PDA

View Full Version : Hornady TAP FPD 124gr 9mm ammo

viperashes
08-14-11, 20:53
I did a search and only came up with results relating to 5.56 TAP ammo. I'm have pretty limited internet access with NIPR and can't find anything from anywhere I have access to. I've read and re-read DocGKR's list of proven duty ammo, done a site search here and was just curious as to if there were any particular reasons why it isn't concidered an acceptable duty/carry load.

KhanRad
08-14-11, 21:06
Going out on a limb here, but Hornady has made some pretty proven rifle loads. So they do understand what it takes to make quality, good performing ammunition. Their defensive handgun ammo isn't as wide spread as the competition, so you don't see many agencies using it in general. If in doubt, 124gr is a pretty good general purpose 9mm bullet weight which tends to offer the best all around performance.

viperashes
08-14-11, 21:24
Going out on a limb here, but Hornady has made some pretty proven rifle loads. So they do understand what it takes to make quality, good performing ammunition. Their defensive handgun ammo isn't as wide spread as the competition, so you don't see many agencies using it in general. If in doubt, 124gr is a pretty good general purpose 9mm bullet weight which tends to offer the best all around performance.

That was kind of what I was thinking. I haven't heard anything inherently "bad" about it, I just hadn't heard anything good about it either. I picked up a few boxes that I plan on testing when I get home in September. I have some old windshields, sheetrock, and cinderblocks that I plan on shooting through to "put it through the ringer." I was just curious as to if anyone had any insight.

Sensei
08-14-11, 22:57
Most of the Hornady handgun ammo has failed to live up to expectations due to bullet design leading to poor expansion through common barriers. Although I'm not sure about this particular load, I'd stick to the ones Dr Roberts' list.

KhanRad
08-14-11, 23:06
Good to know.

tpd223
08-15-11, 22:51
Its likely the best of the old school JHPs, but it commonly fails to expand in heavy clothing tests IIRC.

DocGKR
08-16-11, 00:56
Bingo!

viperashes
08-16-11, 01:08
Thanks for the clarification gents. Much appreciated.

tpd223
08-16-11, 01:13
I had a bunch of that load that was given to me for testing, I found it was very accurate from my guns, the XTP bullet is actually well known for accuracy and is often used by professional shooters due to this.

I also found it to be a good field load, accurate, low recoil, knocks the crap out of coyotes and other varmints.

I'd carry it if I couldn't get my preferred Gold Dot/Ranger-T/DPX/HST loads for some reason.

viperashes
08-16-11, 04:02
I've got two boxes each of GD +P+ and Ranger-T +P loads. I just have a couple of boxes of Hornady FPD that I bought to try out and had been looking for information on it.