PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Pro + 3XMag or Trijicon Accupoint TR24G

ntstambo2
08-15-11, 11:58
I'm trying to decide which one to use here on a new RFB rifle (.308 bullpup) that I just ordered. The RFB has no sights so you need to purchase something. I have an Aimpoint Pro (stock mount) already that I could toss on it and was thinking of getting the magnifier....or a TR24. The TR is pretty quick on 1X but no where as quick as the Aimpoint. I plan on doing some hog hunting with the gun, but otherwise I would be using magnification more than half the time. I've never used a magnifier before but I'm told it's not as good as dedicated scope due to field of view constraints. I also have another Aimpoint Pro (stock mount) on my DDM4. That would give me the option of switching easily from gun to gun. I'm really leaning toward the Aimpoint but I don't want to make a mistake since I don't have access to either of these optics.

Alaskapopo
08-16-11, 05:17
I'm trying to decide which one to use here on a new RFB rifle (.308 bullpup) that I just ordered. The RFB has no sights so you need to purchase something. I have an Aimpoint Pro (stock mount) already that I could toss on it and was thinking of getting the magnifier....or a TR24. The TR is pretty quick on 1X but no where as quick as the Aimpoint. I plan on doing some hog hunting with the gun, but otherwise I would be using magnification more than half the time. I've never used a magnifier before but I'm told it's not as good as dedicated scope due to field of view constraints. I also have another Aimpoint Pro (stock mount) on my DDM4. That would give me the option of switching easily from gun to gun. I'm really leaning toward the Aimpoint but I don't want to make a mistake since I don't have access to either of these optics.

I used to run a M4 with a magnifier in a flip mount. Not a bad set up. The pros are you have a reflex sight that is easier to use in akward positions. The down side is for shooting past 300 yards. There is no real way to dial in to a longer range zero quickly with a red dot. I prefer the TR24 that I now run on my patrol rifle.
Pros of the TR24. Does not need batteries, is cheaper than a Aimpoint plus magifier. allows you to use powers 1,2,3,4 vs just 1 and 3 with a red dot and magnifier set up.
Pat

ntstambo2
08-16-11, 08:22
Thanks. I'm leaning toward the TR24 however I already have 2 Aimpoints. I'm also a lefty and I think the flip mount from Larue will throw the magnifier right into my face when it's not in use. I also researched a bunch of old posts on both optics, but the pictures that someone posted on their review of the magnifier were no longer available. I'd love to see what it looks like through both tubes aiming at a target. Can anyone post a few pics? Thanks

Submariner
08-16-11, 10:52
I'm also a lefty and I think the flip mount from Larue will throw the magnifier right into my face when it's not in use.

Have you tried putting the LT mount on backwards so you can rotate the 3X away from your face?

ntstambo2
08-16-11, 10:56
I wasn't sure if you could do that as I don't have it yet. I was trying to decide what to buy. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to pick up a TR24 but now need to decide on green or red...decisions, decisions. I hear that the green could wash out during the daytime if you're in foliage, so I'm searching for a picture of it so I can see what it's like.

I might pick up a magnifier later for my AR, but this gun is going to have a TR24 on it.

Failure2Stop
08-18-11, 17:36
I might pick up a magnifier later for my AR, but this gun is going to have a TR24 on it.

For most of my applications that benefit from an RDS I prefer a fixed rear BUIS over the 3X magnifier, and the times that I like magnification I generally like a better reticle and view.

There are several low powered variables that I would take over the TR24 though, unless you have already made your decision/purchase.

Underwhere
08-19-11, 00:50

I have rifles with Aimpoint PRO, Aimpoint T1, Accupoint TR24.
It really depends on what you are going to use it for. If it's going to be close up hunting where you need to shoulder and get the the first shot off quick then I would go with the PRO. It's going to be much faster unmagnified. If that's really the case then I would say to just go for the T1 because you really don't need 2MOA for up close and quick.

If you want to shoot 50+ yards and precisely then the TR24 is great.
I run it in a Larue LT-104 with a Charles Drissel cat tail.
If I had to do it all over again I'd consider getting Larue's higher mount (not necessary to get the extended one).
At 1X and up close it's not slow, but it certainly not as fast as the T1 or PRO.

It sounds like if you are considering the magnifier that you are thinking of longer range applications. If you can deal with just a hair slower while being up close the I think the TR24 is a great choice.

I love mine and I fear I am gradually preferring it to my T-1 Micro.

cop1211
08-19-11, 03:52
I used to run a M4 with a magnifier in a flip mount. Not a bad set up. The pros are you have a reflex sight that is easier to use in akward positions. The down side is for shooting past 300 yards. There is no real way to dial in to a longer range zero quickly with a red dot. I prefer the TR24 that I now run on my patrol rifle.
Pros of the TR24. Does not need batteries, is cheaper than a Aimpoint plus magifier. allows you to use powers 1,2,3,4 vs just 1 and 3 with a red dot and magnifier set up.
Pat

This.

ryr8828
08-19-11, 06:20
I think you'll be happy with your choice. I put a 1-4 on my RFB, a leatherwood cmr. The set up seems pretty much tailored to the RFB.

Be careful of your choice of mounts or you'll skin your knuckles on the charging handle. Being left handed you might want to move the charging handle to the right side though so no worries then.