I am now interested in putting these efforts into a general purpose/home defense carbine set up.

What I want is essentially a KISS carbine with this basic set up:
- midlength gas system
- possibly a free float tube, maybe a DD M4V3 type set up
- the rifle would have either a RDS or a low power variable on it

The basic question is this:
- Even though I think that the VIS is too wide, and I would prefer a FSB, should I reconfigure it, and have it re-barreled maybe with a DD CHF lightweight barrel (to make up for the weight of the VIS), for a pseudo V5 type of set up, or should I just trade it for something else.

Actually, does anyone know what the weight difference would be for a VLTOR VIS rifle length upper vs the DD V5 rail set up?

For the lower I'm thinking of something along these lines:
- maybe change the E-Mod to something lighter
- replace the Geissele SSA with a single stage GI trigger for extra robustness and KISS approach

Or, for simplicity's sake I can just trade the whole package at a store that I know prefers complete rifles, and go for either a complete DD M4V3, or go totally KISS and get a 6720 (I realize this would stray from my midlength gas spec.).

What do you guys think?

richdkim77
08-14-11, 17:47
Why not just keep the lower, and buy another upper that fits the criteria you were looking for. If my Noveske light carbine upper was mid-length gas, I'd totally think about a trade with you.

Submariner
08-14-11, 18:12
Many regret selling guns after the fact. You have a quality upper. You may, someday, perceive a need for an SPR. Why not buy another upper which meets your requirements for GP/HD?

In this market, you may not get anywhere near what you put into the gun. Is this an issue?

Added: Recently you posted this.

Great debate gentlemen. I'm a bit of a simpleton and I still only have irons on my 6920, and I haven't gone beyond a self debate to deciding if I want to put an aimpoint, a TR24 or an ACOG on my rifle that fills the role of essentially a general purpose/homestead defense carbine, so I'm watching this debate carefully.

What training do you have? How much do you shoot in a year?

nimdabew
08-14-11, 18:27
I think that you should invest the cash you are going to spend on anew rifle and just buy ammo and go shoot the thing. 60 rounds in 2 years is almost nothing. I shot 300 rounds in one match Yesterday alone and that is a low round count match that is held every month. Shoot more boolits.

RD62
08-14-11, 18:40
I think your setup is pretty HD ready at present.

At most I'd swap the 18" stainless barrel for the 16" middy you are looking for. (Noveske, DD, or Bravo should all work very well).

I love my EMOD on my 16" middy and have even considered swapping the CTR on my SBR for another EMOD or maybe an IMOD, so I'd leave that alone.

Add a white light and Aimpoint and you should be GTG.

rob_s
08-14-11, 19:06
Do you have other ARs now? What is your level of training and experience with the platform?

On the surface, I think you're on the right track. Get away from the nappy-time rifle and get something you'll use, or can use, for training and a wider variety of pursuits.

C-grunt
08-14-11, 19:23
Hell I got a N4 middy that I have been contemplating doing the exact opposite with. If you don't like the gun them get something else if you can afford to swing the extra cash.

Submariner
08-14-11, 20:06
Context is everything.
Just some thoughts from a civilian that's been to a few courses, including two with Paul Howe.

Did you ask Paul Howe's opinion? It is probably worth more than those who have responded.

Please share with us his thoughts. (Or send him a link to the thread and ask him to post.)

mark5pt56
08-14-11, 20:15
From the beating you may take selling this or parts of it, I would

Sell or trade for an Imod or LMT/Crane, although the LMT will weigh nearly the same.

Have ADCO take 2"'s off the barrel and run it as is.

I'm guessing you want a lighter gun? You can run that Noveske hard without worries.

If weight isn't the hang up, I see nothing wrong with it as is. You would have a bit more inherent accuracy with that barrel anyhow for the longer ranges. And I would say the the SSA will outlast any "GI" FCG, regardless who made it.

MistWolf
08-14-11, 20:40
Compare what you have to what you want. Does your current rifle need just a few changes or a major overhaul? The monolithic upper is freefloat. Would a shorter, lighter profile barrel give you what you want? If yes, look into selling or swapping the barrel or just having it cut & re-profiled.

In the end, only you can decide if it's best to sell & start with a completely new carbine or modify what you have. Either way you won't get what you want until you go get it

duece71
08-14-11, 20:45
BCM midlength 16 upper with MOE handguards. Go the IWC route for sling and a light mount. I wouldn't buy a whole new gun, just the upper. Like someone said above, you may want an SPR in the future and Noveske is very nice. MHO.

djegators
08-14-11, 20:56
You certainly have a nice, quality setup. Good chance you would someday regret selling it, especially since you won't likely get out of it what you put into it. If you can swing it, just buy a nice base model like the Colt you mentioned or the BCM mentioned above, and hang on to this SPR for a later date. I'd say what you need most is to burn off a few cases of ammo...

DacoRoman
08-14-11, 21:58
Thanks for the responses guys.

Firstly I do have another AR, actually 2 others, but one is an HBAR A2 Bushmaster post ban that I bought long ago just before the 2nd California ban (was a CA resident at the time), that I've been meaning to trade in for something else/good ever since I learned what makes for a good AR some 3-4 years ago, but have never gotten around to it.

My go to AR has been my 6920. Haven't had formal training in a while; most recently I did take a carbine course with Paul Howe in late 2009, and I ran the 6920 stock, with Larue BUIS's. I've been shooting it in that config. ever since. I am new to my area here, but when I find a good range that allows me to shoot drills, I plan to shoot 100 rounds of carbine per week (+ 200 rounds of handgun) or every other week, which is pretty much my norm (I realize that many of you will be underwhelmed at that round count :D).

I have thought about just buying another upper, but I've put myself on a stringent budget and actually I'm trying to pare down my stuff to two G19's and two general purpose AR's, and focus my funds on training, and if I can, I'd like to sell/trade in the superfluous stuff to fund:
- an upper that is more practical for shooting defensive drills from 7 - 100yards, and periodically up to 200-300 yards if the range will allow it.
- an RDS (aimpoint PRO most likely) for the 6920
- a 1-4 variable for the other (new) upper
- a white light

To answer another question above, yes, the reason I am not crazy about just running the gun as is, is due to the weight, it is pretty heavy. I have thought about sending the barrel to ADCO to cut it down to 16", and maybe dimple it (I know many are not fans of this), but instead of hacking into the thing, I was thinking of just trading for something that is more practical for me, or at least changing the barrel. But then it wouldn't have a FSB which I would like on a defensive rifle, and the VIS is a bit wide and a bit heavy for running a lot of defensive drills with, taking to a class (I am long due for another class) etc.

The easiest thing though like many if not most of you are alluding, would be to just get another upper, but instead of keeping the SPR in a box, a part of me wants to trade it in towards something I can use like an RDS, etc…but like you guys say, I'll get raped in the process...

DacoRoman
08-14-11, 22:01
Did you ask Paul Howe's opinion? It is probably worth more than those who have responded.

Please share with us his thoughts. (Or send him a link to the thread and ask him to post.)

Not a bad idea, I'll email him tomorrow, and if he answers, with his permission, I'll share his response in this thread.

DacoRoman
08-14-11, 22:11
And I would say the the SSA will outlast any "GI" FCG, regardless who made it.

hmmm...I never thought of it that way..maybe I should put an SSA in the 6920, but I'm thinking either way I need a similar feeling trigger in both rifles so I'm not breaking shots prematurely when I go from the GI to the SSA :D, like when I go from my Glocks to my 1911 :D

bp7178
08-14-11, 22:14
I would just get the barrel turned down to a 16".

The market value of a 18" with a mid-length gas system probably isn't all that high. I think all of Noveske's current 18" offerings use the longer intermediate gas system.

djegators
08-14-11, 22:14
That clears a lot up...you have already, in my opinion, what you seem to be seeking, in the 6920. If you'd rather have the cash for other things, then I see trading or selling the Noveske...but if it were me, I'd put an Aimpoint on the Colt and have at it. Out of the three ARs, the Bushmaster would be the first to go, or at least the upper off of it...maybe a AWB state resident will pay something for it.

CCK
08-14-11, 22:40
I'd liquidate the BM immediately.

Keep in mind on either gun you sell, you will realize more money out of them if you sell to the end user (via the Marketplace here or EE elsewhere) than if you sell to a dealer. Even if on trade.

Parting out the items you don't want seems like the way to go to me.

I'm sure there is a market for the upper complete or as a VIS and a barrel.

And the stock you should be able to get 2/3 of what you paid out of it.

Chris

rob_s
08-15-11, 05:06
While I'm all in favor of anyone selling off an "SPR", with the additional information you've provided it strikes me that you could sell the BM and come up with the cash to tweak the 6920 that you already have.

Although while your last post cleared up some things, it also made your goals here a little less clear.

It sounds to me like part of the getting rid of this rifle is to simply get rid or it which, having just recently moved myself, I can sympathize with. IMO a lot of this guns & gear shit is a major distraction (I know, ironic coming from me) and I fully support your goal of two pistols and two rifles. I tried to do that once too and I see nothing wrong with it.

My guess is that you should be able to sell the SPR and get another 6920 at least, but probably not enough for a 6920 and two optics, which is where I'd want to be were I in your shoes. You might get another 6920 and an Aimpoint PRO for your current 6920, which wouldn't be a bad pair having a primary with an optic and a backup with irons.

I also wouldn't let myself be swayed by any of the "you'll always regret selling any gun" nonsense. I've bought and sold tons of guns, some I regret, some I don't. But I wouldn't trade what I learned in the process for any stupid hunk of metal/wood/plastic sitting in a safe collecting dust.

DacoRoman
08-15-11, 18:02
Regarding having the barrel shortened, I will consider this, and just turn it into an "Afghan" style rifle...and gasp maybe have the barrel dimpled. Is ADCO the best purveyor of such services (still on the fence about the dimpling)?

I will definitely trade in that BM ASAP, and most probably a USP and I'm hoping to have enough cash for an Aimpoint Pro and a white light to set up the 6920.

As far as clarifying my goals go, basically I want to:
- kit up my 6920 as per above, and
- have a second basic AR, give or take a free float tube, with a 1-4 variable, for classes/defense/"do it all"

Thinking about this maybe having the 18" profile turned down to 16" and calling it a day may be the best solution, the Noveske barrel ought to last me what, around 10-15000 rounds? I'll probably be shooting 2400-4800 rounds per year and at least half of those will be through the 6920 most likely so the Noveske barrel ought to last at least 3-5 years, if not more.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts guys, right now it has boiled down to:
- keep it and turn it into an "Afghan", vs
- sell it to fund another 6920/70 + some money for something like a TR24, vs
- sell the upper and get a DD M4V3 upper…

maybe I'll start flipping some coins.

bp7178
08-15-11, 18:44
In Noveske terms, the Afgan is 14.5" and the Recon is 16".

If you know what muzzle device you want, the 14.5" might not be a bad idea. Before doing that though, I would call Noveske and ask if they see any problems with it, as they may use different size gas ports.

With the VIS, you are pretty much married to that rail, so the only consideration is knowing what muzzle device you want.

IMO, the advantage of going the 16" route over the 14.5", is not having to deal with pinned and welded parts. You're free to do what you want with it.

I've been looking into dimpled barrels, without a doubt a guy named Marvin does the best looking work by far. You would have to do some searching, but you should easily see what I'm talking about.

MistWolf
08-15-11, 19:00
Instead of dimpling, why not simply have the barrel turned to a slimmer profile? It would probably cost less