PDA

View Full Version : Online videos of basic manipulations

rob_s
08-14-11, 18:01
I'm looking for some links to online videos showing basic AR manipulations and how to do them. I'm hoping to find, all from one source:

load
unload
safety
bolt release
charging handle
emergency reload
tactical reload

Something from a credible, known, source would be best.

jenrick
08-14-11, 23:51
Paul Howe's Tac Rifle video from Panteao covers almost all of those. About the only thing that's not in there is an emergency reload.

http://www.panteaoproductions.com/instructors/paul-howe

$17 gets you access to that and a ton of other good videos (Travis Haley, Bobby Vogel, Louis Awerbuck coming soon). I've been very happy with my membership.

-Jenrick

rob_s
08-15-11, 04:54
Can't be pay. This is for new shooters, and they aren't going to shell out. I can't blame them, I'm not going to shell out either.

photosniper
08-15-11, 07:20
Why don't you just do it yourself Rob? Easy enough to shoot and put on Youtube

Failure2Stop
08-15-11, 12:41
Why don't you just do it yourself Rob? Easy enough to shoot and put on Youtube

I think the point is to not have to.
It's a lot easier to find them and refer people to it than have to go through several takes, editing, uploading, and then having to listen to everybody picking it apart.

As it is, those that seem eager to share their knowledge are not always the ones I want to turn new shooters toward. It would be nice if someone with the will, skill, and competance to do it would.

rob_s
08-15-11, 12:56
I think the point is to not have to.
It's a lot easier to find them and refer people to it than have to go through several takes, editing, uploading, and then having to listen to everybody picking it apart.

As it is, those that seem eager to share their knowledge are not always the ones I want to turn new shooters toward. It would be nice if someone with the will, skill, and competance to do it would.

Yes, exactly. I'd also like to be able to say "go here and watch this guy" rather than "go here and watch me". Would be nice if the person/site carried some amount of name recognition but not a requirement.

tb-av
08-15-11, 13:50
Rob the problem is 80% of free stuff is done by people that....

a. can't teach
c. can't teach and want to be on youtube
c. can teach but really like to take a lot of time talking about other than the subject
d. can teach but their YT offerings are leaders to their clinics or videos.

Basically many 10min YT videos have maybe 1min of content.

So a user has to watch 45 minutes of YT to figure how to put a magazine in.

If you don't want to do it yourself, you might want to PM Surf. He actually does a very good job. Even his three videos on pistol grip do not seem long because he is teaching the why, why not, and how.

He is set up to record videos, knows what he is doing, and would probably be happy to do that and simply add to his other videos ( although I certainly am not speaking for him in that regard ).

Anyway,,, he's an M4C member, might be the easiest way to get what you want.

rob_s
08-15-11, 13:59
tb that's not a bad idea, and I agree with your point.

I may yet do them myself and keep them private only to be shared with the people I need to have see them.

Surf
08-15-11, 23:34
First a quick disclaimer - I am not implying anything in regards to my skill level, teaching ability, or even my credentials. Video can speak for itself with shooting skills (not claiming to be the best by any means) but the ability to teach, or verification of credentials is another thing. Of course when I chose to provide info I am easily verified as to who I am and who / what I teach and my actual paper creds, but even though I put out a lot on the www I avoid personal info.

If you chose to do your own video's here is my experience, which is similar to what you are thinking about doing. My youtube page started just to help a relative and his shooting club in another state. It was all private at first but it grew too much and went public since I was limited on how many could easily view the video's. Still some stuff is private and/or unlisted. I had never intended to do basic fundamentals stuff on youtube, but just show some drills and basic armoring / smithing work for certain people mentioned above. But since my video's have gone public, I have definitely been hit up for A LOT of requests for doing video's on many topics, but as mentioned by F2S time is the issue. Even though my video's are a basic, turn the camera on and roll, with no or almost no retakes and windows movie maker, doing something a bit more polished takes time and effort. Heck I have raw video from weeks or months ago that hasn't been put together yet.

Having said the above, the fundamentals or the topics you bring up is something that I have mulled over recently and have on the back burner. I had intended to do something along the lines of what you speak to be a part of my groups FB page and not the youtube channel as I can more easily control the content and who can view what. Not saying that I might fit the bill for what you want out of the person doing the video's and you might just say, "Screw Surf and his crazy methodology", but if I do ever get to doing such a thing I would not have a problem with you pointing people towards the FB page and the video's. Anything I do for FB or any other page that I come up with, will be an attempt to do something a bit more polished and maybe having participation from other guys from my training staff, if they chose to do it. Everything else will be on the youtube channel.

I agree with what tb-av and F2S mentions in their posts. Also the length can be an issue, even with my video's, which I am trying to cut down on. Probably because I don't have any scripts or anything really planned, just the topic in mind and I turn on camera and roll. There are a couple types of race car drivers. There are those who want to drive the race car but could care less what makes it run and there are those who want to know every nut and bolt AND want to drive it. I am the latter and it reflects in my video's. Definitely going to work on a bit more video brevity on the FB stuff if it happens. My posts will still be mini-novels at times like this one. :p

While I have been told I could make money in the private sector and even off videos, it is not my intent, nor is the private sector my source of income and I get nothing for it. I love the public shooting community, so I do these video's because I genuinely want to support and grow the community as a whole. It is my way to contribute. But as F2S mentions it becomes a hassle dealing with not just the actual video stuff, but dealing with the idiots. Granted I am lucky and have only run into a few, but it is still annoying especially when you are doing it for nothing. It actually costs me time and money but I enjoy helping people. I think you might understand what that is all about and how thankless it can seem at times. :)

thopkins22
08-15-11, 23:46
I don't know how that what you're looking for exists...at least not to the standards that I've learned you would like. Buy the aforementioned video and loan it holding the full retail value of the dvd as collateral.

As far as a pre-existing turnkey solution I don't think you're going to find one without either paying for it, doing it yourself, or convincing someone to do it as a public service.

If you do decide to do it yourself, I don't think you'd need to keep it private. There are ways to keep your identity relatively secret without coming across as a radical or looking unprofessional. You can also moderate/turn off comments entirely so as to not constantly feel as though you're being unfairly judged by a juvenile audience.

Surf's videos are excellent by the way...particularly the armoring ones.

TyrTrainingGroup
08-20-11, 12:04
I agree with Surf. I appreciate your videos brother, keep up the good work.

I do these video's because I genuinely want to support and grow the community as a whole. It is my way to contribute...... It actually costs me time and money but I enjoy helping people.

I started making a few videos for some similar reasons, You might also find a nugget or two on my channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/TyrTrainingGroup

Shawn.L
08-20-11, 12:17
tb that's not a bad idea, and I agree with your point.

I may yet do them myself and keep them private only to be shared with the people I need to have see them.

You can upload Videos to YT as "unlisted" in which case someone needs the link in order to view the video.

That way you can make said viseos, upload them, and only share the links or show the video to those you want to see it.

;)